Thread: ATTN: Parents of kids ages 6-22

Default ATTN: Parents of kids ages 6-22

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles..._hsmi=63046704

Just something you might want to read....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Good read. Having an 19 month old boy makes me wonder about what is next for him. Its crazy in my 30 plus years of life how parenting is so much different than years before. Well, I guess it doesn't have to be. Just don't give them any of this crap.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    Good read. Having an 19 month old boy makes me wonder about what is next for him. Its crazy in my 30 plus years of life how parenting is so much different than years before. Well, I guess it doesn't have to be. Just don't give them any of this crap.
    You’re right that it doesn’t have to be.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Separate by related topic. Why are these generations still so short? Igen generation is 1995 to 2012. Is 18 really a realistic definition of a generation these days? Sure there are exceptions, but most people aren't giving birth at the age of 18 these days.

As for the article the impacts are interesting for sure. I put less blame on the electronic devices than the author. I agree that smartphones and social media are dangerous for kids. But I think the bigger problem is just lack of active outdoor time. And the generation before that grew up watching Nickelodeon wasn't much better.

I didn't know that ignoring data trends was a sin. I guess Jesus must have updated the Bible app.

Every generation of parents that ever existed has to deal with the nuances of innovation and technology they never had in their childhood but are forced to deal with as a parental figure. You don't have to embrace the changes, but you do have to accept the reality that they exist and will be a part of your kids' upbringing whether you allow or disallow it. My wife and I try to be as proactively involved with our kids and stay a few steps ahead of the curve the best we can. I read an author that once said "If you can get them through the end of college years (22), and they are still alive and kicking, you are a successful parent." Obviously, that is to be taken tongue and cheek, but it is a daily battle and not for the faint of heart. Those who aren't willing to put in the time shouldn't have kids.
    I'm going to heaven for the weather and hell for the company.

Be dangerous, unpredictable, and make a whole lot of noise.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    Every generation of parents that ever existed has to deal with the nuances of innovation and technology they never had in their childhood but are forced to deal with as a parental figure. You don't have to embrace the changes, but you do have to accept the reality that they exist and will be a part of your kids' upbringing whether you allow or disallow it. My wife and I try to be as proactively involved with our kids and stay a few steps ahead of the curve the best we can. I read an author that once said "If you can get them through the end of college years (22), and they are still alive and kicking, you are a successful parent." Obviously, that is to be taken tongue and cheek, but it is a daily battle and not for the faint of heart. Those who aren't willing to put in the time shouldn't have kids.
    Spot on

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Separate by related topic. Why are these generations still so short? Igen generation is 1995 to 2012. Is 18 really a realistic definition of a generation these days? Sure there are exceptions, but most people aren't giving birth at the age of 18 these days.

As for the article the impacts are interesting for sure. I put less blame on the electronic devices than the author. I agree that smartphones and social media are dangerous for kids. But I think the bigger problem is just lack of active outdoor time. And the generation before that grew up watching Nickelodeon wasn't much better.
    yeah but doug and hey arnold were awesome shows
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Fortnite is the debil.