Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why SC teachers are leaving in record numbers

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Why SC teachers are leaving in record numbers

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I hope it hits rock bottom. Listening to my wife bitch about the bs that the administration comes up with on a daily basis, I can only pray for a complete break down of the public education system. This year's graduates will go down as some of the most intelligent yet dumbest bunch of kids on record. but wait, because next year will break this year's record.

NC lost 13,000 teachers last year. To worsen matters, several companies (think banking) in Charlotte/Raleigh are recruiting NC public teachers for cooperate jobs. Literally offering to double their salary.
    Last edited by wiz18; 05-19-2018 at 05:01 PM.

My wife is a teacher. 95% of the problem is discipline or the lack of to be exact. Over half the staff at her school found other jobs for the coming year. At school district office that thought the parents were always right. And administration that would take the kids word over the teachers. She is giving it one more year.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

The teachers i have come in contact over the last few years need to leave. Its the same in the schools right now as in any other job. They just want to draw a check.

Teacing is the best part time job with benefits that anyone can get. quit yer whining!

It's a positive for private schools. Good teachers are willing to work for less money when they don't have to deal with public school administrators.

There are less teacher graduates each spring as well. The teacher shortage is real.

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmet Gobbler View Post
    Teacing is the best part time job with benefits that anyone can get. quit yer whining!
    Is it safe to assume that you had a “part time” teacher?
    Last edited by Roddie; 05-19-2018 at 06:51 PM.
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

Wife was a SC teacher 27 years ago, still has lots of friends who teach in SC. Pay sucked then; Pay sucks now. Principals were terrible then; principals still terrible. Nothing has changed other a lot less people willing to into teaching.

You think? With the hours my wife puts in, it comes to about $8.75/hour. You work for that? Part time? Bullshit. Benefits? Insurance is 1 step above Obamacare, more money out of her check for retirement but her check will be less when she gets to draw. Maybe you should research the topic before you put stupid shit like that in a comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose843 View Post
    You think? With the hours my wife puts in, it comes to about $8.75/hour. You work for that? Part time? Bullshit. Benefits? Insurance is 1 step above Obamacare, more money out of her check for retirement but her check will be less when she gets to draw. Maybe you should research the topic before you put stupid shit like that in a comment.
    I appreciate your wife’s commitment to her profession and your support for her. Thank you both.
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

My wife was a pre-school special needs teacher... busted her ass to improve herself, Masters + 30 hours, National Board Certification. She could put up with a lot of issues with parents not parenting, but dealing with a principle that was about one tick short of Attila the Hun was finally more than she could bear, so she retired when she could. She taught under several principles and I NEVER saw on administrator single handedly demoralize an entire school's teacher pool like that, and the District not caring. Turn over every year was incredible.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

You are an idiot.

My wife has taught for 19.5 years. She has her bachelor's in early childhood, her masters degree in learning disabilities, her plus 30, and her national board certification. She can get a job teaching at any school she wants, but has decided to give it up this year. And the pay still sucks for what she has to deal with. School has become nothing more than a daycare for a lot of parents. A lot of parents couldn't give a crap about what happens at school. The administration will quickly tell all staff that they can't do anything to help them, if they lay a finger on a student. Even if it is just putting an arm on their shoulders to comfort them for a difficult situation they have delt with, or to congratulate them for a job well done. She is at school before 7:00 am, and rarely leaves before 5:00 every afternoon. Even with that much time at school, she still spends lots of time grading papers when she gets home. And to add to the b/s, they are told to do whatever they can to pass every student. Regardless of how little they can do for their grade level.

So, before you start spouting off a bunch of ignorant ass comments, you should know what you are talking about.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Just to put it in perspective. A teacher with 10 years experience is making around 40k in SC (it varies based on education and by county). As has been said the benefits are shit. Retirement is ok but health care is pretty pathetic.

260 work days in the year. 10 days vacation is average. 2 weeks vacation puts us at 240. 185/240 = 77%. So convert that to a full year and it's 48,800 for someone that has 10 years of experience and a college degree. That ignores time and expense for continued education. It's not bad but far from most people's standards. And the only way to make more money is to get more education or more years of experience.

I'm not saying that more money will fix the issue. Just pointing out the stupidity of some in this thread. I sure as hell wouldn't put up with what they put up with for that kind of "career".

My mom and sister are not leaving teaching because of a lack of pay, they are leaving for the other BS they have to deal with. My sister taught just one year but is leaving after having desks and chairs thrown at her all year and an administration that crippled her from handling the problem students. Mom would stay but after 30 years is tired of the crap from the administration and government. My wife is a teacher and doesn’t get compensated for how hard she works just like most teachers and would have probably quit already but now has a great adminstration backing her. She still has more crap in paperwork than anyone should have but she is going to stick with it at least for now.
    For the ducks

The majority of the people making good money in the educational system, don't work in the schools, and don't have to put up with dysfunctional kids coming from dysfunctional homes. The administration absolutely does not want teachers to write up a kid for anything. They are more concerned with their rating, than actually educating the students.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

With a Masters + 30 and National Board, in the right district with the right incentives, teachers could make good money. My wife did, and it was never about the money for her. But I DO think that there was a mentality in administration (not only directed at her) to make life difficult on the higher paid teachers so they would leave, and then the school could literally hire two fresh out of school teachers for the same money they were paying the experienced/skilled teacher.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

My mom was a high school math teacher for close to 30 years. She loved it. She retired, and went to a private school to teach a couple classes a week. She also has taught a few classes at Midland's Tech. That woman is a machine. She never took a day off except to go to chemo when she was diagnosed with cancer. Even then, she went in to teach when she wasn't throwing up. She couldn't stand the thought of anyone teaching her classes. She is my hero. She never made any money, but she made a huge impact, and that's all she ever wanted to do.
    Last edited by Moonlight Hunter; 05-19-2018 at 08:50 PM.

Splitting hairs, but I think teachers are at 190 instead 185 days.