Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TN Reps have balls

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I always enjoy it when you share some Greenwood history on here.
    Dorn's son was our preacher for a while. Never heard that about the talbot family but if they are related to the guy that built the Rock House then they were definitely crazy
    Do you know why he built that house? He was lucky to be alive. He's the one that started that stink down in Phoenix/Callison area. Back then the Phoenix post office was the polling place for that area. On voting day (I forget the year) he was down there stirring up trouble. The story is that a black voter and a white voter got in a fight. Later Talbot talked the black guy into going and getting his gun. The guy did, came back and shot the white guy dead. When people found out they got a mob/posse up to get him. They chased him a long ways and even managed to put a bullet in him. He ran to his momma's house. This is where Dorn makes the statement about the power of a woman back then. When the mob got to Talbot's momma's house she stood on the porch hand on hips and told them to stop and go home. They did. Now this was a mob, a bunch of very mad men, but when they came up on a woman and mother they respected her enough to disperse.

Some years later the Talbot fellow involved built a house, it burned down. So did every house he moved into, 3 in total. So finally he built the rock house. I always thought it would be a lot easier just to move to some other area. But those people are weird.

If you know where the original home place and land is (where the bearded man) lived on Laurel the house was down near the bridge on the side of the hill. Even when he lived there the house was practically covered in kudzu. Anyway, the house beside the Talbot house at the top of the hill is where Tommy Corley lives. He's a machinist and I worked with him for 12 years at Capsugel. He's a few years older than me. He told me when he was a teenager something woke him up in the middle of the night one night. Said when he opened his eyes his room was lit up and then he heard what woke him, it was screaming. Him and his parents ran outside and Old Man Talbot's house was one big blaze (this was the nephew of the Rock House builder and many years later). He said his dad ran down to the house but there was no way he could do anything. Basically they stood there and listen to the screaming until Old Man Talbot was dead and the house burned down completely. I often wondered if someone from the old days held a grudge. It is ironic that he was burned alive when his uncle slipped away every time. He would have been the natural target because his uncle was never married and never had any kids. That would have left the Old Bearded Man as the next of kin to be born because he was older than his sister Margaret. I'm sure that's not what it was, but it does have possibilities as a thriller novel.

If you can find the book, it's an interesting read. Dorn talks about going from town to town in his district and giving stump speeches. I can't even remember the name of the book now, as far as I know it's the only one he wrote. Small book but for anyone who grew up around here or is interested in SC history it's a first hand account.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 04-19-2018 at 09:23 AM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    Do you know why he built that house? He was lucky to be alive. He's the one that started that stink down in Phoenix/Callison area. Back then the Phoenix post office was the polling place for that area. On voting day (I forget the year) he was down there stirring up trouble. The story is that a black voter and a white voter got in a fight. Later Talbot talked the black guy into going and getting his gun. The guy did, came back and shot the white guy dead. When people found out they got a mob/posse up to get him. They chased him a long ways and even managed to put a bullet in him. He ran to his momma's house. This is where Dorn makes the statement about the power of a woman back then. When the mob got to Talbot's momma's house she stood on the porch hand on hips and told them to stop and go home. They did. Now this was a mob, a bunch of very mad men, but when they came up on a woman and mother they respected her enough to disperse.

Some years later the Talbot fellow involved built a house, it burned down. So did every house he moved into, 3 in total. So finally he built the rock house. I always thought it would be a lot easier just to move to some other area. But those people are weird.

If you know where the original home place and land is (where the bearded man) lived on Laurel the house was down near the bridge on the side of the hill. Even when he lived there the house was practically covered in kudzu. Anyway, the house beside the Talbot house at the top of the hill is where Tommy Corley lives. He's a machinist and I worked with him for 12 years at Capsugel. He's a few years older than me. He told me when he was a teenager something woke him up in the middle of the night one night. Said when he opened his eyes his room was lit up and then he heard what woke him, it was screaming. Him and his parents ran outside and Old Man Talbot's house was one big blaze (this was the nephew of the Rock House builder and many years later). He said his dad ran down to the house but there was no way he could do anything. Basically they stood there and listen to the screaming until Old Man Talbot was dead and the house burned down completely. I often wondered if someone from the old days held a grudge. It is ironic that he was burned alive when his uncle slipped away every time. He would have been the natural target because his uncle was never married and never had any kids. That would have left the Old Bearded Man as the next of kin to be born because he was older than his sister Margaret. I'm sure that's not what it was, but it does have possibilities as a thriller novel.

If you can find the book, it's an interesting read. Dorn talks about going from town to town in his district and giving stump speeches. I can't even remember the name of the book now, as far as I know it's the only one he wrote. Small book but for anyone who grew up around here or is interested in SC history it's a first hand account.
    Merg, just saw this.
    I knew that he had built the house out of rock because of previous fires but did not know the rest of the story. I know some of the Dorns. Brian Dorns son was the preacher at our church for a while and I've been in the old Dorn Mansion on several occasions.
    As far as local history is concerned Have you ever read "The Guns of a meeting Street"?

It's all about the Logue and Timmerman feud that took place just down the road in edgefield. The store where the first shooting took place is right off 378 and the house where the big shootout on Sunday morning took place is still standing on the side of Gold Mine Rd.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...