Thread: Savage 111 "Build"

Default Savage "Build" Recommendations

I use the term "build" loosely since I am just wanting to upgrade furniture and my optic. I picked up a Savage 11/111 XP in .30-06 a few years ago as a combo for a good deal. I don't deer hunt very often, however I like having a gun that will be ready to go when I get the itch. It is fairly accurate as is (I'm not an expert rifleman by any means) but I am wondering if a better stock will help improve accuracy.

I am not a fan of the cheap polymer stock that it came with and want to upgrade that. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this gun or a 110 on a Boyd's or Bell and Carlson stock. Any recommendation on wood vs composite? Thumb-hole or traditional etc.?

I also want to move up the ladder in terms of a scope. The one that came on it isn't terrible, but it would be better served on a .22 or similar varmint caliber rifle (low-light clarity is sub-par).

Are there any other things I should consider upgrading on this gun? It does have the adjustable Accu-trigger and I do like it.
    Last edited by Hosscat; 05-02-2018 at 07:49 AM.

Had a Boyds on the 7-08 I sold and liked it a lot, featherweight thumbhole. ID see if you could still get one of those ER5 Leicas, be a nice hunting rig for sure then.

I have same gun in 6.5 creed more and looking to do the same thing. Change stock and get rid of the Nikon and mounts that came with this package. Will be following this thread.

If it was mine I’d do a B&C stock, new trigger and a Leupold VX5.

I put my Savage 10 action in a Boyds Target stock with the adjustable cheek comb and pillar bedded it. It's a tack driver for sure, but a bit heavier. To me it comes down to point of use. If your going to be possibly making 200 plus yard shots, than maybe a better stock and perhaps better glass is in order. Inside 100 yards or as a stalking, woods gun, I would keep the original stock. Now Glass is another beast entirely. I like to run the Vortex Hog hunter glass on a short to mid range rig, but I'm sure someone else here will have something better they like.
    JT
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often. And for the same reason.

As with anything custom in the gun world it comes down to your intended use and how much you want to spend. If money isn't an issue I'd put it in a manners EH1 with the mini chassis, a step down would be B&C, further down would be a boyds.

I'm also 100% convinced a PROPERLY pillared and beaded Boyd's will shoot with any stock on the market accuracy wise. It just won't look cool or be as well made as others and will hurt the dollar value of the gun.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    As with anything custom in the gun world it comes down to your intended use and how much you want to spend. If money isn't an issue I'd put it in a manners EH1 with the mini chassis, a step down would be B&C
    I wish I could justify the Manners but as little as I actually get to deer hunt, I don't see it being an option.

I would go with a B&C sporter stock and either a Leupold vx-3 3.5x10-50 or a Trijicon accupoint 2.5x10-56.

I did put a Boyd's prarie hunter stock on an A-Bolt last year and it's a solid stock other than being a little slick due to the lack of checkering. I like it enough that I bought another for a model 70 and am going to order one for a savage model 11. But for only $100 more I prefer my B&C, it just feels better to me and the gun is still shooting 1/2 moa without any bedding.

My gun is left handed
    From what little I have looked so for who makes a left handed stock for a model 11

Just My

If you’re not going to drop the coin on a nice stock (Manners, McMillan) just put the extra $$ on the glass and a nice trigger and rock out.

Quote Originally Posted by thawhacker View Post
    My gun is left handed
    From what little I have looked so for who makes a left handed stock for a model 11
    Manners and McMillan will both inlet for lefty. 4-6 week lead time if you order a flat top stock that's on the shelf
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I don't know why, with all the gun crap I'm juggling now, but I have this desire to possibly restock my Savage LRH 7mm Rem Mag. I may put it in a chassis, as it is likely getting replaced as a hunting gun in most roles.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Has anyone had any trouble with an Accutrigger "locking up" or not staying in adjustment consistently? I may go ahead and drop in a trigger as well while I'm at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosscat View Post
    Has anyone had any trouble with an Accutrigger "locking up" or not staying in adjustment consistently? I may go ahead and drop in a trigger as well while I'm at it.
    Replace it. I dropped the Accutrigger in my 10PC and just put it in a B&C Medalist 1012, it was accurate before but got a lot more shootable to me after. Damn heavy though.

Picked up one of those 12FV’s from Cabelas in 6.5 and dropped it in a B&C, have a Timney ready to go in it but will probably sell it, don’t have time for it or a real drive to work with it.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Hosscat View Post
    When it locks up is the inner trigger(silver or red) solid or does it depress?
    Last edited by Griffin; 05-11-2018 at 05:26 AM.

When it locks up is the inner trigger(silver or red) solid or does it depress?
    I haven't had it happen yet, I was just wondering if it would be worth replacing. Is it one of those "it's not if it will happen, it's when" kind of things? While reading up on it, I read that it can lock up, I just don't know anyone that has had it happen personally.
    Last edited by Hosscat; 05-11-2018 at 09:08 AM.

You won't regret putting a timney trigger in it.

Manners and McMillan will both inlet for lefty. 4-6 week lead time if you order a flat top stock that's on the shelf
    Not up on all this stuff. What do you mean by flat top stock. I went on both there sites checking out what they got.