Thread: For Squatty - Homemade Snake Repellent

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default For Squatty - Homemade Snake Repellent

Homemade Snake Repellent
    Written by Dawn Colclasure in Gardening, Pest Control
    05-22-2009

While scary and dangerous, snakes are useful to the ecosystem. They get rid of insects, rodents, and spiders. However, in the event you’ve got snakes invading your well-kept garden or getting into your home, there are homemade repellents to keep them away.

Using a homemade mixture to repel snakes is a good idea if you live in an area heavily populated by snakes. It’s also the more economical choice. Commercial brand snake repellents are expensive, and they need to be reapplied often.

One way to repel snakes with a homemade mixture is to use cat litter and mothballs. There is serious debate about the use of mothballs, as they are carcinogenic and have been known to cause symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea if inhaled for too long. They are poisonous and may cause nasal cancer. However, if you handle the mothballs carefully by wearing a face mask and using gloves, you should be okay while mixing and administering this mixture.

Another cautionary note is to be wary of children and animals. Mothballs are lethal if ingested, so keep them away from children and pets. You can put mothballs into a leg of hosiery or inside of a closed coffee can that has holes in it and put it under your porch or in your basement.

Combine mothballs or moth crystals with the cat litter, using equal amounts of each. Mix it into a heavy bag or sealable container then let sit for two days. Spread a thick layer in your garden, under your porch and around the outside of your house.

Another homemade mixture to repel snakes is a combination of moth crystals and powdered sulfur. Again, wear your face mask and gloves. The sulfur has a nasty smell, and is part of the reason why snakes hate it. You can dust this mixture in cracks, near holes, and in your garden.

You can also use the sulfur by itself and sprinkle it where you don’t want snakes to be.

Another homemade snake repellent: Mix moth ball flakes, Cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper. Pour an inch thick of the mixture wherever you are trying to keep snakes away from. Here again, keep children and animals away from this toxic mixture.

Lime is another good snake repellent, as it can burn the stomach of an invading snake. Pour out a layer of the lime in your garden or around the foundation of your home. Again, use caution. Keep children and pets away from this area.

The most toxic-free and natural way to repel snakes? A cat. Some cat owners swear their feline friends as great snake attackers. It may be a scary thought, but cats know how to deftly kill a snake.

Whatever method you choose as a homemade snake repellent, be sure to exercise caution and use care.

A homemade snake repellent is an economical choice to keep dangerous snakes away. Use any of the above ideas to restore harmony in your home and garden.

Or.....

Snake Repellents

U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) says: Research has shown that cinnamon oil, clove oil, and eugenol are effective snake repellents. Snakes will retreat when sprayed directly with these oils and will exit cargo or other confined spaces when these oils are introduced to the area.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

grandaddy has been using moth balls since they were invented and im good to gooo

just sayin..

My grandad puts golf balls in his garden and chicken houses. Snake eats the golf balls thinking its an egg and day or so later he will smell him dead and find a dead snake with a big lump in it.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

That's great, now all he needs is running boards that double as pontoons...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I'm sorry that I resurrect the old topic, but it's just that I myself once encountered this issue, and spent a lot of time to find really useful information.
    I have a big problem with snakes around the house at the farm. The ground snakes (puffadders) are not too much of a problem apart from being poisonous. They are easily kept away using ammonia sprayed at the doors, or a sprinkling of granular swimming pool chlorine. The problem are the semi arboreal and arboreal snakes (rinkhals - a type of cobra, cape cobra and black mamba) The rinkhals are often found around houses and barns, and can be a very big problem, especially for pets. The mamba are very aggressive and territorial, and easily dispatch dogs, cats wild game and of course humans. They are attracted to the house because of bats, squirrels and wood hoopoes. The easies way of dealing with this group in all honesty is with a 12 Gauge. The shotgun plays havoc with the paint finishes, thatch roof and furniture, but any damage is preferable to having a resident mamba in your kitchen! I have noticed that all the snakes are repelled by chlorine (the best for durability are the chlorine tablets from swimming pools). I have heard that the 'harpic' chlorine toilet deodorisers work as well, but I have not tried them myself. These might be the best bet for you, as you can hang them on your benches. I have also heard that most aromatic sprays such as citronella mosquito repellent work as well, but I doubt they will have any form of lasting effect. A few years ago we got a few solar powered snake repellers https://thehomedweller.com/best-snake-repellents/ which were manufactured in Australia. They are meant to work by making a vibration every minute or so. They might work on Australian snakes, but seemed to have no effect on our African snakes.Good Luck.

May his soul rest in eternal peace

Quote Originally Posted by eraned View Post
    I'm sorry that I resurrect the old topic, but it's just that I myself once encountered this issue, and spent a lot of time to find really useful information.
    I have a big problem with snakes around the house at the farm. The ground snakes (puffadders) are not too much of a problem apart from being poisonous. They are easily kept away using ammonia sprayed at the doors, or a sprinkling of granular swimming pool chlorine. The problem are the semi arboreal and arboreal snakes (rinkhals - a type of cobra, cape cobra and black mamba) The rinkhals are often found around houses and barns, and can be a very big problem, especially for pets. The mamba are very aggressive and territorial, and easily dispatch dogs, cats wild game and of course humans. They are attracted to the house because of bats, squirrels and wood hoopoes. The easies way of dealing with this group in all honesty is with a 12 Gauge. The shotgun plays havoc with the paint finishes, thatch roof and furniture, but any damage is preferable to having a resident mamba in your kitchen! I have noticed that all the snakes are repelled by chlorine (the best for durability are the chlorine tablets from swimming pools). I have heard that the 'harpic' chlorine toilet deodorisers work as well, but I have not tried them myself. These might be the best bet for you, as you can hang them on your benches. I have also heard that most aromatic sprays such as citronella mosquito repellent work as well, but I doubt they will have any form of lasting effect. A few years ago we got a few solar powered snake repellers https://thehomedweller.com/best-snake-repellents/ which were manufactured in Australia. They are meant to work by making a vibration every minute or so. They might work on Australian snakes, but seemed to have no effect on our African snakes.Good Luck.
    How bout some god damn Yankee repelant to keep you dipshits from posting dumb shit on a 9 year old thread?
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

i am pretty sure english is not his native tongue.

glws
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Must be Iowanese
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Rickey Chen is back.

Just paint your porch roof blue
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Ricky Chen you form a hunting club in NC by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    How bout some god damn Yankee repelant to keep you dipshits from posting dumb shit on a 9 year old thread?
    There must be some deal paying people to sign up and post random product links. As good as direct advertising has gotten on the web, why anyone is paying these dipshits is beyond me...