Thread: Foster Home?

Default Foster Home?

So my Dad had to put his Lab down early this year. I asked him the other day when he wanted to get another dog and he said that next year. He just doesn't have time with work and being a grandpa for a puppy and training the way he would like. I asked him if he had ever thought about maybe fostering a dog for a rescue agency. He said that sounded like something he would be interested in. He has time for walks morning and night and basic obedience training. Is there such a thing? If anyone has any info on this please drop me a pm.

Thanks guys
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Yep. Check PM's.

I am not sure where you are located but I'm in Indiana and we foster for the local human society all the time. We have actually adopted two of the dogs that we have fostered. I would just go check with your local human society and see what it takes.

Where is he located? I can send you a list of some rescue contacts around the State depending on if he wants to foster specific breeds, etc.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Located in Lexington
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    Located in Lexington
    I hadn't forgotten you. I've been unable to locate my old bookmarks, but will run a new search for updated contacts and send out some emails and get back to you.
    ~ George Washington

I want to say I recall a former co-worker who was fostering a pup that would eventually be trained to become a bomb sniffing dog. Sorry I have zero info to share, but did recall such a thing does exist.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 06-11-2018 at 10:47 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

There are breed specific rescues all over. Some are easier to work with than others... I have a feeling if you contacted Lexington Animal Clinic they could point you in the right direction. I used to foster for low country lab rescue but am gone too much to do it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a couple of places in the Midlands area he may enjoy checking out...

https://www.petsinc.org/

At the Lexington County Shelter, I don't know if they utilize outside foster homes, but do probably appreciate volunteers who come to the center a few days a week (or more) to walk dogs and just spend time with them. I know they do that at the Anderson County PAWS shelter, so it might be worth a call if he's not ready to actually foster a dog in his house yet.

http://www.lex-co.sc.gov/departments...Adoptions.aspx

Here's an even more detailed listing from around the State if one of the first two don't work out for him. The little box in the corner indicates by virtue of the location of the red box(es) as to which part of the State if covers...

http://dog.rescueshelter.com/SouthCarolina

Here's a list of Animal Rescues around the State, but it includes cats, horses, etc, so would take some time to check through them.

https://www.sciway.net/org/midlands-...al-rescue.html

Sorry it took me so long to get these up. I had been working off an old list I was trying to verify and finally decided just to start over. Hope the links help him if he hasn't already got a foster.

Good luck to him.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 06-25-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    ~ George Washington