Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nasty Ass Starling!

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Nasty Ass Starling!

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

A veritable murmuration of starling.
    I'll take Hitchcock for $500. Alex
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

I've seen that in person a couple times. Cool to watch.

Am I the only one that wonders how many you could get with one shot?

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Nope
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Nasty ass ground under that tree.

38 with 2 3/4 8's.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Nope. I was even wondering how many you could get with a .22 in one shot.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by HARV View Post
    A veritable murmuration of starling.
    I'll take Hitchcock for $500. Alex
    Yep, tis a murmur. If'n it was crows it would be a murder of crows.

Who comes up with these names anyway, Edgar Allen Poe?
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 05-20-2018 at 04:40 PM.

About the only thing I know they are good for is hackle for small wet hackle flies. You can buy a skin for like $2. I remember reading they were introduced long ago and just googled to clarify. Just another gift from NYC.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    About the only thing I know they are good for is hackle for small wet hackle flies. You can buy a skin for like $2. I remember reading they were introduced long ago and just googled to clarify. Just another gift from NYC.
    So just like those house sparrows, notice they changed the name of'em since I was growing up, they were English Sparrows then. My dad said when he was a kid for a while Greenwood gave them 1¢ for every one they killed and turned in.

Heck when I was running around with a pellet rifle some cats were climbing on my aunt's new car. They were doing it to get up in the rafters of her open bay garage and they were scratching the paint job. Made her mad so she told me she would give me $5 for every cat I killed in the garage. She shouldn't have done that cause this was right before she retired which meant I had 8 hours a day to find cats and kill them. I forgot about that 'in the garage clause'. Hell a cat is a cat. One widow lady had taken the vent out on one of the breathers to her crawlspace so her cats could escape dogs and the rain. She had a buttload of cats and every day she would step out on her back porch and yell, "Here kitty, kitty, kitty." When she did that cats would come arunnin'. So I started laying in the woods behind her house with the trusty old tactical pellet sniper rifle and yelling, "Here kitty, kitty..." The first cat to present a good head shot got whacked! $5 more dollars to buy pellets and shotgun shells for real hunting. My aunt finally got wise to it and said I had kilt enough.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 05-22-2018 at 04:06 PM.

When I was an inveterate tweety bird whacker in my youth, starlings were prized. Suckers are smart, and seldom offered a good shot. I lived across the street from a big elementary school in Forest Acres, which was a magnet for starlings and English sparrows. The starlings would perch in the top of my grandmas house (next door), a big ass cedar so old it had a horse tie off ring hanging on it. It made for a long shot, but I figured the drop for my Sheridan Blue Streak set on 8 pumps.

English sparrows were everywhere, and I took a toll. We even trapped 'em in a Havahart trap to feed my brothers boa constrictor.

I have NEVER seen either at my feeder here. House finches and chipping sparrows galore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    So just like those house sparrows, notice they changed the name of'em since I was growing up, they were English Sparrows then. My dad said when he was a kid for a while Greenwood gave them 1¢ for every one they killed and turned in.

Heck when I was running around with a pellet rifle some cats were climbing on my aunt's new car. They were doing it to get up in the rafters of her open bay garage and they were scratching the paint job. Made her mad so she told me she would give me $5 for every cat I killed in the garage. She shouldn't have done that cause this was right before she retired which meant I had 8 hours a day to find cats and kill them. I forgot about that 'in the garage clause'. Hell a cat is a cat. One widow lady had taken the vent out on one of the breathers to her crawlspace so her cats could escape dogs and the rain. She had a buttload of cats and every day she would step out on her back porch and yell, "Here kitty, kitty, kitty." When she did that cats would come arunnin'. So I started laying in the woods behind her house with the trusty old tactical pellet sniper rifle and yelling, "Here kitty, kitty..." The first cat to present a good head shot got whacked! $5 more dollars to buy pellets and shotgun shells for real hunting. My aunt finally got wise to it and said I had kilt enough.
    I like my cat. He kills snakes and marsh rats. I don't think it's funny or makes you more tough to kill a cat one bit!
    867-5309

Yep. My cat is 17 years old and as much a member of the family as any other animal, including dogs, has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    I like my cat. He kills snakes and marsh rats. I don't think it's funny or makes you more tough to kill a cat one bit!
    I don't really give a shit. I still kill every cat I see in the woods as does my son and both grandson and as my granddaddy and daddy taught me. You keep it in the house or in your yard it's safe. If I ever see it in the woods it's gonna die just like hundreds of others have before it. If you let it run loose don't ever say you care about wildlife cause that's a lie.

I loved it when Australia poisoned all those cats over there. Yeah the government poisoned them because of the damage they were doing. I've found more than one nest of baby rabbits with all their heads gnawed, a sure sign of a nasty house cat. Not to mention the billions of songbirds and ground nesting birds like quail they kill every year. One good thing about coyotes is I see a lot fewer cats around. It would suit me if they both killed each other out.

Oh, and I don't judge my manhood or toughness by what I kill. If I killed shit barehanded it might be a different thing. But anyone, even a dainty cat owner can kill anything that walks or flies with a gun.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 05-23-2018 at 04:50 PM.

The Starling Dilemma:

A recent visitor to this website left the following question: “How can you discourage starlings from taking over a wood duck house? I have had wood ducks nest in the yard, but in the last few years, the starlings have literally jumped on the wood duck hen as she tried to enter the nest box. Is there some sort of trap I could use?” The questioner is not alone in his dilemma.

Starlings can sometimes effectively wipe out wood duck production in local areas. They are cavity nesters, and compete aggressively for the use of nest boxes. Since their introduction from Europe in 1890, starlings have spread all across the country to completely overlap the range of the wood duck. They are an alien species and are not protected by law.

In Ecology and Management of the Wood Duck (Stackpole Books1994), authors Bellrose and Holm concluded: “Of the many species of animals competing for nest boxes, starlings provide the greatest threat to wood ducks.”

Most starling interference with wood duck nesting occurs during the prospecting and egg-laying phases, when the hen is only present for a short period each day. Starlings may make small puncture holes in woodie eggs when the hen is away. They commonly will bury the duck eggs under several inches of the coarse plant materials they use in constructing their own nest.

When the wood duck hen returns, she is often attacked by the starlings, now defending their new turf. At times they will gang up. Art Hawkins, pioneer waterfowl manager, once reported seeing eight of these birds harassing a hen, several of which affixed themselves to her back, riding her to the ground while pecking at her head.

Searching for preventative solutions, Don Helmeke experimented with innovative box designs, but full-fledged success remained elusive. Another Wood Duck Society member, in desperation, tried to repel starlings by hanging rubber snakes near his boxes-- it didn’t work. To be successful, the wood duck manager must go into an attack-and-destroy mode, directly targeting the offending starlings.

Traps, specifically designed to fit inside a wood duck house, have been found to be effective. George Wellenkotter lives in a serious Wisconsin starling belt. He developed an in-box trap for his own use which utilizes a spring mechanism to close a trapdoor, effectively capturing the starling inside the box. George manufactures these and offers them for sale. One customer trapped 500 starlings over a period of five years! You may contact George at 309 Randolph Street; Edgerton, WI 53534.

To supplement his trapping efforts, Wellenkotter once tried hanging dead starlings—voodoo fashion—around the boxes. Sad to say, this seemed to have no effect on the remaining live birds.

Shotguns and rifles have been effective in some rural settings, but it’s not as easy as it may sound. On my own unit in West Central Minnesota, starlings have presented only spotty problems, nearly all related to boxes located near our farmstead buildings. I employ an effective but time consuming method of control, using .22 caliber birdshot ammunition. The gun is fired from a tent blind set up twenty feet or less from the box (you must be very close.) Enter the blind before dawn, pour a cup of coffee, and wait for the offending starlings to arrive. They may perch near the box at first, which makes it easy. If they enter the box, they will eventually reappear for guard-duty on the edge of the hole—a fatal habit in this scenario. The fine birdshot won’t really harm the box, in contrast to a blast from a shotgun.

The use of gunfire and traps must be coupled with mechanical removal of starling nests whenever encountered. After nest removal, the female may desert the box, particularly if she had begun incubating (or recently hatched) her clutch of greenish blue, speckled eggs.

Like wood ducks, starlings have an instinct to return to a previously successful nest site. Therefore, as in other aspects of box management, regular monitoring is necessary—this time to avoid a string of successful starling hatches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    If you let it run loose don't ever say you care about wildlife cause that's a lie.
    Boom.

Some of us just don't talk about cat control but doing our part as often as we can. If you care about your cat then you need to keep it on your property, not on my vehicles, spraying my porch and hanging around my place.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Cats are spawn of Satan
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

The finest cat killing I ever witnessed took place on a squirrel hunt years ago with the old man that gave me my first squirrel dog. An old man by the name of Bobby Maffet, Merige knew him I know. The dogs had treed and when we got to them there was a cat about 10' up the air in a little sweet gum sapling. The sweet gum was on the back of a pond dam and a little gravel road ran the back edge of the dam with a concrete pipe underneath it. Mr. Bobby told me "shake that tree and run that cat out of there" and when Mr. Bobby said do something you did it and did it quick. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
    I had that tree shaking back and forth like it was in a hurricane and that cat finally jumped out but headed straight for the concrete pipe under the gravel road. The pack of dogs we had that day were some good ones, Monk, Ruger, and CoCo.
    They were right on the cats tail as it hit that pipe. We just stood back and watched. The dogs stood there looking at each other as they got a game plan together. Monk and Ruger were too big to fit in the pipe but CoCo was the runt of the litter and could fit in without any problem at all. Monk and Ruger went to one in and waited as CoCo went in from the other side. That cat came out of the pipe fast as greased lightning but monk grabbed it by the neck/head and Ruger had it by the back end. When CoCo came out the pipe she grabbed the middle and they had a 3-way game of tug-of-war going.

I wouldn't intentionally kill someones pet house cat, but a feral cat is fair game.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I kill all cats in the woods or my property