Thread: Conventional Starter Kit

Default Conventional Starter Kit

I really should know better than to start this thread... but what the hell, it's Friday.

Looking for recommendations for entry level gear. I've always just used whatever my hosts had on the boat, but we're getting into a boat with some offshore potential. I'm not sure how often we'll go out to troll, but I'd like to get a few setups for a reasonable price while I figure that out. I'm leaning towards TLD-25s, is there a better value out there that won't shit the bed the first year? Used ok? Rod recommendations also welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can go ahead and tell you what everyone will say. What do you plan on fishing for?

Supper, mostly.

Dolphin, wahoo, whatever the hell I can stumble into. Will also do some bottom fishing etc.

And I know, Internationals and Tiagras are the only way to go, buy once cry once, etc, etc.

I would get some used international 30 wides. You can usually find those pretty reasonable.

Tld 30 2speeds on standup rods- get rods with roller tip and roller stripper. If you are still getting after it in a few years upgrade to Tiagra 30s and maybe a 50 for a shotgun.

We use these setups off S.C. and a month or two out of the year in La. They flat out work and can take a beating. Depending on how you fish they hold plenty of line and have adequate retrieve.
    Last edited by bitesize; 05-04-2018 at 09:18 AM.

I have some almost new TLD 20’s loaded with Momoi Diamond on Ugly Stick Boat rods and upgraded power handles I’ll sell for $200.00/ea. I took them on a ride twice last year been in the closet since. Perfect for dolphin.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Avet LX 6.0 single speed on a crowder rod. Or look up pinnacle rods on THT. You can catch sails, whites, dolphin, tuna, wahoo, cobia, bottom fish all on that rod/reel combo. It’s somewhat similar in price to TLD and a better reel.

Pickup 2 50 Wide combos on bent butts for your flatline/wahoo trolling. 50 wides can be used for everything from dolphin to wahoo to blue marlin. I prefer the 20-30class reels for everything but big wahoo and blues though. Avet 50EXW, tiagra 50, TLD 50 all will suit you fine. THT has some decent used gear from time to time. But be careful not be buy someone’s beat up shit in order to save $100.

Light and fast beats heavy ass gear in most fights.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 05-04-2018 at 10:24 AM.

How tall are the rods Salty? 20's are Stout enough?

Good info, thanks Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowcountry Boy View Post
    How tall are the rods Salty? 20's are Stout enough?

I believe they’re either 6’ or 6’6”. Stout enough for dolphin and bFT or a wahoo up to 30-40#. Bigger you’ll be chasing it but that’s what the pointy end is for. I’ve caught 20-25# dolphin on an Avet MXJ with ease. If you’re targeting big wahoo and billfish, that’s another level of gear and expense in tackle all together. Hell, you can catch sails all day long on those.

They’re cheap and good, the handle upgrades really make a difference too. Be great for occasional to moderate use. If you’re going all the time then more heavy duty setups are in order. Just good small boat setups. Sort of wished I had taken them Wednesday.

As for using them bottom fishing, my trolling gear is set up completely different than my bottom fishing gear. I just switch out when I go bottom hunting. I don’t like mono for that and only have braid on my bent butts for the high speed game which I’ve just started.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Avet LX 6.0 single speed on a crowder rod. Or look up pinnacle rods on THT. You can catch sails, whites, dolphin, tuna, wahoo, cobia, bottom fish all on that rod/reel combo. It’s somewhat similar in price to TLD and a better reel.

Pickup 2 50 Wide combos on bent butts for your flatline/wahoo trolling. 50 wides can be used for everything from dolphin to wahoo to blue marlin. I prefer the 20-30class reels for everything but big wahoo and blues though. Avet 50EXW, tiagra 50, TLD 50 all will suit you fine. THT has some decent used gear from time to time. But be careful not be buy someone’s beat up shit in order to save $100.

Light and fast beats heavy ass gear in most fights.
    The Pinnacles are just as good as the Crowder and less than 1/2 the cost. I got two of the high speed short bents and compared the two, not a bit of difference. Topped them with Avet EXW 50/2 loaded with 600yd 130# JB over backing. Those things are slick. I’ve got one of his acid wrapped jigging rods on order to see if it’ll hold up better than the Paraflex’s I keep breaking on my conventional reels. He’s got a quality product at a great price.