Thread: 28g reloading.

Default 28g reloading.

So, I’m thinking of starting my boys off with 28g Ithaca pumps youth stocks...then get regular stocks when they grow. Of course, this will force me to get the nickle chrome version for myself👍😉. So, some serious dove shoots will turn seriously expensive in a hurry. Looking at reloaders...if I go this route, I’d love to be able to load some TSS for turkeys and for ducks for the boys. I’ll get into the advanced texts at some point, but if someone could give me some essential Cliff’s notes version advice on reloader type and model and discuss any specialty components/considerations necessary for loading both dove lead loads and turkey/duck tss loads...I will be very grateful.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Just got done looking at some reloading threads on various forums...I’m thinking cliff’s notes version will not do. This will get interesting and expensive no doubt.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 04-18-2018 at 12:31 PM.

look on ebay for a MEC. Then get Lymans 5th ed. manual.

Go to ballisticproducts.com and get:
    1. their small bore reloading manual
    2. their roll crimping package for 28 ga
    3. a bag or two of fiocchi primed hull
    4. A bag or two of HV-28 wads
    5. A pound of Lil Gun or Alliant Steel powder
    6. A scale

With the above you can roll everything from lead to no-tox loads for the mouse cannon without buying a press. (7/8 oz ITX 6s are the shit for decoying ducks and will roll up a pheasant)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

I reload for both 12 and 28 gauges. Used to crank the 12's out for about $2/box for shells equivalent to AA target loads. Use a MEC Grabber for each gauge to maintain consistency and sanity Ebay is a good place to look for a press. However, before starting down the path of spending any money, I'd highly recommend doing the math - if you don't have an economical source for shot, powder and primers, it may not make sense to reload (and we're not even considering the hulls). Fortunately, my local gun club allows members to order reloading components at distributor/dealer prices. My most recent order included: 8 lbs Clays powder for $128 (used to be $60), $125 for 5000 Win 209 primers, and $35 for 25 lbs. of magnum shot.

Thanks for the info!

If I was trying to save money, I wouldn't buy a 28 gauge. Even though I think 28 gauge would supplant the popularity of the 20 gauge if shells were priced comparably, 28 gauge shells are just too damn expensive.

When you amortize the savings of reloading, don't forget to factor in your time. With the value of your time accounted for, you may realize it's cheaper to find a place to buy loaded shells by the case.

If you just want another hobby, then you could reasonably subtract your time from the equation since you're loading for fun. It is a fun hobby, for a while, but it gets tedious when you try to load in bulk. It would surely be a good learning experience for your kids, so that alone might be justification for the entry costs. However, it would also be a good learning experience if your boys had to mow a few lawns to save up for a case of shells and then they'd be more motivated to make each shot count.

If you plan to reload, you might want to consider a break open gun so you're not having to crawl around in the weeds picking up hulls. At least look at a BPS so the hulls fall at your feet.

Just curious, why the 28 vs a 20 for your boys? You can easily craft loads for a 20 that are 3/4 oz or load it up to 16 ga levels if you need to. If you go with a 28, be certain the gun is built on a 28 frame. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a 20 ga gun sporting a 28 ga pipe. Most of those are not well balanced and are heavier than their 20 ga brethren.

As for loading the 28 ga itself, I would start with a MEC 600 Jr. Check fleabay or some other bulletin board classified sections for used ones. Recobs Target Shop and Graf’s are two online sources for materials. If you end up loading for the 28, WinAA hulls are the best and longest lasting. For heavier than 3/4 oz loads, Federal or Cheddite hulls may be a better choice due to larger internal volume. Buy supplies in bulk locally if you can, otherwise you will be forced to pay hazmat fees on primers and powder and shipping lead is not cheap. Get a good scale, a Lyman shotshell manual and have fun!