Thread: PODs?????

Default PODs?????

Not sure if that is what these are called. I saw this boat at the gas station earlier and it looks like
    he just had them fabricated and installed. What is the purpose? I assume more floatation in the ass end?
    You think he needed them due to that heavy 4 stroke? Would my 16ft benefit from a set of these in any way?

IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg

Pretty sure those are Beavertail Pods. Guys put them on boats that squat in the ass end to make them draft less water. My son put them on a 1756 that had a merc 75 on it. They worked pretty good on his boat. Made for an easy step getting in and out of the boat too.
    E T

Quote Originally Posted by E. Taylor View Post
    Made for an easy step getting in and out of the boat too.
    This. No idea if they are needed on my boat or not. They came with it used and I have a small motor on it. But I love them when getting back in the boat.

But yes ultimate purpose is more floatation. If your boat is working for you why look for a problem to a solution you saw?
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 05-19-2018 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    This. No idea if they are needed on my boat or not. They came with it used and I have a small motor on it. But I love them when getting back in the boat.

But yes ultimate purpose is more floatation. If your boat is working for you why look for a problem to a solution you saw?
    What if it improved something on my rig like drafting less water while flounder gigging? Maybe I would like a step for getting back in the boat? Oh and I like to see Palmetto Trooper make cool stuff
    Last edited by ecu1984; 05-19-2018 at 10:19 PM.

I was looking At getting some for my old sea ark bc I had way too much weight in back for a 42” bottom. I went to a boat guy to get him to weld me some and he said the little bit of bouyancy I’d add would NOT out weigh the drop in performance of the hull. He also made the point that if I go to sell the boat (which I did) that something that custom would hurt my resale value, which I’ve come to agree with. Long story short, I would think twice before getting them.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Does his truck look like this?

images.jpeg

Pods on a tunnel hull with a hydraulic jack plate will run in a couple inches of water WOT. On a conventional hull I believe they'd create more turbulence and cause performance issues. I'd rather have a full hunt deck vs. pods.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Pods on a tunnel hull with a hydraulic jack plate will run in a couple inches of water WOT. On a conventional hull I believe they'd create more turbulence and cause performance issues. I'd rather have a full hunt deck vs. pods.
    that makes sense