Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: River Cooter

I always called those painted turtles. White boys from O'ree call snappers cooters. And river cooter usually meant you struck out early in the night so therefore you moved on to river cooter.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Yellow-bellied Slider.

Not sure I’ve ever met a white fella that actually called a turtle a “cooter.”
    You have now! I think everyone in Williamsburg County (where I grew up) does. (Except for BigolefunkyT since he is so proper)

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    Believe it or not, "cooter" is the generally accepted proper name for the group of turtles that includes sliders.
    Although this may be correct, I tend to lean towards the response below:

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    The only turtles I have ever called cooter are snapping turtles. I'd call that a slider or a terrapin.
    Kinda like the fella and his kids who just killed that "pilot" snake in the road with a rock on another thread

I understand that "Cooter" is regional vernacular for turtles, and is often specifically applied to snapping turtles. My point was simply that the word is also a proper name for a specific genus of freshwater turtles, including sliders, which I thought was interesting.

I get it. I wasn't being coy. I actually researched and found what you posted, after my buddy's dad had a front license plate that said "Eat more Cooter" with a picture of a little box turtle on it, and it didn't look like the normal irrigation pond cooter that I was used to

Always called em cooters.

I drove through Allendale yesterday and the streets were blocked of for "Cooterfest 2018". I didn't stop to check out the Allendale cooters.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    And it's one of those words that is just fun to say
    Kinda like plutonium. Accept funner...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I'll post a picture of what the op thought he had when I get a chance. Good to know I got another admirer on here now uga.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

What the op had:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/26XCZ4A]
    What the op thought he had:
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles