Thread: Briar Pants/Cruising Pants

Default Briar Pants/Cruising Pants

Those of you that are in the woods all day cruising, surveying, and what not. What are y’all wearing pant wise? Just starting a new job and will be cruising timber at least 4 out of 5 days for the first 3 months or so. I’ve got plenty of lightweight carhartt stuff but the tract I’ll be working is thick! So looking for something lightweight but tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I always carried a pair of chaps in the truck for cruising. That being said, I'd rather take 6 to 8 swift kicks in the nuts than have to put one more plot in on a cruise line.

The carhartt thicker pair work very well in my opinion. The thinner carhartts won't stop briars and don't last very long. The chaps and briar pants and similar stuff get to be leg ovens in the summer. Light and tall boots help as well.

The Lite carhartt pants are about all I can stand when it gets hot. Carhartt use to make the lite weight pants with a double front. They were awesome but I think they quit making them.

All you need is a compass like Santee11 has. It navigates you around all the briar patches between plots. The filson tin chaps are about the lightest thing I’ve found, but still hot as the devil in the summer. Best advice is light pants with a snake boot or gators and just muscle through it.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    The Lite carhartt pants are about all I can stand when it gets hot. Carhartt use to make the lite weight pants with a double front. They were awesome but I think they quit making them.
    I found some lightweight double fronts I believe I’m gonna order and try. That with snake boots and I should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by GunDogSetter View Post
    All you need is a compass like Santee11 has. It navigates you around all the briar patches between plots. The filson tin chaps are about the lightest thing I’ve found, but still hot as the devil in the summer. Best advice is light pants with a snake boot or gators and just muscle through it.
    I have never seen a briar patch I could not bypass.

Duluth Firehose Pants. Cooler than you'd expect and pretty tough
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue

Mule clothing chaps. Aint too much lightweight stufff gonna be tough enough.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    I have never seen a briar patch I could not bypass.
    �� this is true. I’ve never seen a briar patch he went through.

Quote Originally Posted by gobblinfever View Post
    �� this is true. I’ve never seen a briar patch he went through.
    Its hard to see them from the truck.

Briar pants and chaps make for a miserable day when it's above 80. I just wear regular carharts and beat my way through or try and 90 around in the summer.

Santee Eleven is like "Face" from the A-team.

I have been wearing diluth trading armachillo pants during the hot months to survey, the last three years. If you are looking for something a little thicker the firehouse work pants are a little thicker and they are what I wear from October to thru April. There is not a more comfortable pair of pants on the market than theirs. I gave my carharts away when my wife got me diluth.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 05-07-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by benman View Post
    Duluth Firehose Pants. Cooler than you'd expect and pretty tough
    I'll second this. Once they get broken in, their pretty damn comfortable and not as hot as you'd expect.

Quote Originally Posted by GunDogSetter View Post
    All you need is a compass like Santee11 has. It navigates you around all the briar patches between plots.
    well played for post #2!!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.