Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why SC teachers are leaving in record numbers

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    It's a positive for private schools. Good teachers are willing to work for less money when they don't have to deal with public school administrators.
    Probably depends on the private school. I bet some of the high dollar schools have the same parental pressures to give Johnny good grades as many of the public ones.

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    Probably depends on the private school. I bet some of the high dollar schools have the same parental pressures to give Johnny good grades as many of the public ones.
    I'm sure it does. But don't think public school teachers aren't under the same pressure. Different motivations but same outcome.

But parent involvement (good or bad) is a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    With a Masters + 30 and National Board, in the right district with the right incentives, teachers could make good money. My wife did, and it was never about the money for her. But I DO think that there was a mentality in administration (not only directed at her) to make life difficult on the higher paid teachers so they would leave, and then the school could literally hire two fresh out of school teachers for the same money they were paying the experienced/skilled teacher.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    I think the Nat board certification was grandfathered out. At least in Ga it was. Pretty sure that was everywhere.

Any career at 30+ years should be good money (especially with advanced degrees or certifications). The problem is that most careers don't reward you only for years of service. At least not in the private sector.

And you are absolutely right about years of service. Let a school district run short on money. The first thing they try to do is hire more first year teachers.

I'm a public school product and put myself through college while working full time. I competed for grades with private school kids and I got a good perspective on how ill-prepared I was.

I do not have a current finger on the pulse of education but from my distant viewpoint, I wouldn't mind if public education was starved to extinction. I think we'd be better off with free market, all private education. I think it is preposterous that there even exist such a thing as a truancy officer. I think "free public education" cheapens and degrades the goal we strive to achieve. "No kid left behind" means no kid is allowed excel. Exceptional students are held back and hobbled so that dull kids can graduate with their class. The kids don't understand or appreciate the value of the opportunity that they are force fed.

In other countries, people make great sacrifices for the chance to send their kids to school. The kids appreciate the chance and work hard to get to an education. Parents stay involved because they compete for the chance and they have to stroke a check that reminds them of the investment they are making. Here, the cost of school is deducted from your paycheck invisibly whether you have kids or not. Here, kids "have" to go to school and they hate it. We produce marginal and sub-marginal graduates that can't read or write. Discipline over these forced students is difficult to maintain. We shouldn't be "making" kids go to school.

If I were king, I would make parents culpable for the crimes of their kids. If your kid goes to school with a gun and shoots up the place, your ass goes to jail, same as if your pitbull mauled some kids. If parents felt the burden of their kids' crimes, first person shooter video games would be very hard to find. Kids would respect gun safety like the old days. Rude, unruly kids would be extremely rare. Parents would be extremely involved in what their kids were doing.

We absolve kids from legal responsibility but forget to reassign that responsibility to someone else. It belongs on the parents. As odd as that sound today, that's how it felt when I was growing up. I fully believed that if I got in trouble, it could affect my dad's employment. That kept me in line. That also kept my parents involved in every aspect of my development.

I was lucky. In my mind, I had some of the greatest high school teachers in Tallahassee. I had two teachers that experienced my brother before me. I assumed that would be a death sentence. They did the exact opposite. They encouraged and inspired me. I wanted to go to college but couldn’t come near to afford the cost, so I joined the Army. I contacted and thanked them after each degree I earned while in the Army. My daughter just enrolled for grad school this summer and my son is a sophomore. We’re all business majors and my teachers are a part of that legacy. They may be the most under compensated profession in this country.
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

Supply and demand, nothing else to see here.

It all boils down to the pussification of America. It all started when people started being taught “their feelings matter”. Heck, it’s already ruined of our armed forces!! Pussies graduate high school then join the Army, then they graduate basic; still a pussy because the whole dang system went soft!!

I have a friend that is a NCOIC (E8), he told me the other day that one of his E6’s told him “that he felt he was being picked on”. How the heck can a grown ass man be picked on??!! Maybe it’s the fact he’s not doing his job to the standard is why he’s getting extra attention! With how today’s society has these shitbird’s brains wired, they think they can just complain about “being picked on” and the problem will just stop. How about do your job, quit being a pussy and act like a real man! It’s a crying shame what todays society is putting out for so called men. I applaud the guys on this site for how you’re raising your kids, maybe we will have a shot down the road.

Parents are to blame too, no one is raising kids anymore. They just give them Vedeo games and ignore them. Then they send them to school to be raised. My wife taught 4th grade in a title 1 public school for over 8 years. I couldn’t wait for her to be able to quit that crap! She’d come home so stressed out that it was effecting her health. Neck pain, ulcers, etc; All mysteriously disappeared after she quit teaching.

The whole system is screwed. She would actually get in trouble for going above and beyond “the curriculum”. She knew that the kids were not getting taught the things they needed to equip them for the next grade. So she’d have to sneak and teach them.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    I think the Nat board certification was grandfathered out. At least in Ga it was. Pretty sure that was everywhere.

Any career at 30+ years should be good money (especially with advanced degrees or certifications). The problem is that most careers don't reward you only for years of service. At least not in the private sector.

And you are absolutely right about years of service. Let a school district run short on money. The first thing they try to do is hire more first year teachers.
    In regards to th last part, there is/was a mess in 96 a few weeks ago over two veteran teachers not getting rehired.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmet Gobbler View Post
    Teacing is the best part time job with benefits that anyone can get. quit yer whining!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    Is it safe to assume that you had a “part time” teacher?
    It would seem to be so. Buffoons like him are another part of the problems facing teachers in this country.
    \"Free your mind, your ass will follow\"

A thread full of peanuts, slingers and gaffers. Nice day of trolling for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    A thread full of peanuts, slingers and gaffers. Nice day of trolling for sure.
    A regular ole mouse trap.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmet Gobbler View Post
    Teacing is the best part time job with benefits that anyone can get. quit yer whining!
    Probably shouldn't have said that, huh?
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

They'll figure out a way to raise our taxes to increase the teacher pay as compared to bring fiscally responsible with what they already get.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Careful -there could be a puppy within arms reach of G
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Education accounted for 37.7 percent of state expenditures in fiscal year 2015

You’d think that they’d have already figured out that throwing money at something won’t fix it, but politicians gonna politic. I bet God tells em that more money will fix everything......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    They'll figure out a way to raise our taxes to increase the teacher pay as compared to bring fiscally responsible with what they already get.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My wife does not want the money, just get the couple of shit bags out of her class so she can teach. You know the hitters, cussers, throwing things, bullies. Not even allowed to write them up without her calling parents first. If I had done the shit she tells me about I would have been sitting in or around the principals office till my mom came and got me. Then all hell would have broken loose on me. There was an organized fight club with the kids video taping it in the bathrooms. This is 5th and 6th grade. Those kids are still there in school. That is what our kids have to put up with everyday because suspensions and expulsions look bad on a school districts record.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    My wife does not want the money, just get the couple of shit bags out of her class so she can teach. You know the hitters, cussers, throwing things, bullies. Not even allowed to write them up without her calling parents first. If I had done the shit she tells me about I would have been sitting in or around the principals office till my mom came and got me. Then all hell would have broken loose on me. There was an organized fight club with the kids video taping it in the bathrooms. This is 5th and 6th grade. Those kids are still there in school. That is what our kids have to put up with everyday because suspensions and expulsions look bad on a school districts record.
    Probably time for some to plant a camera in their room for a few days with these kids that disrupt class all day everyday. Once they realize there are no repercussions the behavior probably gets worse.

Then file a report with the administration and district. When they fail to act then go to the media and start naming names (get someone to blur faces to protect against privacy stuff) and find some bedazzled politicians to start changing some laws to get these kids out.

Scorch the damn earth on the way out.

8.75 an hour? Maybe she can help you with some math. The average starting SALARY for teachers is about $33,000.00 in SC. Teachers work 37 weeks per year on their "185 day" job. If said victim worked 80 hours per week, that would be $11.14 per hour. 50 hours per week would equate to $13.20 per hour. Once your bride reaches 102 hours per week, she will earn that $8.75 hourly rate. A regular person who worked a full year ( call it 50 weeks, assuming two weeks paid vacation ) would gross the same money and have to provide 11 more weeks of labor than the poor, overworked teacher. I in no way belive that teachers do not work for a living. I know that many other professions have to work much harder for less. Also, remember that a teacher who starts work right out of college can retire with benefits and State retirement at age 52 or 53. No one forces people to become teachers. If they don't feel adequately compensated, there are plenty of private sector jobs available.
    Last edited by Gourmet Gobbler; 05-21-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    Probably shouldn't have said that, huh?
    See above.