Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why SC teachers are leaving in record numbers

i get a headache reading most of this stuff....but i cant help but agree with a little on both sides.

BUT, my mind keeps saying "how come I dont hear about this stuff at my kids school?" I dont hear about discipline problems and I dont hear teachers complaining much, if at all. So, my math brain says the difference is the kid, not the teacher.

Hmmmm.....so how do we keep the good teachers and get rid of the bad kids? IMO, the answer is simple, but it won't work in today's PC society where the .gov is paying the bills.

Until then, teachers will still complain about pay and bad kids when they could make more money elsewhere. So, that, too is an easy fix. Go get a different job.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Public education is due for mass disruption. Bureaucratic institutions don't disrupt themselves. It will take something catastrophic before positive change really happens.

All that said, my kids have had a few wonderful teachers that I wouldn't trade places with for any amount of money. If you want to find a glimmer of hope for humanity, you'd probably best look to the teaching profession.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

my plan would work, catastrophically.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

BUT, my mind keeps saying "how come I dont hear about this stuff at my kids school?" I dont hear about discipline problems and I dont hear teachers complaining much, if at all. So, my math brain says the difference is the kid, not the teacher.
    Where do your kids go to school?
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Malcolm X Elementary

There was a time when parents knew and admitted that their kids weren't perfect, and we're completely capable of doing bad things. Teachers were treated with respect, and kids had manners. They didn't have to deal with students cussing them out, and throwing things in the classroom. During that time, parents expected and encouraged teachers and principals to discipline their children at school. And then the kids received more discipline when they got home. But now, little Johnny and little Jane aren't capable of committing any such horrible act unless it was provoked by some ungrateful and worthless teacher. And if you say they have, and/or lay a hand on them, you can expect to end up in a lawsuit. And have your career abruptly ended.

So many people these days think that a little "timeout" is all that is needed, and the kids will straighten up. Yes, we have a place for "timeout" at our house, but it is used for them to reflect upon why they just got their butt cut.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Bring back the paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    I'm with Tater. Things will be alot less tense in my house next week.
    Every year, last day of school, when my wife got home there was a vase of fresh flowers, a coupon to a spa, and dinner was cooked. It paid off.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Chardonnay and quaaludes have the same result. Pro tip.

my wife is a teacher. she has known she wanted to be a teacher since she was in grade school. shes got a masters degree in education from USC, not to mention all the other continuing ed shes done. she will absolutely always be a teacher, whether its in the public school system or when shes eventually had enough, and/or retired maybe she will end up in a private school....its never been a money issue with her, she knew going in that the pay would suck compared to a "real job" (as most people say in these conversations)...teaching is in her blood, and honestly, she would probably do it for free.....

Her work ethic is amazing. it doesnt matter if its 3pm on a sunday afternoon or 9pm on a friday night, she is constantly thinking about teaching, reading something about teaching, working on lesson plans, grading papers, watching teaching videos, researching/buying new teaching tools, etc. I wish like hell she would have chosen a different career path and put forth equal effort towards a private sector job..... my bank account REALLY wishes she would have.... BUT, honestly, i dont think she would have that kind of work ethic at a normal job.... i really think there are alot of teachers out there that do it because they love teaching kids... And just like any other profession, there are the employees that like their job and career and want to be the best they can be, and there are the others (most) that view their jobs as just a paycheck........

in my simple little brain, from the outside looking in.... i feel like there are two major problems that teachers face...... not always in this particular order.....

#1-kids today arent taught or disciplined at home like they should be.... school is a daycare service and teachers dont get the at home help from the parents that they need to best educate the kids..... this is magnified by the fact that the kids cant get their asses cut by the principal any more... absolutely zero ramifications for the actions of these kids, not at home nor school. VERY LITTLE PARENTAL SUPPORT

#2- The teachers are handcuffed because the government wont get the hell out of the way and let these teachers teach these kids....... standards, common core, standardized testing, no child left behind, blah blah blah. too many rules made up by daddy government. from the third grade until they graduate, these teachers spend half a year prepping these kids for a stupid standardized test that helps the KID how?

you work on those two issues and the rest will fall into place. But the way it is right now, there are many many many more downsides to becoming a teacher than there once was..... the pride and enjoyment of being a teacher is not enough anymore to overcome the the administration issues, pay issues, lack of parental/community support issues, government red tape issues, etc etc...........

The big factor you left out of your equation is the parents.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    Where do your kids go to school?
    You're on the right path.

I've said it before, charter schools, magnet schools, private schools, etc. don't have a magical formula. The kids and teachers are potentially slightly more motivated. But the undeniable difference is the parent involvement.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 05-22-2018 at 01:53 PM.

^i could argue either side, uga and jj.

Its not about what school my kids go to....its about my kids. I can stand them making Cs, but if they disrupt the class or are a "discipline problem," we have an even BIGGER problem at home.

Teachers should teach, not parent.

As long as IEP's and 504's exist with their current credibility-stretching applications of what is a disability, a school's hands are tied to a great extent regarding disruptions both great and small.

You can get through life pretty well with a good attitude and mediocre grades.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    amen, sir

Its not about what school my kids go to....its about my kids. I can stand them making Cs, but if they disrupt the class or are a "discipline problem," we have an even BIGGER problem at home.

We're arguing the same side.

I think the fact that teachers are being forced to parent (while having their hands tied) is the root of the issue and is why public school teachers are leaving to go find other opportunities.

I agree with what you are saying, but I think it is also about where your kids go. My son went to Blythewood High for two years, and Thomas Sumter Academy for his junior and senior year. There is no comparison to the teaching, the administration, the discipline, and the overall problems. Public school is a joke. Some of the teachers are trying, but most are not, and the administration might as well be non-existent. At the private school, all of the teachers were trying, held the kids accountable and treated them like family. The administration supported the teachers, and discipline was enforced. Having seen both sides, I am sorry that I ever exposed my son to public school in SC. I could not afford private school and worked about three jobs to get him through those two years, but if I could do it all over, I would have sold plasma 3x a week and cut back on my heroin intake to get him through 12 years at TSA.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

You don't hear that everyday about TSA..

I went to public school, all of my kids are. I don't think I would change it. I mean if we lived across the river I wouldn't send them to Lugoff, no riverratting up in my house. Public education differs from town to town.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    There was a time when parents knew and admitted that their kids weren't perfect, and we're completely capable of doing bad things. Teachers were treated with respect, and kids had manners. They didn't have to deal with students cussing them out, and throwing things in the classroom. During that time, parents expected and encouraged teachers and principals to discipline their children at school. And then the kids received more discipline when they got home. But now, little Johnny and little Jane aren't capable of committing any such horrible act unless it was provoked by some ungrateful and worthless teacher. And if you say they have, and/or lay a hand on them, you can expect to end up in a lawsuit. And have your career abruptly ended.

So many people these days think that a little "timeout" is all that is needed, and the kids will straighten up. Yes, we have a place for "timeout" at our house, but it is used for them to reflect upon why they just got their butt cut.
    We called it getting the strap.Palms up and so many licks per hand.If my dad didn't think the teacher or principal made it hurt enough I was really gonna wish I hadn't been such a little prick at school that day. Heck even if you couldn't close you hand he'd apply the belt to your ass to help take your mind off of it.Ma was a hair / shower brush Warrior Queen let me tell you. Hell now days I could sue everybody and make it outta here with a pile of cash.
    Had to take a note to school next day from dad sometimes 'splainin why I might not sit down too good for a couple days.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Co-signed.