Thread: Number 2 and 3

Default Number 2 and 3

I've chased a group of 3 birds around a small property for two years now. I assume they're the same from last year, but there's no way to know for sure, but they act the same. I had them spitting and drumming close a few times, but never could see them due to the terrain and cover. The only thing consistent about them is that they're inconsistent and never roost in the same area two days in a row (half mile apart, across the river, etc.). Anyway I chased them a few times and struck out. On the long walk back to the truck after getting soaked walking through knee deep water to get to them only top have them go the other way, I struck a bird up around 8:00 and killed him a few minutes later after he put on a nice show looking for a hen. Average beard and spurs a little over an inch if you really stretch the tape measure.

Got on a few more birds that got toted off by hens and I got too impatient to wait out.

I have befriended an older man outside of town and spend an hour or two talking to him every time I stop by. I mentioned turkeys the last time I talked to him, and he told me I could hunt behind his house, but he hasn't seen a turkey back there in the spring in years, but he killed them there 20-30 years ago when he hunted.

I setup on the edge of the swamp Sunday and only heard one bird on the roost 1000 yards and two field properties over, but he was hot and started gobbling at 6:05. I moved to the property edge and called loudly when he hit the ground (stopped gobbling every 30 seconds). I didn't hear anything for 10 minutes and called back when I heard a gobble a little closer. 10 minutes later, I heard a gobble so close I couldn't tell where it came from. I waited a few minutes and turned to my left to look through the thick hedgerow to see if he was in the field on the other property. I didn't see him and turned back around only to see him to the right, and he was spooked. I put the gun on him and made a shot that was probably 10 yards too far and knocked him down. After a footchase, I caught him 100 yards from where I shot. I carried him back to the hedgerow thinking he was dead only to have him run off when I set him down. Ended up having to shoot him again a few yards before he got into the woods.

Spurs a touch over an inch that sliced me up a little and a very slight double beard (my first). Wings were really dark. Hunted about 15 morning including a few hunts where I was only calling or taking a video for guaranteed kills that didn't materialize. Heard birds every morning but one. Things seem to just be getting good now with less hens to compete with.

Last edited by WNM; 04-26-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Congrats!, That field looks to pretty not to have turkeys in.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 04-26-2018 at 08:15 AM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

good job tubesocks
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Nice job!
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

like it

Boom, congrats! Tell it like it happened. I have also lived similar experiences years ago and appreciate the read.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I always treat turkeys like bass

As soon as you get your hands on em, toss em in the air and shoot em again.

Socks
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Fine job tube socks!

Well done

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Congrats!, That field looks to pretty not to have turkeys in.
    ha. interesting....
    where I hunt...birds never step foot in fields. they much prefer the thicker swamp. I saw the open woods in his first pic and thought the same as you--those woods are too pretty not to have a turkey in them.

good job, WNM. You are a fine example of an scducks success story, in my book. You took your lumps and kept on trucking....and contributed those two nice birds and stories today. Good on you
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Nice work, tube socks!

Let me have those black primaries!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    ha. interesting....
    where I hunt...birds never step foot in fields. they much prefer the thicker swamp. I saw the open woods in his first pic and thought the same as you--those woods are too pretty not to have a turkey in them.
    And I've bumped birds from and called them into thickets a hog would think twice about going into instead of coming through picturesque turkey territory. Turkeys gonna turkey I reckon.

I’m not seeing pics

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowman View Post
    I’m not seeing pics
    Same
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

i take people to my place (very few turkeys) and they want to set up in a food plot. I tell them we arent. after the hunt (successful or not), i take them to look for tracks in the plots. I always win.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.