Thread: Clover plot

Default Clover plot

I planted red and white clover last year. Due to my schedule I have not been able to tend to it till now. I have always sprayed but have heard about mowing. Right now oats and some grasses are about waist high and the clover is about .5 to 1ft shorther than that. I’m afraid if I mow it all the cutttings will choke it out. What do you suggest to do to try to keep it so I don’t have to replant.

If you could mow it before this rain, you should be good to go.

Once clover gets to a certain height it becomes "stemy" and the deer do not prefer it as much.

The only thing you risk when cutting it is the fact that it could go without rain for a while, dry out and die.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

How low would you cut it back

I have done that before and the cuttings choked it out

what types of red and white clovers do you have planted?

Crimson and Durana

Your crimson is going to be close to done rather you cut it or not. The durana should be fine.

I dang sure wouldn't scalp it down to the dirt, maybe to 6-8 inches

Would just have to see it

Like GutPile said, you crimson is almost done.

I would say if the clover is thick below the grass, cut it high and then come back and spray grass killer.
    Or you can come and spray grass killer...wait...then spray again once lower.

Ive sprayed grass waist high before with a higher concentration then came back 2 weeks later and sprayed again. Then mowed and fertilized and it worked ok.

Ok just seems like every year we plant durana and it goes to shit. I want to try to maintain it then just drill crimson and oats in the fall

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Ok just seems like every year we plant durana and it goes to shit. I want to try to maintain it then just drill crimson and oats in the fall
    Here lies your problem. Divide your plot into 3rds. Plant each one separate......or at least separate the white clover and mix the red clover and oats. Mow everything down to 3 inches tomorrow or Saturday.. With next week's predicted weather.....it should be beautiful in 10 days.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Why separate most mixes I have ever seen have both red and white clovers? That’s new to me.

I would leave it and let it shield it from the summer heat and make excellent bedding cover. Mow and spray in the fall to freshen it up!

Also planting white clover on the west side of the field so it only gets morning sun will also help.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by camotoon60 View Post
    I would leave it and let it shield it from the summer heat and make excellent bedding cover. Mow and spray in the fall to freshen it up!
    Another solid option. This is what we do at my SW GA club due to the extreme heat and very long summers there. Keeping your clover in the shade by the way of oats and wheat and keeping a bunch of moisture in the soil will help your Durana make it.