Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crawfish

Default Crawfish

Anyone catching any yet? I was wondering if it’s still a little too cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I set a few traps the end of February for our wildgame supper. Had a fare amount in the traps the first day, but the temperature dropped, and so did the numbers. I would think the weather is nice enough now, to catch a decent amount.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Da hell are you seeing nice weather?

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Crawfishing in the British Virgin Islands.....
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

I know right, I'm about to build a f****** biodome.

Gonna have to flip an ass of rocks to catch enough to eat. Better find every kid you can send them to creeks all over the county! Give the ones who are pussies a minnow bucket dip net and tell them they should have their balls removed!

Oh yeah....save the hellgrammites for me!
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 04-20-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Cotton Top is that you??

I don't know who cotton top is but I do know you getter plan a crawfish boil wayyyy in advance if you expect to have enough to eat. Better do creek sweeps all day on your days off.

Looks outside.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

I’m just wanting about a dozen or so smaller ones for bait. I have a small creek that flows through a small swamp behind my house. Must be void of crawfish because I haven’t seen a single one. I was hoping you would chime in Fuzzy. You sound like a guy that gets it done from reading past posts

I catch mine at night. Best time.
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

Anyone on here set traps in the upstate? I catch a good many in minnow traps up here, but never really target them.

I do pretty good in Newberry county. My part of Lexington county, on the other hand, is void of all things mudbug.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    I catch mine at night. Best time.
    I always leave them overnight. Just not in good spots right now apparently

What's the best bait? Fish, gizzards ? What ya got? Oh, and how long do they need to be purged, or do they at all? The creeks I have access to are clear, cold, rocky and relatively clean.

I don't know about purging crawfish but I always purge my cooters for about 2 weeks before cleaning. I put them on a diet of deer meat and or hot dogs.

Don't know about best but I use deer liver.

I clean turtles out with deer heart/ bream. I'll try the liver for bait. Thanks.

I put fresh fish guts upstream. Fresh bait is always best for them. I actively catch them with head lamp.
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    Anyone on here set traps in the upstate? I catch a good many in minnow traps up here, but never really target them.
    I haven't in a couple of years. My traps are hanging in my utility room. I used to run them all summer. I use minnow traps too but I cut the hole a little bigger. My favorite bait was meal cake but it got hard to find. Then I found some at a hardware store in Ninety Six. Someone on here told me about them having it there. When I catch enough I always purged them in fresh water for at least 14 hours. I used to use the well water at my dad's place but since he died in 2005 and mom moved to town. Now I'll have to put them all in one or two traps and sink them in a sweet water spring that I've been drinking from since I was a kid.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."