Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TN Reps have balls

Default TN Reps have balls

Must be nice...

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The Republican-dominated House in Tennessee voted Tuesday to punish the city of Memphis for removing Confederate monuments by taking $250,000 away from the city that would have been used for a bicentennial celebration next year.

The retaliation came in the form of passage of a last-minute amendment attached to the House appropriations bill that triggered heated debate on the House floor and stinging rebukes from lawmakers from Memphis.

Rep. Antonio Parkinson began to call the amendment vile and racist before being cut off by boos from fellow lawmakers.

"You can boo all you want but let's call it for what it is," the Memphis representative said.

Last year the city of Memphis, which is majority black, was able to find a legal loophole to get rid of two Confederate statues and a bust by selling city parks to a nonprofit, which swiftly removed the monuments. Taken away under cover of darkness where statues of Confederate President Jefferson Davis and Nathan Bedford Forrest. Forrest was a general in the confederacy, a slave owner and a leader in the Ku Klux Klan. A bust of a Confederate soldier was also removed.

Parkinson, who is African-American, said he was sick of how fellow lawmakers revered Forrest "as if he was God, as if he was an idol."

"You remove money from a city because we removed your God from our grounds," Parkinson said.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...tatues-n866961

Obviously, those reps are anti-Christian.

How so?
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    How so?
    Pretty sure Kioti was making a dig at our fellow Ductape...

Right over my head

Bravo Kioti
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Can't say I don't agree with them when it comes to Beford statue. He was a grand wizard in the KKK, I can see the reasoning behind taking the statue down.

With that said ... I stay out of Memphis as much as possible, it's a certified shit hole.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Can't say I don't agree with them when it comes to Beford statue. He was a grand wizard in the KKK, I can see the reasoning behind taking the statue down.

With that said ... I stay out of Memphis as much as possible, it's a certified shit hole.
    If that is what you know about General Forrest, I suggest that you read "That Devil Forrest" and "Forrest and his Critter Company".

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    If that is what you know about General Forrest, I suggest that you read "That Devil Forrest" and "Forrest and his Critter Company".
    I know the basics, don’t claim to know much in depth. Business man/farmer, joined confederacy, rose to general, joined KKK after the war, became the grand wizard, disavowed the KKK and denied being involved later in life. That’s about the extent of what I know.

With that said, I can’t see the point of having the statue of the first grand wizard of the kkk up. Confederate generals/soldiers, sure, I see the case being made to keep them up. I’m not being argumentative, but what reasons would you give to keep his statue in place?

After the war, his actions protected the city of Memphis in time of crisis. When the Federal occupiers were concerned only with lining their pockets, someone had to step up and keep the peace.

Would that they had such leadership in Memphis now. It was a truly wonderful city.

If you are much of a reader at all, those books are great and serve to show how a man can come from less than nothing, and become a business success, hero to his country, and admired even by his enemies.

He got his history knowledge from Forrest Gump

War does not determine who is right or wrong, it only determines who gets to write the history books.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    This is the truth. All the hotels I pass have barbed wire fences around the parking lot. I’d hate to break down in that place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    He got his history knowledge from Forrest Gump
    Because I can understand why a black person might not want to have a statue of a grand wizard in their city?

Confederate statues are one thing, the first grand wizard represents a whole different group, even if he was a part of both. I’m still not sure what I’m missing. I’ll try to read those books sometime soon, maybe it will change my mind, maybe it won’t. From where I see it now, regardless of what he did to keep Memphis together, he was the leader of the KKK. I would think if anything this hurts the cause of people trying to keep confederate memorials around by having that association.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

JAB, The problem is most people have no idea why the Klan was formed in the first place. It was originally started to protect people from Republicans. You need to read W.J. Bryan Dorn's book. He was in our House of Representative from 1947 to 1949 then from 1951 to 1975. He died in 2005. In his book he talked about when he was a kid growing up here in Greenwood and the Talbots moved to town. The Talbots were the first Republicans most people had every seen here. He said when if one of them was walking down the street all the mothers, including his, would come out and herd the kids back in the house. They were that afraid of the Republicans. A fear like that had to come from some pretty horrible events in the past. Btw, the Talbots were here when I was growing up too. Craziest people I ever saw, and rich. Margaret used to ride around in an old car so full of trash it was spilling out the doors and even the windows. Her brother lived on the original land on Laurel Rd. As a kid I saw him at Dillishaw's store a thousand times. He had a long beard and rode a horse everywhere he went. He would also ride all the way around his property every day looking for trespassers. Supposedly his father told him if he ever shaved or used a car he would lose his inheritance. Their uncle built the Rock House out on Rock House Rd. Strange bunch.

The Klan had nothing to do with black people, it had everything to do with all people who were sorry sobs. History has focused on the blacks for obvious reasons. If you were a sorry sob, white or black, the Klan would warn you to straighten up and act responsible. If you didn't listen they would burn a cross close to your home as a warning and if you still didn't heed said warning they would kick your ass. More sorry ass white men that were not working and taking proper care of their families got their asses straightened out by the Klan than blacks did. My grandfather was a member back in those days and he never talked about doing anything to blacks, he did talk a lot about what they did to sorry ass whites, his own brother was one of those sorry ass whites.

As for General Forrest, I've never seen where he denied being in the clan. I have seen where some Baptist ministers helped form it.

Here's a speech Gen. Forrest gave to the Pole Bearers after the war. The Pole Bearers was an organization of black people formed to promote black voting. They invited him to speak.

Forrest and the Independent Order 0f Pole Bearers (July 5, 1875 Memphis, TN)

Forrest's speech during a meeting of the "Jubilee of Pole Bearers" is a story that needs to be told. Gen. Forrest was the first white man to be invited by this group which was a forerunner of today's Civil Right's group. A reporter of the Memphis Avalanche newspaper was sent to cover the event that included a Southern barbeque supper.

Miss Lou Lewis, daughter of a Pole Bearer member, was introduced to Forrest and she presented the former general a bouquet of flowers as a token of reconciliation, peace and good will. On July 5, 1875, Nathan Bedford Forrest delivered this speech:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the Southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. (Immense applause and laughter.) I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to elevate every man, to depress none.

(Applause.)

I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand." (Prolonged applause.)

Nathan Bedford Forrest again thanked Miss Lewis for the bouquet and then gave her a kiss on the cheek. Such a kiss was unheard of in the society of those days, in 1875, but it showed a token of respect and friendship between the general and the black community and did much to promote harmony among the citizens of Memphis.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 04-18-2018 at 08:52 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Wade Hampton and the red shirts must have been huge racists too

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I would have stayed long enough to eat some of that barbecue!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I wonder how many people know who Anthony Johnson and John Casor are.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    JAB, The problem is most people have no idea why the Klan was formed in the first place. It was originally started to protect people from Republicans. You need to read W.J. Bryan Dorn's book. He was in our House of Representative from 1947 to 1949 then from 1951 to 1975. He died in 2005. In his book he talked about when he was a kid growing up here in Greenwood and the Talbots moved to town. The Talbots were the first Republicans most people had every seen here. He said when if one of them was walking down the street all the mothers, including his, would come out and herd the kids back in the house. They were that afraid of the Republicans. A fear like that had to come from some pretty horrible events in the past. Btw, the Talbots were here when I was growing up too. Craziest people I ever saw, and rich. Margaret used to ride around in an old car so full of trash it was spilling out the doors and even the windows. Her brother lived on the original land on Laurel Rd. As a kid I saw him at Dillishaw's store a thousand times. He had a long beard and rode a horse everywhere he went. He would also ride all the way around his property every day looking for trespassers. Supposedly his father told him if he ever shaved or used a car he would lose his inheritance. Their uncle built the Rock House out on Rock House Rd. Strange bunch.

The Klan had nothing to do with black people, it had everything to do with all people who were sorry sobs. History has focused on the blacks for obvious reasons. If you were a sorry sob, white or black, the Klan would warn you to straighten up and act responsible. If you didn't listen they would burn a cross close to your home as a warning and if you still didn't heed said warning they would kick your ass. More sorry ass white men that were not working and taking proper care of their families got their asses straightened out by the Klan than blacks did. My grandfather was a member back in those days and he never talked about doing anything to blacks, he did talk a lot about what they did to sorry ass whites, his own brother was one of those sorry ass whites.

As for General Forrest, I've never seen where he denied being in the clan. I have seen where some Baptist ministers helped form it.

Here's a speech Gen. Forrest gave to the Pole Bearers after the war. The Pole Bearers was an organization of black people formed to promote black voting. They invited him to speak.

Forrest's speech during a meeting of the "Jubilee of Pole Bearers" is a story that needs to be told. Gen. Forrest was the first white man to be invited by this group which was a forerunner of today's Civil Right's group. A reporter of the Memphis Avalanche newspaper was sent to cover the event that included a Southern barbeque supper.

Miss Lou Lewis, daughter of a Pole Bearer member, was introduced to Forrest and she presented the former general a bouquet of flowers as a token of reconciliation, peace and good will. On July 5, 1875, Nathan Bedford Forrest delivered this speech:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the Southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. (Immense applause and laughter.) I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to elevate every man, to depress none.

(Applause.)

I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand." (Prolonged applause.)

Nathan Bedford Forrest again thanked Miss Lewis for the bouquet and then gave her a kiss on the cheek. Such a kiss was unheard of in the society of those days, in 1875, but it showed a token of respect and friendship between the general and the black community and did much to promote harmony among the citizens of Memphis.
    I always enjoy it when you share some Greenwood history on here.
    Dorn's son was our preacher for a while. Never heard that about the talbot family but if they are related to the guy that built the Rock House then they were definitely crazy
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post

(Applause.)

Boom, the truth will always stand.