Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Processing

Default Deer Processing

What kind of grinders do yall use to process your venison? Was looking at the Cabelas brand, and they look pretty solid and have tons of parts readily available for them which is a plus.

LEM

I have one that I picked up from Northern. Going strong after 10 yrs making burger, sausage, hash, relish, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by We Jeep Inn View Post
    I have one that I picked up from Northern. Going strong after 10 yrs making burger, sausage, hash, relish, etc.

I also use the Northern Tool Grinder. I've had it about 8-10 years and usually grind 2-3 deer a year.

I just tried to look it up on their website and it looks like they have gone to a different make/model.

1 hp Cabelas I've had for 8-10 years. Works good. No issues.

Kitchen aid mixer attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by Campbeller View Post
    What I use also. Take all the metal guts out of the grinder and stick them in the freezer for a while before I grind. Makes a cleaner finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    What I use also. Take all the metal guts out of the grinder and stick them in the freezer for a while before I grind. Makes a cleaner finished product.
    partially frozen meat runs better also.
    i only grind as i need, if i were to do any more than 10-15lbs at a time i would go w a dedicated machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Campbeller View Post
    talk to me.

my daughter has the mixer. wife got the grinder attachment, etc. Trying to grind some butt into sausage and the fatty parts clog the mechanism. i was using the larger one, too. Completely ineffective. I stopped and froze the meat for about 20min. it didnt help much. I cant imagine freezing the metal part would help but I'm willing to try if it does.

What gives????
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Freezing the metal parts keeps the fat from “gumming up” as much. I’ve only used my KA grinder for cubes of deer plus a few strips of bacon for burgers. Never tried grinding pig for sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    talk to me.

my daughter has the mixer. wife got the grinder attachment, etc. Trying to grind some butt into sausage and the fatty parts clog the mechanism. i was using the larger one, too. Completely ineffective. I stopped and froze the meat for about 20min. it didnt help much. I cant imagine freezing the metal part would help but I'm willing to try if it does.

What gives????
    Grinding causes friction. Friction generates heat. Heat softens/melts the fat. Soft fat clogs up auger and plate.

Cold meat and cold parts reduce/delay the process.

No physics in pre dental curriculum?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

Nope, all we have to know how to do is make holes, fill holes, and poison people with fluoride

exactly^

and once the cold meat hit the cold metal, the metal got colder.

it still got gummed up within seconds and i got pissy and threw things.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    He didn't attend class that day

We've run a Hobart for many years and I'd hate to estimate how many thousands of lbs of deer and pig went through it. 2 years ago we got a top of the line Cabela's and it lasted 2 days before the gears were destroyed. Bought the newer model last year and ran it 20-30 times and it did very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

LEM. Used the stand mixer for years too.

2th is your blade making good contact with the grind plate?

Quote Originally Posted by We Jeep Inn View Post
    We bought the one from Northern a few years back and use it for 2-3 deer a year with no issues. I don't think you could go wrong with Cabela's stuff though. They will replace just about anything if it breaks.
    We coat the grinder blades with a little vegetable oil and also try to let the meat set up a bit in the freezer before grinding. Not using or adding fat though.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    We bought the one from Northern a few years back and use it for 2-3 deer a year with no issues. I don't think you could go wrong with Cabela's stuff though. They will replace just about anything if it breaks.
    We coat the grinder blades with a little vegetable oil and also try to let the meat set up a bit in the freezer before grinding. Not using or adding fat though.
    Not adding fat?? How's that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Straight ground venison is what we use the grinder for and responding to the op mostly. Not making sausage or commenting on such.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles