Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Poult mortality....

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    I'll stick with fire it kills all them damn immature pines. Fuck em all. Gbelly won't be able to retire anyhow because he hasn't worked a damn day yet. Yep
    #donthatetheforesterslifestyle
    #lifestylesoftheforestryworld
    #iftreesaretheanswerwhatsthequestion
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    Shit, you and Scott are damn near retired as it is...
    oh no, you didnt
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Get them bitches a snorkel and some fins they will be alright
    Last edited by GobblerHntr; 05-18-2018 at 06:37 AM.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

David, I'm very thick skinned and there is nothing said in here that doesn't roll off my back!
    Although you and I have never met personally, we have spoken in the past about the Francis Marion issues. Since we have never met, I have no opinion of yourself and therefore have nothing against you as an individual. If our paths cross, we can have a drink and speak to one another as adults having a meaningful conversation.

Like I said previously in this thread....FIRE (all caps) is the most cost effective forestry and wildlife management tool we have and YES (all caps), our right and need to utilize this tool is paramount!(exclamation point) I am glad you recognize this fact.

This is not the first time I have spoken out against foolish USFS practices....I have done so multiple times before on the site, so no news flash here.
    To some degree, YES my statement was meant to negate the OPINION of a few on this site regarding the RELEVANCE or lack thereof fire killing poults. Because, once again it is nothing more than opinion and emotion from the uneducated who refuse to listen and learn from those with real world forestry and wildlife management experience.

As I have pointed out many times, private landowners that burn hundreds to thousands of acres per year continue to support robust and healthy quail, deer, rabbit, fox squirrel, turkey, and other game/non-game populations even among a growing season fire regime. Despite this rebuttal, the message coming from CWS (many or MOST of which have no skin in the game of natural resource management) is that fire is bad and is one of the root causes of a turkey population decline. This could not be further from the truth and at this point, trying to get this message across seems somewhat futile!

In the grand scheme of things when you remove the USFS burns from the picture....it is completely irrelevant to poult production AND WE WOULD NOT BE HAVING THIS DISCUSSION......PERIOD!
    Once again….. when you remove the USFS burns from the picture....it is completely irrelevant to poult production AND WE WOULD NOT BE HAVING THIS DISCUSSION......PERIOD!

IMO, you are failing to paint a clear picture to your followers the difference in what private landowners are doing versus the USFS at Francis Marion NF. This is a huge sticking point for myself and other land managers alike.

To many, it appears that you are just riling up a base who will jump on the bandwagon and say SCDNR sucks, USFS sucks lets stick it to em! OK, I get that but the messages heard are often silly responses like “DNR needs to start farming rice in all CAT1 WMA’s or “stop all controlled burns on WMA lands after February” and this is silly talk coming from individuals that know absolutely nothing about land management! Hell, you can’t even have meaningful discussion on the site without making things personal!

There are others in the business who no longer post on social media because of this and I find myself contributing less and less each day as well. Unfortunately, it seems to be part of the pussification of America…In lieu of constructive dialogue, these people bitch or flail around spewing emotion all over facts and meaningful dialogue (much like the left leaning democrat base). IMO, CWS has aided in fostering a false narrative surrounding the scattered, declining turkey population.

In reality, most of the State has only maintained a turkey population for approximately 30 years and deer not much longer….that’s a pretty short term for SCDNR or any other state wildlife agency to learn all they need to know about a game population don’t you think? Our turkey and deer populations have peaked and are now leveling off as you know and it may STILL take some time to find the equilibrium where harvest and recruitment gel and now is not the time to throw DNR under the bus! Yet, that is the narrative coming from the uneducated….it’s DNR’s fault fuk DNR!

To stay on topic, the result does nothing to support the importance and use of fire in our local landscape but has the potential to be detrimental to its long-term usage as our greatest management tool.
    Speaking of coyote love, if my fading memory serves me well you were the one championing the life of a yote in a fox pen because as you stated...."it (live yote sale and transportation) was legal and whatnot"
    You stated that your mission statement would not trample upon the rights of hunters so as long as the practice in question was legal, correct?

This raises the question/dilemma about CWD….
    If deer breeding and transport were legal in SC, where would CWS stand on the issue?
    Based on your “if it’s legal comment” I assume you once again would not stand against the practice despite the severity of CWD?

Best of luck to you and CWS….I think you have the potential to bridge a gap and make a difference!
    Last edited by Calibogue; 05-17-2018 at 07:45 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

They know what to do with yotes in Montana...

F96B48A1-3855-4BB5-B79F-85555559D39C.jpg

Well put Scott
    80-20 Genaration

Damnit, I hope you didn't post that thesis on your phone!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

I think ole Dave has left the room. Well said
    Plant it they will come.

Glad it rolls off , same here. I was told by someone that if we met we would get along well, I would probably agree but only after I poked ya for squealing like a little girl for not getting your way lol.

If one can read,our mission and our goals are at the top of the page. I can't help what someone wants to extrapolate in their mind or what your brain wants to create.

What I can say is that the USFS was held to 9800 acres of growing season this year, that SCDNR will be re emphasizing continual and efficient turkey and deer health indices and research, that SCDNR CAT 1s are looking better than they have in 7 years and that food plots and dove fields on public land should look better on public WMAs as well. Oh yea and that the Eastern Mountain alliance knows they have a strong adversary ( no crap).

I am not taking credit but CWS absolutely had a hand in every piece of it. CWS condones good fire. Not Sorry if we "seem" to come off hard on fire, it is after all only the most valuable and most damaging original tool of man. Fire damage can still be found that is over 100 or more years old and is irreversible for years to come.. Its not just something to play around and its not something to wear on your chest as a badge.. That's the recognition fire deserves. Im about full of grins when some pasty face ,beer bellied, skinny armed, half bearded, lumberjack wanna be starts spouting off all fire is good and I know fire since my professor told me so or Long Leaf is the most biodiverse because I see some grass and a wood pecker besides my proffessor told me so etc etc.

If a good land manager can't accomplish all of his goals ( if they include game) without using fire late March- mid to ending May, that landowner needs a new manager. I can see the cause for a first entry once during those dates but moving forward in interval not again. It was only about 15 years ago or so that true nesting season burning was even an issue till then it was taboo because is galldanged commons sense that doesn't take a forestry degree, a wildlife degree or any other degree to freakin understand. Education led by the USFS, USFW and others, soon upon finding out the dinero in fire , started pushing the Bullshit argument that its ok to fire kill a few now, habitat in the future is more important.

There is not one single rubbed up paper that shows land X( never fire treated) with population of Y ( quail and turkey) where the addition of even the addition of the best applied and timed fire has ever increased Y. That bothers me greatly, since several papers have tried to do so but then only end up with results showing: "shoulds" or "hens preffered" etc. Meanwhile other variables added or removed show increases and decreases clearly. Its Kool aide I won't drink.

I don't see the path your attempting to light as to how you and I as a private land managers should be worried about what CWS is doing to go after the USFS absolutely terrible damaging fire regime example on public lands owned by the public, paid for by the public coming back to effect us as private land managers on private lands paid for by private money with good fire regimes. How in the world do you construe that? What I construe is just the opposite the protection of fire, being that at some point the vault of all fire will fall due to the USFS activity hurting us all. Asthmatic League of America or Little Johnnies coughing council only have more leverage with bad fire examples ... If we can get those stopped then better fire examples will prevail. Its called policing our own and is what historically works. Do you not see that?

Did you seriously just relate coyotes / foxpens to prions and CWD? And did you ask me to pull out my what ifs and buts Crystal ball ? Well hold on, let me check, yep it says Surely CWD will arrive in SC but it won't come from high fence ops already here in SC, hint.

Sure glad your writing skills are better than your meteorology.. Buddy called me and said he saw a group of poults guzzling it right down. I know I needed this 3/4 of an inch of warm rain and could use another 3/4.. I reckon the poults will handle it just fine.

As to pussification, if your so worried about fire, quit being a pansy step up and protect good fire, start a group, don't be all worried or scared about loosing it do something about it, worrying doesn't do much good for a man.

Im down for a rum and coke at the marina any day or a warm beer on the skidder, no diff to me. Sorry about all the crappy misspellings and syntax jaxx.
    Last edited by Strick9; 05-17-2018 at 09:51 AM.
    Genesis 9;2

Bravo.

We can argue CWD, high fences, yotes, or all kinds of other bs. And puff our chest because we don't agree with the entire platform. But at the end of the day David is putting his money where his mouth is and is probably doing more than anyone else on this site for something he believes in. I'm sure it's tiring at times. And it has to be a real kick in the balls when other hunters want to continually argue with him about one particular minute issue.

Keep up the good work David.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    We can argue CWD, high fences, yotes, or all kinds of other bs. And puff our chest because we don't agree with the entire platform. But at the end of the day David is putting his money where his mouth is and is probably doing more than anyone else on this site for something he believes in. I'm sure it's tiring at times. And it has to be a real kick in the balls when other hunters want to continually argue with him about one particular minute issue.

Keep up the good work David.

I'm starting to think that Cali is purposely trying to muddy the water..
    No one here is arguing that is fire bad, or that fire is responsible for the declining turkey numbers. The declining turkey population issue is well outside the bounds of the FNF, or even SC for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    I'm starting to think that Cali is purposely trying to muddy the water..
    No one here is arguing that is fire bad, or that fire is responsible for the declining turkey numbers. The declining turkey population issue is well outside the bounds of the FNF, or even SC for that matter.
    Cali was trolling CWS from the get go. Maybe he enjoys the retaliation he got, who knows. One thing is for certain he seems to be too "invested" to say a bad word about improper fire or a longleaf.

As I have said, I think David and CWS have the potential to bridge a gap and make a difference!
    I applaud him for his efforts no doubt about it...
    How that is best accomplished obviously is a matter opinion that will not be agreed upon on SCDucks.
    You boys keep on keepin on with what ever it is you do and I'll keep on investing, inheriting, or whatever else it is BRR can conjure up.
    So BRR, someone asked you yesterday if you were farming with your FIL....is this correct?
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    As I have said, I think David and CWS have the potential to bridge a gap and make a difference!
    I applaud him for his efforts no doubt about it...
    How that is best accomplished obviously is a matter opinion that will not be agreed upon on SCDucks.
    You boys keep on keepin on with what ever it is you do and I'll keep on investing, inheriting, or whatever else it is BRR can conjure up.
    So BRR, someone asked you yesterday if you were farming with your FIL....is this correct?
    Cali you know what you have. Many folks on this site are more fortunate than others. Even people that are more fortunate can be hard workers, and not saying you dont work hard. There is just no place for acting like a pompous ass. And No, I am not farming with my FIL.

some guy on here told another guy on here to buy a $400 gun case.

Nothing surprises me any more about you people.

I know cali is a good person.
    I bet David is too.

Too bad they both can be misunderstood.

I'm a dick. There is no question about that.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Pompous ass....That term can be loosely used to describe many internet personalities on this site, yours included!

I don’t need a written paper paper to know that more fire equals more quail. You can see it all over the state on many public and private lands.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    some guy on here told another guy on here to buy a $400 gun case.

Nothing surprises me any more about you people.

I know cali is a good person.
    I bet David is too.

Too bad they both can be misunderstood.

I'm a dick. There is no question about that.
    Wait, I thought you were an asshole?
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson