Thread: Wenzelwoodsman Broadheads

Any of you stickbow shooters been useing Wenzel Woodsman broadheads on hogs? If so,what do you think? I've been useing them for two years on deer and love them,but no experience with hogs.
    \"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men.\" - MAURICE THOMPSON, The Witchery of Archery. 1878

I haven't used up my existing inventory of heads yet but plan on moving to the WW when I do. I've heard great things about them. I've used two blades only up to now.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Swipa, they are awesome! I started out using Bear Razorheads in 1972 and have used two blade heads with and without bleeder blades ever since. Tried Snuffers for a couple of years but didn't like to sharpen them,they were also a little harder for me to get good arrow flight with, so went back to Zwickeys and Grizzly's. The only downfall with the two blade heads is skinny blood trails at times. Not a real problem, but when it's 80 degrees and dark-thirty....IT SUCKS !!! Started using WW's in 2002. Went to West Virginia the second week of november that year and shot two good bucks on the same afternoon. Boy was i sold! It was lights out for those two deer in a hurry. Anyway, i was just wanting to hear some good reports on how they did on hogs even though i'm sure they will do fine. Good luck this year and keep'em sharp.
    \"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men.\" - MAURICE THOMPSON, The Witchery of Archery. 1878

Not to mention Gene Wenzel is one cool cat....
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

You got that right. There is nothing wrong with makeing a living from the sport that you love. I feel that Gene and Barry Wensel have both been able to do that with out " selling out". Thier books,articles,videos, and public speaking engagements have intertained,challenged, and enlightend us for a long time. They have lasted longer than many of the "heros" of bowhunting and are still around.

Longbow,

Do you shoot wood or alum arrows?

Rubberhead

Any of yall ever shoot a Thunderhead or a chisel head point out of your recurve or longbow? I have a huge inventory of'em and would like to use'em.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Candor one of the members at W.O. used to shoot Muzzy's out of his recurve because that is what he could get to fly the best. I know he wasn't shooting over 50# and he never had any trouble with deer or pigs. I would think with the weight you're shooting you'd be digging arrows out the dirt on the other side.

Swipa, I shoot both. Shot cedar only for a long time but as the quality of shafting started to go down hill in the mid 90's i started using 2117's. The problem with the wood shafts for a few years was the mass wieght. I was wanting a finished arrow in the 60-65# range to have a mass wieght of 575-600 grains and was ending up with 490-520. I found that a 30" 2117 with a long broadhead adapter and a 125gr. head was giving me the wieght i was looking for and good arrow flight out of my long bow. After that i started going through my wooden arrows and only hunt with the ones that will group with the 2117's.My heart is still in the wood and i hunt with them a lot but i will use a 2117 in a skinny minute if i'm in a hurry or its half-way through the season and i have been fortunate enough to have busted up a bunch of wood shooting critters.

Candor, My dad and brother both have shot deer with the old style wasp heads that had bullet points and razorblades held on with spring rings.I still have scars from putting them together,in later years my dad shot a few deer with satilites, wich are very similar to thunderheads. This was all done with a 50# Bear Gizzly recurve.

I'm trying some ash shafts now and they are heavy (not sure about grain weight). I agree, cedar is pretty and it smells good but I'd probably go back to alum before cedar. May try birch if the ash doesn't work out.

Rubberhead

Swipa, Are your ash shafts already cut to length? If not, leave them long and cut them back till they fly right. The ash shafts i have used needed to be a little bit under spined for my draw wieght to fly good. Ash shafts seem to be a little "rubbery" for lack of a better word, meaning they seem to bend easier than cedar but are not as brittle and will not break as easy. I have made and shot about four dozen ash arrows. They will bend but are easy to straighten. I don't know anything about birch. If you end up liking ash shoot me a PM, I have 600-700 shafts laying around the shop and me my kids and my grandchildren to come can't use that many shafts !!!