Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porter Gaud Documentary

Default Porter Gaud Documentary

'What Haunts Us' doc exposes horrifying story of high school coach who sexually abused male students
    By Stephanie Nolasco | Fox News

It was six years ago that Paige Goldberg Tolmach chose to revisit her dark past.

The filmmaker is an alumna of Charleston’s Porter-Gaud, a onetime all-boys military academy that morphed into a co-ed high school where beloved teacher and coach Eddie Fischer was a sexual predator who preyed upon young boys.

Tolmach said she wanted to chronicle the real-life tragedy in her latest film, titled “What Haunts Us,” in hopes it will raise awareness on student molestation occurring in schools.

“I think it’s a story that kind of sat in us for so long,” Tolmach told Fox News. “Really haunted us for so long. And needed to be told. But I don’t know when really any of us were going to start talking about it. And then I became a mother.

"And the world became a different place. And I started seeing things really differently. And I think that’s what really compelled me because I love my little boy. And I just needed to understand what happened at my school because I need to protect my son now.”

Charleston-based newspaper The Post and Courier reported Fischer taught at Porter-Gaud from 1972 to 1982, and subsequently at College Preparatory School and James Island High School. He was discovered to have abused about 20 boys at Porter-Gaud, and as many as a reported 50 total.

Fischer was arrested in 1997 as a result of persistent efforts made by one of his victims, Guerry Glover, who claimed to be abused by his teacher from age 9 to 19.

In 1999, Fischer was sentenced to 20 years in prison. He died in 2002 while serving time.

Former Porter-Gaud principal James Bishop Alexander had killed himself in 1998 — just days after he was reportedly scheduled to discuss sexual abuse allegations against Fischer, who was his friend.

Tolmach said there have been six suicides of men from the 1979 graduating class, in particular, since the scandal became public.

“There were two while I was making this film,” she claimed on the suicides. “And I think there were about 12 altogether [from the school]… It’s a hard thing for people to talk about… But look at what something like this did. Look at what it did to all of these boys and their families… The wife of one of the men who died came to a screening I had in Charleston.

"She hugged me and thanked me and said, ‘I understand now. I understand more of what he was going through.’ … Even now, it makes me want to cry because she and her children deserved to know the whole story. And it’s part of why I made the movie. We all deserved to know what happened. And why it happened.”

Tolmach, who started as a fourth-grader in 1977 and graduated in 1985, said that her impression of Fischer was far from horrifying.

“I really liked Eddie Fischer,” she said. “He was charming and charismatic. He was very, very kind to me… And he didn’t pay attention to that many girls.

"He was a charming guy. If you were in the Eddie Fischer group, you were cool. If you were one of the boys that hung out with Eddie Fischer, you were one of the cool boys… You were special. That’s how he made you feel. I think that’s part of the grooming and part of the scam.”

Tolmach revealed there were rumors in the school of young boys who went to Fischer’s home, hoping to be his new friend and part of his coveted circle. While some victims came forward to share their terrifying experiences in “What Haunts Us,” Tolmach insisted they were initially hesitant.

“It was extraordinarily difficult,” she explained. “That’s why it took so long to make this movie. I spent the first two and a half, three years just really forming close bonds… I needed them to know they could trust me.

"I felt so honored that they were actually able to share their stories with me. So I worked very carefully to gain their trust. But so many more people would not tell their story. And as we know from the film, there were so many more people who didn’t even survive this tale. So they couldn’t tell their stories. And that was heartbreaking.”

Tolmach said the world may never know exactly how many boys were sexually abused by Fischer. She claimed several families have called her since the film premiered in several festivals to share their harrowing experiences.

She said it continues to surprise her at just how many victims have continued to come forward.

What Haunts Us 4
    Eddie Fischer admitted he sexually abused numerous young boys. (Copyright The Stranger You Know LLC 2018)

“Many people came out and were so grateful and happy that I was telling the story,” said Tolmach. “And a lot of people were not. They were still really, really angry at me for shining a light on a story that we had worked so hard as a community to sort of sweep under the rug. And how dare I bring this up again? And I was kind of shocked, but I guess I should have known that going in.”

Since “What Haunts Us” premiered, Tolmach said none of Fischer’s family has reached out to her. But she’s more interested in how the story can further raise awareness on similar cases occurring across the country, as well as encourage victims of sexual abuse to speak up.

“We do need to talk about this,” she said. “We do need to arm our children. Empower our children without fear… We need to talk about it all the time. We need to have a dialogue about this. And we don’t. And that’s why it keeps happening.”

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...-students.html

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Dang! There are some sick, perverted people in this world that need a bullet behind the ear.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Why give the the dignity of not seeing the bullet coming. Give it to them right between the eyes and let them know it's there and coming for them.

I hope that hell is real and folks like him are in agony for eternity.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I lived through this and thank the Lord they got rid of him in 1982 when I was 12. He was already grooming me. Sick son of a bitch! And what is even worse is those who chose to cover it up.
    PG finally stripped the Grimball name from campus in late April, knowing that this was going to go national.
    I always wondered why Bishop Alexander, the Upper School Principal, made an unprecedented move and went before the Honor Council in my defense my senior year.
    Watch those "role models" who take an interest in your children VERY CLOSELY.
    DILLIGAF

We had one too but only know of one bay that was molested.
    Myself and 3 other classmates went one weekend to stay with him on his sailboat at the Downtown Beaufort Marina around 82-83'ish.
    We all noticed some weird shit and discussed it among ourselves at the time.
    It came out a couple of years later......His last name was STORM.
    Sick fukkers!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Yep, we did as well. Coached every boys team sport. When he was having a huge sleep over, I was pissed at my parents for telling me I couldn't go. The horror stories afterward forever made me appreciate the wisdom of listening to my parents. He then went on to become the fucking Director of the Carolina Children's Home where he was arrested and sentenced to 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    I lived through this and thank the Lord they got rid of him in 1982 when I was 12. He was already grooming me. Sick son of a bitch! And what is even worse is those who chose to cover it up.
    PG finally stripped the Grimball name from campus in late April, knowing that this was going to go national.
    I always wondered why Bishop Alexander, the Upper School Principal, made an unprecedented move and went before the Honor Council in my defense my senior year.
    Watch those "role models" who take an interest in your children VERY CLOSELY.
    I can't imagine trying to rationalize or even living with the fact that they helped to cover up something like that. Not to mention they are trusted by the parents to look out for the kids.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 05-15-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Before I fly off the handle, are YOU referring to ME uga-dawg?
    DILLIGAF

Before I fly off the handle, are YOU referring to ME uga-dawg?
    I just noticed that myself and changed it to avoid confusion.

Certainly not you. Was just trying to speak for them and how they lived with it.

That is not at all how I read his post...

Thanks. I am glad I thought to ask the question.
    It is incredible how these perverts are allowed to continue doing this when the signs are hitting everyone in the forehead. Why is it when the warning signs are there no one wants to go "there"?
    I did not fully realize how close to home this all was until a good friend committed suicide in 2006.
    And then I learned more information about three years ago that really put a dagger through me.
    DILLIGAF

f--- that. ugadawg is an ass. he's trying to talk shit to HOgg. I know this for fact.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

^and i'm just kidding.

HOGG.....as I read this...and know exactly who JAB is talking about....its scary to think that there are, indeed, BAD people out there. I find myself understanding "weird" or "different" people and i honestly try to accept them all....but deep down...there are certain people that go beyond what we have decided is aberrant behavior. I also cant help but think that EVERYONE has some sort of "past" or "history" that they have to deal with. Some are worse than others and some people are better prepared to handle it. In most cases, as time goes by, the events of the past well up and they cant keep them down. In that vein, it certainly makes sense to attack these issues early on....before they tear people up from the inside out.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Thanks. I am glad I thought to ask the question.
    It is incredible how these perverts are allowed to continue doing this when the signs are hitting everyone in the forehead. Why is it when the warning signs are there no one wants to go "there"?
    I did not fully realize how close to home this all was until a good friend committed suicide in 2006.
    And then I learned more information about three years ago that really put a dagger through me.
    This is nothing new and ain't going away no time soon. The filmmaker hit the nail on the head when she said the part about associating it "with the family name". Too many people are more concerned with others finding out than they are with getting the person "in the family" the help they need.

You don't have to look far to see instances of it.......

Good point Tater. I can imagine Berkeley Grimball rationalizing this since he basically created Porter Gaud by buying the Gaud School in the 1960's with his money.
    I would like to go to Magnolia Cemetery at lunch to piss on his grave, but I don't have the time.
    DILLIGAF

I have reached a pinnacle in my life where I am not and will not be silent!
    The more left our country leans, the less tolerance I have for bad behavior!
    Be it just being a dick, dishonesty, deceitfulness, whatever....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    I have reached a pinnacle in my life where I am not and will not be silent!
    The more left our country leans, the less tolerance I have for bad behavior!
    Be it just being a dick, dishonesty, deceitfulness, whatever....
    My Man.

The wife thought I was gonna fight on the sandbar yesterday!
    Jackass pulls up next to his buddies and throws the anchor....he's 10ft off my stern.
    I have a bow anchor out letting the stern swing up to the sand freely....
    I said....you're not gonna like it when the tide swings shortly....he says he'll watch it.
    It swings and he gets all concerned as my 4 blade stainless prop is about to fuk up his pretty pathfinder!
    He asks if I wanna borrow a stern anchor as I'm chilling drinking some bullets with the wife and the kids swim.
    I say....NOPE!
    Jackass says.....you don't give a shit do you.....NOPE!

My tolerance for dumbassery and the likes is totally gone!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    ^and i'm just kidding.

HOGG.....as I read this...and know exactly who JAB is talking about....its scary to think that there are, indeed, BAD people out there. I find myself understanding "weird" or "different" people and i honestly try to accept them all....but deep down...there are certain people that go beyond what we have decided is aberrant behavior. I also cant help but think that EVERYONE has some sort of "past" or "history" that they have to deal with. Some are worse than others and some people are better prepared to handle it. In most cases, as time goes by, the events of the past well up and they cant keep them down. In that vein, it certainly makes sense to attack these issues early on....before they tear people up from the inside out.
    I'm offended. Yeah right. I'm married. I've been called worse for less.

Nice use of the word aberrant. It's a little alarming how much this has shifted in the last 20 years.