Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montana

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Montana

My good friend is moving to Montana this year. I plan on making a trip in the fall of 2019, it maybe premature but I want myself and the dog as ready as possible. Anybody have any good tips? Is it hard to fly the dog out?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

What are you going to be hunting?
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

You need to get a lot more detailed. Montana is not small.

We will be in the Billings area hunting upland and waterfowl. Shooting for mid October to early November

“… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”

Hunting will be good, the Montucky cold snacks will be great...

Expect to have a grand time. Billings is a beautiful area. Huns, Sharpies and maybe a Pheasant or three if lucky. Nickel plated lead #6s are the load of choice.. Fiocchi Golden Pheasants work and are available locally. #5s are better if the wind is high and / or birds are flushing a little ahead of the dogs.

Enjoy.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

How difficult will it be to fly the dog? That is what I'm most worried about.

Drive out there. Go further north in October for waterfowl IMO. I hunted the Yellowstone, Big Horn and Tongue rivers when I lived out there. The 3 seasons I was there end of Oct never got good. Ride towards Malta up 87.
    cut\'em

Being active duty military. And I'll be in Mississippi at the time. I cant afford 2 days of driving. I wish I could though

Its not hard to fly a dog. Delta does it. no leg of the trip can the temp reach 85 deg. got to have food and water in the kennel, etc, etc. a grown kennel trained dog shouldnt be a problem. if you are shipping puppies, the the food, water, cardboard, poop and pee mixes together for a nice gravy on touchdown

Flying the dog won't be cheap..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Look into getting the dog qualified as a service dog, then he can just walk on the plane with you. Seriously. It's not that difficult from what I've been told

It’s a GSP, I think, so that shit will be seen right through. The only things those mutts service are midgets and clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    It’s a GSP, I think, so that shit will be seen right through. The only things those mutts service are midgets and clowns.
    GWP, dont curse my dog like that.

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    GWP, dont curse my dog like that.

My deepest apologies, my brother

X2 on the Golden Pheasant. I hunted S. Dakota last year and had no problem knocking down pheasant and sharp tails. Be prepared for the birds to flush at 35 yards.

Don't know where in Mississippi you are or if you're interested but I know a trainer in N. Mississippi I've taken my Britt to that may be able to help condition your dog if you lack the time and access to birds

Quote Originally Posted by orion View Post
    Don't know where in Mississippi you are or if you're interested but I know a trainer in N. Mississippi I've taken my Britt to that may be able to help condition your dog if you lack the time and access to birds
    Yeah I'll be at Columbus AFB, I could def use the help. I haven't looked into anything in the area. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    Yeah I'll be at Columbus AFB, I could def use the help. I haven't looked into anything in the area. Thanks!

Clear your PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by orion View Post
    Clear your PMs.
    Done