Thread: Wood duck box

Default Wood duck box

I have a question about making a wood duck box. I have good videos to make one but questions I have is where to put it and when do you clean it out? We have 2 ponds on our lease but one of them might be getting sold so I don't want to put one on that pond. The back small pond currently has a pair of woodies on it and 3-4 babies that are swimming around. I was thinking about putting one on the shallow edge of that pond or should I put it closer to some of the trees? The pond is super small.

I just realized I put this in the wrong place can someone in admin move it?

Predator guard is a must.

Doesn't have to be in the water or even that close to it, but I try to put mine in the water away from tree branches that will let snakes/coons, etc get around the guard.

The predator guard is the metal cone shape thing under it right? Is it just sheet metal and riveted together? How do you attach that? I was thinking about using a metal t-post for my pole and using u-bolts to hold the box on it or should I just use a 4x4 post? I can get it afew yards in the water for sure.

Contact Cajunwannabe, he can answer your questions.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

Quote Originally Posted by Buckhunter99 View Post
    The predator guard is the metal cone shape thing under it right? Is it just sheet metal and riveted together? How do you attach that? I was thinking about using a metal t-post for my pole and using u-bolts to hold the box on it or should I just use a 4x4 post? I can get it afew yards in the water for sure.
    Yes, it's usually galvanized sheet metal cut in a circle. Someone was asking about a place to get these from the other day. Not sure they found anything. But a google search shows some dimensions for how to cut them and then rivet them like you said. I debated the same thing on the post, but went with a 4x4 because it's hard to attach a predator guard to a tpost. I've still got a couple to put up that the soil isn't ideal. I'm going to add a tpost to help support the 4x4 for those.

ETA: I've seen pvc and some flat pieces of sheet metal used as predator guards as well. Not sure how well they work. But might be another option. Something is better than nothing.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 05-14-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Yeah adding the guard to a t-post definitely can be a problem that I had not thought about. The main reason I was thinking about a t-post is the fact that I have some and was thinking about putting it a couple feet into the water because it is a corn field next to the pond and I cant take a chance of it getting in the way of the farmer. Could use a t-post then put PVC pipe over it and rivet the metal into holes I put in the PVC?!?!

we used an old disk blade as a predator guard (not completely worn out so it was still large enough diameter to actually guard against predators). Slipped it on and then welded it.

If you are going to periodically check the nest during the nesting season, a small piece of no pest strip in top of the box will keep the wasp out.