Thread: Where to get steel tubing near Charleston?

Default Where to get steel tubing near Charleston?

I have a utility trailer that needs its tongue replaced. I need a 6' piece of 3" square tubing. Ideal would be between 3/16" and 1/4" wall thickness. I tried Charleston Supply but they wouldn't sell me anything shorter than a 20' piece. Anybody know who carries mechanical steel?

What’s mechanical steel?

There’s a place on Cross County Rd in N Charleston that sells metal like that. Can’t recall the name. You could also try A&R on Maybank Hwy.

Try Dillon Supply

Quote Originally Posted by 4THEGIRLS View Post
    There’s a place on Cross County Rd in N Charleston that sells metal like that. Can’t recall the name. You could also try A&R on Maybank Hwy.
    That is Fields Ornamental.

Charleston Steel.

Fields will sell you length you want. Good people too.

Mechanical as opposed to structural. Structural is typically much thicker and used for building construction, etc. I learned that on the Dillon website. Dillon is Charleston Supply, or at least co-located. They only had a 24' stick.

Charleston Steel has re-purposed scrap and they sell it so fast that can't tell you what they have unless you visit often. At least that's what the guy working at their Meeting St. receiving location told me.

I think I bought some aluminum from a place on Cross County several years ago. It may have been Fields Ornamental. I'll try them tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 05-02-2018 at 05:43 AM.

Field's ornamental, ask for Steve. He owns the place.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing Nut View Post
    Field's ornamental, ask for Steve. He owns the place.
    Dicky is who you would want to speak with at Fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Mechanic as opposed to structural. Structural is typically much thicker and used for building construction, etc. I learned that on the Dillon website. Dillon is Charleston Supply, or at least co-located. They only had a 24' stick.

Charleston Steel has re-purposed scrap and they sell it so fast that can't tell you what they have unless you visit often. At least that's what the guy working at their Meeting St. receiving location told me.

I think I bought some aluminum from a place on Cross County several years ago. It may have been Fields Ornamental. I'll try them tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies.
    Charleston Steel has more than re purposed scrap. They have just about any type of metal you want along with tons of new steel. They are also the cheapest. When I need square tubing or plate, I carry my trailer because I also find other stuff I need or want.

For Charleston Steel call the Highway 52 Location He will tell you what they have.

I use them often for square tube and schedule 40 & 60.

Last time I was there, about a week ago, they had some thick square tubing. Even though you may have to buy the whole piece, it maybe cheaper then a small section at Fields. Stick of schedule 40 will run $60-70 from a metal shop. I bought 3 21 ft sticks for $95 dollar from them last week.