Thread: JD seed meter with fingers

Default JD seed meter with fingers

I have a 7100 planter with a corn seed meter with fingers. I need a meter that can handle smaller seeds like sunflowers. Does anyone have any experience with the Kinze brush type meter? Would it work better on sunflowers and other smaller seeds than just getting the sunflower finger assembly?

If I remember correctly it will do blackoil #2 seeds fine......maybe #3.

Google it to be sure.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Kinze brush meters work well for soybeans not for corn and flowers. If you are hell bent on sunflower fingers I have a set but I just run my corn fingers. Take the meters to Southern Crop Consultants in Holly Hill and get them to dial them in, they will plant a picket fence.
    cut\'em

That 7100 with corn fingers will plant sunflowers fine, that’s all I use. You’ll get occasional doubles but not enough to bother changing your setup.

Precision planting makes a set just for sunflowers. They have shorter fingers and seem to do better than the regular corn meters. May be what you’re looking for.

Well, not knowing any better, I bought #4 Clearfield seeds. I can't wait to see them pop up so I can see how crooked and skippy my rows are.

I can't imagine I'll need it for anything but corn and sunflowers. If I can get by with the fingers I have with bigger sunflower seeds, I will probably hold off on getting another set for small stuff.

How does the corn meter do with peanuts or soy beans? I'm just planting game food stuff and not for profit. Would I need a plate meter for those?

I have the 4 row 7000 with corn fingers. I plant everything with it. Corn sunflowers chufa peanuts. Never noticed a problem. Plant sunflowers on 10 in spacing. Does really well
    Last edited by Rem11-87; 04-25-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Well that's good news!

Thanks for all the replies. I'll be back with more questions soon.

Tommy- Precision makes a set for that planter. Im like Southern, I have a set, but continue to use my corn meters