Thread: Field prep

Default Field prep

Who's getting the ground prepped and seed in the ground? I'm going to give the clearfields from the NWTF a try this year also. Anyone have any experience (results) with the NWTF seed?

We have started prepping but this rain sure hasn’t helped.
    Carolina Counsel

I planted saturday. I have never used the NWTF seed. But we usually plant half a bag and save the other half for next year. Always still had decent germination on year two. So i would think the nwtf seed should be good.

We got planted Sat before the rain.
    More fuel = more boost!!

I'm hoping to get most of it in the ground this weekend before the rain.

Not saying NWTF seed wouldn’t be good, but why not buy from someone like Southern States or Carolina Eastern. I buy my seed, fertilizer, and chemicals from Carolina Eastern. They also handle my soil samples and advise on fertilizer mixes and rates. I’m just a play farmer and appreciate the advice I get from professionals. Just don’t see you getting that from NWTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

With that said I burned down (sprayed) my field last week and hope to have corn in the ground either this weekend or next week. Plan to have my sunflowers in the ground by the first week in May. Running a little behind this year. Already had corn in the ground this time last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Not saying NWTF seed wouldn’t be good, but why not buy from someone like Southern States or Carolina Eastern. I buy my seed, fertilizer, and chemicals from Carolina Eastern. They also handle my soil samples and advise on fertilizer mixes and rates. I’m just a play farmer and appreciate the advice I get from professionals. Just don’t see you getting that from NWTF.
    He probably got it through NWTF because it is discounted under their subsidy program and he wanted to save some money since the Clearfield is so high. The seed is "surplus" and it's offered at a lower rate to members.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Exactly hosscat; one of our members got clear fields through NWTF for around $30 a bag vs $250 a bag. We figured we'd give them a try.
    Last edited by stgswampstomper; 04-19-2018 at 07:33 AM.

It's not like you will drop from a 90+% germination rate to 50%. If seed is cared for and stored properly, germination rates do not fall off in large percentages and will keep for years.

Sunflowers are oily, and the germination falls off a good bit more than Corn. We had mixed results with the NWTF Clearfields, and one field was bad enough that we decided the savings on the seed was NOT worth the cost of replanting, given the added expense of time, chemical, diesel, etc. Same thing with the RR corn - we had some that was not RR, and smoked a whole duck pond. That hurt my feelings, especially when all you can do is back up and punt with Millet.
    Last edited by Slaya; 04-19-2018 at 10:28 AM.