Thread: Its over...2018 recap

Default Its over...2018 recap

The 2018 spring turkey season for me and Gavin ended this past weekend with all of us in Kansas visiting some of he best folks I know. Started with SC youth weekend with Gavin putting in several hours only to have 3 Longbeards run up and a swing and a miss. Gavin stayed focused on the task at hand and finally due to some great friend Gavin joined the Tenth Legion on April 22 2018. The season in SC for me had very few gobbles and not many days spent in the woods. I was able to hunt with best buddies and find a public land Longbeard to play and then next to last weekend found a double that wouldn't stop gobbling until the guns went off. Mid April I was blessed to travel West to Texas and hunt there with a fellar we meet while in Jamaica 8 years ago on our honey moon. We seemed to pick up right where we left off and chased turkeys for a few days with another buddy of his. Those couple of days I made two dang fine friends and knocked down a trio of Rios and missed one also called in a yote. From there I went North to Oklahoma to start with a wind chill of 17degrees. It was stupid cold and I wasn't prepared for that. Still we found some turkeys and the next morning found me and two buddies close to the roost tree only for a yote to screw up the hunt but a load of Tungsten fixed that quickly. Them back to SC hunted last day with Daddy on some public land heard a few but nothing willing to play. He followed me for 6 miles that day. Was time to head back out west this time to Kansas and Gavin was up to bat. First morning had us near the roost tree that we could hear the Longbeard spitting n drumming in the tree. They all flew down within 50 yards of us but didn't like something with our set up. They would walk the other way out of site and out of mine. Hearing some other gobbles I asked Gavin if he wanted to walk and call and leave the blind. He was ready to go so off we went. We found two lonely Longbeards in a field, let them leave the field then we set up quickly and I started calling. Wasn't long and we had the 2 back in the field full strut and gobbling and coming our way. Gavin was on the gun and ready to go but one of the gobblers slipped in to our right so I spun and made the shot. With Gavin shooting off the tripod it's hard for him to move. After that we covered several miles and he was tried. Next morning we had 6 gobbling within working distance but they all went North of us. That evening I told Gavin we would move the blind and should be in the game, in which his response was daddy I'm tried of walking and just want to stay at the farm and ride tractors and feed animals and play with his new found buddies which were the Farmers grandkids. So that evening I went in there solo and about an hour before dark several Hens, jakes, and 4 strutters came across the hill. I would have given anything for Gavin to have been there at that moment. Shortly after I punched my last Kansas tag. It was a fun season and had two Goals in mind this year 1- get Gavin Bird, 2- hunt a state i haven't hunted. Was a fun spring ready for next March so we can do it all again��

"The first turkey that ever came to me on the ground did it a long time ago. I sat there with my hands shaking and my breath short and my heart hammering so hard I could not understand why he could not hear it. The last turkey that came to me last spring had exactly the same effect, and the day that this does not happen to me is the day that I quit." - Tom Kelly

#ToHimBeTheGlory
    #TNR
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great stuff with your father and your son. I can't wait to get mine in the woods more. Well done
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Awesome!

Give that young man a TFC hat!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Congrats on the firsts and a great season. You can find those old pepsi bottles a dime a dozen on the Tyger and Enoree river bottoms along with a gazillion old basket balls.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Very nice!
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

Just plain awesome!

Heck of a season right there!
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Congrats to you and your son!

Heck yea that is sweet.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I would rather watch the kids chop than myself.....most of the time!
    Well done....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Nice! Congrats on a great year!

Man it was great following you guys on facebook. Congrats on a great season.

Congrats Jason! What a fantastic season!