Thread: Quail Holding Pen

Default Quail Holding Pen

Does anyone have any advice or recommendation on a holding pen for quail/pigeons? I am wanting to build something that will hold about 50 birds for at most a month or two. My goal is to hold birds that I could not only train with but release a few to hunt over and then purchase more as necessary.

I am thinking about a 4x6 frame with hardware wire for flooring and siding that would be built about 3 to 4 feet off of the ground. My thought is to put a PT plywood roof over it and PT plywood slats on the sides to break up the sun. Would a 4x6 pen be big enough to hold about 50 birds or so?

Here you go. Google johnny house. I'd look into a return for them as well. That way you can resuse the same birds.

http://scducks.com/forum/showthread....t=johnny+house

Size is adequate but I would go longer, much longer if you want them to fly. Also Id put them on the ground, not on wire. Third, I do 3 ft of hardware cloth,(metal siding is even better), then 1" poultry wire to the top and for the roof. A hard roof will lose more birds to head bumps.

Edit: re-read your post. If you're buying mature birds that grew out in a fly pen then the Johnny house is a good way to go.
    Last edited by CurLee; 05-09-2018 at 07:42 AM.

I haven't had great luck with birds recalling to a johnny house. Pen raised birds are dumb as rocks and need some training to learn to find their way home. On top of that, you need some permits if you're going to (legally) recapture them.

don't use wire for the floor.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

The only reason I would choose to use the wire for the flooring is ease of cleaning. What do you recommend using instead of wire? Solid Plywood floor, deck boards, or slats of plywood with wire in between for cleaning?

When we first started training dogs. We had a small chicken coop with wood floor. we would scoop the poop and shavings out and sanitize the floor.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

You want to use wire because birds shit a lot...and laying/grower mash does their stomach like Taco Bell does humans. First one I made had a wood floor....big mistake. Make sure you use small hardware cloth. If the holes are too big they will injure there legs.

Make sure you run some supports where you need to walk to get in there to feed/water and catch birds.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 05-09-2018 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cduke View Post
    I am thinking about a 4x6 frame with hardware wire for flooring and siding that would be built about 3 to 4 feet off of the ground. My thought is to put a PT plywood roof over it and PT plywood slats on the sides to break up the sun. Would a 4x6 pen be big enough to hold about 50 birds or so?
    Your pen has to low to the ground and big enough for you to get in there to catch birds. You gonna lose a lot of birds trying to stick you net and arm in there with the door cracked.

Follow the link UGA_dawg posted.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

FWIW I helped my family raise several thousand quail/pheasant/chukar per year in my youth. We had 1/2" hardware cloth "pallets" built under everywhere we kept birds on the ground. Including the flight pens, this was done to prevent diseases from taking out the whole flock.

My johnny house has a sliding door that I can run birds out of into a carry cage. I don't have to get inside to catch birds or actually handle them.

You also need to consider some sort of pest deterrent, like a hot wire around the outside to discourage coons, possums, coyotes, stray dogs, etc.

One trick that works well for a recall pen entrance is to put a mirror on the inside so when a bird looks in, he sees a friend.