Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The end of deer season

Default The end of deer season

When chronic wasting disease was discovered in a wild Norwegian reindeer two years ago, officials took quick action. They culled the entire reindeer herd in Nordfjella — 2027 animals in all. Eighteen of those reindeer were found to be infected.

+1
    Richard Kyte mug
    Richard Kyte

The Norwegian government had a clear goal in mind: to save the deer herd and prevent CWD from becoming established in their country. Vidar Helgesen, minister of climate and environment, stated, “We must do everything we can to prevent the disease from spreading to other areas of wildlife or other deer species.”

This is a vastly different response to CWD than we have seen in Wisconsin.

CWD was first detected in Wisconsin in 2001 when three deer tested positive in Iowa and Dane counties. The next year, the Department of Natural Resources expanded its testing program and found 205 positives out of 40,351 wild deer. Despite the DNR scaling back its testing program in 2007, occurrence of the disease has been increasing steadily. Last year, 595 positive samples were found out of 9,779 deer tested.

To date, CWD has been detected in 53 counties throughout the state. It is likely, however, that the disease is more widespread because of insufficient testing. Last fall in La Crosse County, for example, the DNR tested only 82 deer.

Reading “Wisconsin’s Chronic Wasting Disease Response Plan: 2010–2025,” one comes away with the impression of a vast gap between the potential harmful consequences of CWD and the recommended strategies for averting those consequences.

The report begins with a bang: “All available evidence indicates that CWD has the potential for significant, negative impacts on the future of deer hunting in Wisconsin.”

An infectious agent known as a prion causes CWD. It is a misfolded protein particle that operates differently than viruses or bacteria. Prions do not trigger an immune response. Chemicals, radiation and extreme heat will not kill them. They appear to be highly contagious and can accumulate in the environment where they persist indefinitely. There is no known treatment. Infection is always fatal.

CWD is presently limited to cervids (deer, elk, moose, caribou), yet there is some evidence that the disease could jump the species barrier, similarly to what happened with “mad cow disease” in Britain in the 1990s. That is why the World Health Organization recommends “no part of an animal known to have CWD be consumed by humans.”

The DNR report concludes the section on Principles of CWD and Disease Management with these words: “There is no evidence that CWD will ‘disappear’ or ‘run its course’ on its own in the absence of management.”

Such words imply the necessity of drastic measures. Yet the strategies in the report are anything but drastic. They consist mainly of continued monitoring and research in the hopes that some solution will come along in the future.

To get an idea of how cynical the report is, consider this recommended strategy: “Continue to cooperate with the Department of Health Services to maintain the registry of persons known to have consumed venison from CWD positive deer.”

The facts are that in 2017 only 3 percent of hunters statewide and 8 percent of hunters in the Southern Farmland Zone where CWD is concentrated tested their deer for contamination. So neither the DNR nor the DHS have any idea how many people in the state have consumed infected venison, and until testing is greatly expanded, they cannot have a meaningful registry.

Moreover, a negative test does not guarantee that venison is CWD-free nor can we be confident that the disease has not already infected some humans.

A recent study on the threat of CWD to humans in the current issue of “Transboundary and Emerging Diseases” states: “Future discovery of CWD transmission to humans cannot be entirely ruled out on the basis of current studies, particularly in the light of possible decades‐long incubation periods for CWD prions in humans.”

Here are the facts.

Without significant reduction of the deer herd, CWD will continue to progress throughout the state, eventually affecting every county in Wisconsin.
    People should not consume venison from infected deer, and there will soon be no area of the state free from possible infection.
    Testing every deer harvested during the hunting season is impractical, due to the high cost of the tests and the inconvenience to the hunter.
    Unless we stop the expansion of CWD by drastically reducing the deer herd, hunters will soon have to choose between eating possibly infected venison or giving up hunting.

All this leaves me wondering how long deer hunting will continue to be part of Wisconsin culture.

Norway developed their response to containing CWD in part by observing the disaster slowly unfolding in Wisconsin.

The question we face now is this: Are we too late to avert disaster?

http://lacrossetribune.com/opinion/c...efeaa8b.html#1

Coyotes and buzzards can travel hundreds of miles. Is it possible for them to ingest infected deer and carcasses and deposit their droppings in other counties, states, etc and assist with the spread of CWD? Just a thought.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Not sure what the answer is but we are way past killing off the infected herd.

Don’t worry the government will stop it.

This was the basis for my argument against our dumbass Deer tags and reduced doe days. Everyone wants to see 30 and 40 Deer per hunt but forget the fact that those kinds of numbers spread disease like this. Once we get that shit in sc that will be the end of deer hunting for me.

I suspect that cattle are vulnerable to the "jump the species barrier". Now you're talking money. Money can pay for lobbyists.

As long as it only threatens hunters and their families, not much emphasis will be focused on it. If it threatens the meat and dairy industry, we'll see some action.

Steve Rinella had a Biologist on his podcast "Meateater" that discussed all of this in great length. They don't know much about CWD as far as how to treat it, how long it stays viable outside of the host, etc.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I hate to say it but if we want to take this seriously, we need to stop all baiting, mineral licks, etc. There is a guy named Doug Duren in wisconsin who changed his long time trophy rules for shooting a deer to Shoot what you can this year. There is so much uncertainty about this disease that i think being overly cautious would be the most prudent approach. We need to think twice before using products made from captive deer herds and possibly outlaw those too

Human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together

Norway wasn’t bull shittin around.

They used to think that the damn disease could live in the soil for years after infected animals were liquidated. I haven't kept up with the latest science, but it is scary and absolutely unavoidable at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    This was the basis for my argument against our dumbass Deer tags and reduced doe days. Everyone wants to see 30 and 40 Deer per hunt but forget the fact that those kinds of numbers spread disease like this. Once we get that shit in sc that will be the end of deer hunting for me.
    The only thing you lost was unlimited bucks. Doe days stayed the same. The bill was a watered down piece of crap. But at least try to get it right when you bitch about it.

I'll give you on more hint. The goal of the bill wasn't to increase the deer herd. It was reduce the number of bucks killed and force people to kill more does.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    The goal of the bill wasn't to increase the deer herd. It was reduce the number of bucks killed and force people to kill more does.
    Say it aint so..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

The only thing you lost was unlimited bucks. Doe days stayed the same. The bill was a watered down piece of crap. But at least try to get it right when you bitch about it.

I'll give you on more hint. The goal of the bill wasn't to increase the deer herd. It was reduce the number of bucks killed and force people to kill more does.
    But with CWD the most effective way of decreasing the exposed individuals is to take out young bucks that roam outside of their home range. SO really, killing a bunch of young bucks is the right thing to do

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    But with CWD the most effective way of decreasing the exposed individuals is to take out young bucks that roam outside of their home range. SO really, killing a bunch of young bucks is the right thing to do
    So use your buck tags to kill 5 young bucks so you can slow down the CWD epidemic in SC.

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    I'm just doing my part in conservation....
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Currently the only means of threat CWD poses to our local deer herd are from Hunters bringing infected Parts back to South Carolina. So, let's stop the pie in the sky BS and focus on containing or eradication in the affected areas such as Wisconsin.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

If the goal was to get people to kill more does then why did we do away with 2 does per day? When hunting meat Deer, me and plenty other hunters would rather have 2 to cut up at one time. A lot of people used to dub them up so that debunks the argument on killing more does. Instead of wasting money on a scroll of one day use tags, the better thing would be to issue doe tags valid all season long. Oh wait....DNR wouldn't be able to right tickets then. All about the revenue.

And there within lies your number one problem with CWD... Captive deer breeding programs!

Now, say WHAT IF captive deer breeding was legal in the state of South Carolina.....the CWS would NOT oppose it because of course it is hypothetically LEGAL.
    My understanding, following our coyote/fox pen discussion a few months ago is they will NOT stand against legal practices that infringe on hunter rights whatsoever........correct?
    Now, that's a conundrum!
    Last edited by Calibogue; 05-16-2018 at 05:40 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE