Thread: Hunting with a red dot

Default Hunting with a red dot

Thanks to an Amazon seller screw up on shipping, I will soon have two. I paid for both.

I can return one or possibly use it myself. It is a Vortex Venom, 3 moa red dot.

Has anybody hunted with red dots other than handguns? I have one on a 44 SRH.

Would you put one on a rifle such as a Ruger 44 carbine? Or maybe a Mini 14? I don't know what to expect of one at 100 yards,
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

I have used Burris FF3’s for the last few years and just put a Venom on one of my 870 guns I turkey hunt with this season, I like it, a lot. Slightly larger FOV but very similar to the FF3.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

A Burris FF# is what's on my 44.

I can see that on a shotgun. But I am more thinking about a rifle. And a max range of around 100 yards, give or take a few.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Should work just fine. I have one on my Marlin 1894 44Rem Mag. For all practical uses for that rifle, it has worked well. Not a " traditional" look or choice, but it is plenty accurate at any range I have tried to use it at. Simple to hit a 1" orange sticker at 75 yards. I have killed deer with it. FastFires work great as a backup sight on an AR also.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

My brother has had one on his Ruger Redhawk since the early 90’s. He loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    Thanks to an Amazon seller screw up on shipping, I will soon have two. I paid for both.

I can return one or possibly use it myself. It is a Vortex Venom, 3 moa red dot.

Has anybody hunted with red dots other than handguns? I have one on a 44 SRH.

Would you put one on a rifle such as a Ruger 44 carbine? Or maybe a Mini 14? I don't know what to expect of one at 100 yards,
    Let me know if you want to get rid of it
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Have an eotech on my AR and it is good to 100yds as a truck/pig gun at the farm. Considering adding a magnifier, at 100yds my dot almost completely covers a 10" plate which makes it tough to be super accurate I reckon. Hoping the 3x magnifier would make it easier on my eyes. Bottom line is, it works. There are limitations and you just have to play with them some to get comfortable in different settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found that the trick to shooting more accurately with a red dot is to turn it DOWN until you have no "glare". Some people run their dots too bright when trying to zero.

I am still looking to put a Leupold DPP on a Remington 760 in either 308 or 35 Remington. Once I find the rifle. I was bidding on one last night on Gun Broker and it got too high for my blood.

A simple red dot on a Ruger 44 semiauto would be a fun rig .... if your gun functions reliably. I've seen those things choke more than a lot of other guns.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I’ve hunted with one and shot one in competition. The limitation was how well I could see the target. Play with your zero and figure your maximum point blank range. On an AR I would zero mine at 250 yds (actually zero at distance). From 50-325 I was inside the dot with 55 grain ammo.

Thanks for info. Im thinking about trying it a mini 14. Seems for the purpose of that gun, my truck gun at the club, it should help to be faster getting on target. Being a 223, it hopefully will work well with the vortex. But theres the 44.....but i got a scope for that and my ancient eyes.
    Last edited by rp; 05-15-2018 at 06:55 AM.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

With my experience on the mini 14 it will be as accurate as the gun and should work ok. I use a 5moa 2 power (2,5 moa) on a 300bo. Its an ar platform that that will shoot 3 inch groups at 100 yds on factory ammo.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

I am not to proud to mention this for the good of the order. Had AD with a Eotech on a AR. Happened after I loaded the weapon, went to turn on the sight and pushed my finger into the trigger(4lb) while pushing the "ON" button and pulling back on the pistol grip. I had muzzle awareness and the shot was a foot in front of my right foot. Hair raising today as it was 7 years ago. Should have locked and loaded, then put the weapon on safe and turned the sight on while ensuring the whole time my finger was out of the trigger guard. Simple sequence events could have hurt or killed a couple of my best friends or me. Lesson learned, Be safe and AD can happen to anyone, any experience level.