Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rio?

Great bird and hunt. I wouldn’t give a damn what his DNA is. He’s a turkey that gobbled and got shot. Congrats.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Dang people like you. You are one of the very, very few on this site who wouldn’t get absolutely lambasted for shooting at a turkey at that range. Looks like a Rio. Very pretty area. Glad it was exciting for you. Just imagine how exciting it would have been had you had called him into turkey hunting range.
    Carolina Counsel

I get what you are saying...but distance is relative out there. Not saying I couldn’t have eventually worked him in closer, but I had a 22 hour drive ahead of me and a pre K graduation deadline...which my wife put high priority on for some reason. That said, that may have been it for what he was going to do...IDK much how they act out there yet other than knowing from the couple of half days of observing them that they see stuff 1000 yards away like birds here see at 100, and they know that there isn’t much out there to hide what they hear. You can’t walk slowly anywhere out there without walking into the wide ass open, so while that Tom was curious and kept strutting out there for a look-see and to show off for me...there was no way he was going to walk away from and lose sight of that hen to come across a log to check out a hen that he couldn’t see. I was really confident that he would die quickly at that distance, and no way was I eating tag soup simply because I didn’t get him to strut into some magical, correct distance. I’m not, and I likely will never be that good at the game.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Dang people like you. You are one of the very, very few on this site who wouldn’t get absolutely lambasted for shooting at a turkey at that range. Looks like a Rio. Very pretty area. Glad it was exciting for you. Just imagine how exciting it would have been had you had called him into turkey hunting range.
    I just re-read this. What's funny to me is that you say that I'm one of the few on here that wouldn't get blasted for an 82 yard shot, and you say it like you have been the victim of a bunch of other posters' criticism of long shots or "unethical" hunting. You phrase your comment as if you do not condone the common internet practice of making unnecessary hunting-method negative comments...then you follow that up immediately with a backhanded compliment about the hunt and experience. Strange...

As for imagining how exciting it would be had I called him in to turkey hunting range...what range exactly is that? I've had Toms die at 15 yards, and I've had them die at 82 and a bunch of distances in between. I can not recall any hunt being any more exciting than another based on how close the bird ended up before the gun went bang.

BTW, here is my 55 yard pattern for the ethics police...I knew the bird was going to die if I did my part right.

Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 05-23-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Do you have a scope on your shotgun? Just curious because I feel like my bead would of covered up the entire bird at 82 yards.
    Last edited by Marv870; 05-23-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    I just re-read this. What's funny to me is that you say that I'm one of the few on here that wouldn't get blasted for an 82 yard shot, and you say it like you have been the victim of a bunch of other posters' criticism of long shots or "unethical" hunting. You phrase your comment as if you do not condone the common internet practice of making unnecessary hunting-method negative comments...then you follow that up immediately with a backhanded compliment about the hunt and experience. Strange...

As for imagining how exciting it would be had I called him in to turkey hunting range...what range exactly is that? I've had Toms die at 15 yards, and I've had them die at 82 and a bunch of distances in between. I can not recall any hunt being any more exciting than another based on how close the bird ended up before the gun went bang.

BTW, here is my 55 yard pattern for the ethics police...I knew the bird was going to die if I did my part right.

You killed he bird, and that was the point of shooting. However, if you shot that gun and load at that target at 82 yards, you’d realize just how fortunate you were. That pattern goes way down hill from 55-82
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I guess I grew up with different standards. Perhaps not ethics, as that is a personal principle. However, You won't ever read about me shooting at a turkey at long distances. Lucky to have killed it.. haven't kept up with how many birds I have killed with green pus filled shot holes, but it's plenty.

Lots of birds that folks shoot at and think are missed, are not.

For me, calling them close IS the game. I've eaten plenty of tag soup and don't regret not taking a shot at a bird that wasn't close.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post

There was actually some strange autocorrect on my post that screwed up the first line. I’m not the ethics police. I don’t get blasted here or anywhere else for my ethics because I am ethical. I take shots at ethical distances. I don’t give a damn what shotgun, choke, or shell you use, I don’t think 82 yards at a turkey is a good shot. I didn’t make a backhanded compliment. I am glad you enjoyed it. I do think the area is pretty. I also think that taking that shot was a poor decision from a statistical standpoint (dead turkey or not) and I was shocked that the thread went over a page without someone saying it. You post neat stories. I like them. You seem like a good dude. I don’t dislike you. I just thought it was interesting and I don’t think many members would have posted that without backlash (my real point), much less have gotten profuse congratulations. ETA: that pattern at 55 yards would not have given me confidence at that range in the field or beyond.
    Last edited by Carolina Counsel; 05-23-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    Carolina Counsel

I get ya. I will definitely go shoot the gun at 85 to see what pattern I get. I have a tru-glo back/front adjustable I just put on there this season because I missed a bird last year that surprised me and got too close too quick, and I flat missed him. Funny how had I not put the sight on for close up birds, I wouldn’t have taken that long poke, because there is no way I could have felt like I was or actually been lined up with my shitty 49 yo eyes with just the front dot. That truglo was surprisingly...how do I say it...tight-looking when I drew down on him. Red left, red right, and green dot between them...when The green dot covered his light-bulb head, I squeezed. Y’all very well could be correct about it being lucky I killed him, and I’m going to find out by patterning the gun at 85 when I get back out there. I never patterned it that far, because I never thought I’d ever take a shot that far...until about 2 minutes before I took it. Hell, I only patterned it at 55 to see if the hype I saw on YouTube was true...never planned on taking a 55 yard shot let alone 82-85. That pattern along with results I had seen out of same setup at 75 along with the situation put me on go and had me pretty confident I’d knock many holes in his head and he’d die. I do want to know for sure though, because while a 45 yard shot seems loooong to me in the eastern forests and midwestern woodlots, that shot just did not seem like a long one at all out there. Hard to explain that, because it seems weird typing it even though I experienced it.

82-85 yards with lead has nothing to do with the number of pellets, it has to do with the lack of energy

You got lucky, really lucky

Congrats on the gobbler
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    82-85 yards with lead has nothing to do with the number of pellets, it has to do with the lack of energy

You got lucky, really lucky

Congrats on the gobbler
    Might be right...what energy is a lead #5s pellet transferring to the target at 45 yards vs 85 yards?
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 05-23-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Welcome to the anti legion.

Turkey hunters are stupid. Cool bird and neat spot!
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Read post 21. Pat yourself on the back and do it again the next time. Haters are going to repeat what they do.

Good killin.

I seriously would like to see some relevant ballistics data on turkey loads. I like to see true scientific data vs going on anecdotal stuff and personal opinions. That said, I know some pellets penetrated the chest feathers and cavity, so that tells me that the load is retaining pretty decent energy at that distance. The really telling thing, however, about the downrange energy transferred to the bird was the fact that it flopped less than any birds I’ve ever killed at any distance except for the two I killed with the same load at 25-30 yards...and they did not twitch. So, while I believe that there is a real chance I got lucky and put some pellets in the brain and spine despite there being poor pattern coverage at that distance, it’s hard for me to understand how I got lucky regarding penetration. The Head was pouring blood, but maybe I got lucky and had a pellet penetrate the brain through the eye socket or ear canal. Regardless, if ballistics show poor energy at that distance but my pattern is good, I may have to switch to TSS 6s or 7s.

I’d rather get them to 25-30 every time, but like the GW and the Taxidermist I talked to there said...getting into or getting one to get within traditional shotgun range in that area involves a lot more sheer luck than it does calling skill and doing everything right...that’s why they allow rifle hunting...which, btw, will keep me from ever using a decoy out there.

So while I want them at 30, I can certainly see where I need to extend my effective range as much as possible. I will look into any ballistic data that exists so I’m not spreading the puss-filled-turkey epidemic described earlier in this thread to the great state of Wyoming. In the meantime, it appears that there are some folks on here that know a good bit about the specifics of the ballistic performance of copper coated lead 5s, and Id like to know that information...ie. How much energy is required to reliably punch through a turkeys skull or spine and at what distance does the load consistently drop below that energy level?

Would be great if Winchester started using TSS in the longbeard XR shell/resin technology...well, great for those of us who don’t mind shooting one at 50+ yards if necessary.

I'm looking for #5's but I have found this

Maximum distance to achieve 1.3 inches of ballistic gell penetration, most ppl use 1.25 as a minimum to kill a turkey. 1,100fps, 1,000ft, 70F.

hevishot 7 = 47yds
    lead 6 = 49
    hevishot 6 = 60
    heavyweight 8 = 64
    TSS 9 = 74
    heavyweight 7 = 81
    TSS 8 = 96

And I'm not saying you did anything wrong, you killed the turkey

Just stating that I do think you got lucky and plenty of times that turkey runs off injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    And I'm not saying you did anything wrong, you killed the turkey

Just stating that I do think you got lucky and plenty of times that turkey runs off injured.
    I know...and I don't ever want that scenario to happen to me. That XR shell technology is throwing ridiculous patterns, so it only makes sense for Winchester to combine it with the TSS if possible. If that ballistics data is correct, then the patterning ability they have created is far outrunning the penetrating ability of the projectiles they are using. If they can combine the two, it would be crazy and sales would be nuts.