Thread: We Interrupt the Daily Dumpster Fire for a Positive Story

Default We Interrupt the Daily Dumpster Fire for a Positive Story

My wife, son, and I truly enjoy live music. From Pearl Jam to Jimmy Buffett, the experiences with friends and family enjoying pre-show festivities and music cannot be beaten. I have traveled more miles than I could ever count. Recently my wife and I traveled to New York to see Bruce Springsteen on Broadway. Now I was not a big Bruce fan before the show, but my wife was. So I went through their lottery system LAST year and finally during the third round in December, I won the right to buy some tickets with his third extension. The reserve about twenty tickets per show at the blue-collar rate of $75 plus fees and we were lucky enough to win those (by lucky I mean several hours of internet work over six months.) Then all I had to do was to stay off of Stub Hub until the show was over. BTW, Bruce on Broadway is in a 950 seat theater and the average face value ticket is $497. The average Stub Hub ticket for a weekend show is $2,500 and you can sell them on the street out front for more. I will not tell you that it is worth $2,500 since I drive a 14-year-old truck and am a state government employee, but it was a damn good show.

But I digress. My son turns 16 on May 1st and has become obsessed with two bands, The Eagles, and Metallica. So the plans were that my wife (to save money only one of us would go) was going to buy tickets and take my son this past Monday night to see The Eagles at The Colonial Center. She, being shocked at the ticket prices, failed to buy tickets. The prospect of her buying from a scalper before the show seemed sketchy to me, so I told her that I would take him, I mean who does not like the Eagles? I knew that being a weekday and the tickets sold so fast, that someone would have a few friends that backed out and would be selling tickets. So I made a sign for my son and one for me that we were looking for two tickets and committed to going early with the understanding that we might not be sitting together when the dust cleared. We walked through the normal see of seemingly capitalistic gentlemen that were confusingly looking to buy and sell tickets. I declined their offers and went to the front doors. Immediately someone came to me and said that a couple was selling tickets just to my right. I went and sure enough, they had a couple of floor tickets for sale at face value ~$400. Did I mention it was cold and windy as hell? Anyway, they declined my ridiculous counter offer and just as I was finishing up my shrewed negotiation, my son, standing about twenty feet away, shouts, "Hey dad I just got tickets!" Confused and seeing a mother and her daughter close but walking away, I asked him where he got them, knowing he had only about $20 with him, he said: "they just gave them to me for FREE." So I stopped the woman and her daughter and asked if it was true and offered to pay for them. She refused only saying that they had just upgraded their seats "at a great price" so they did not need them anyway, and "because it's his birthday."

We exchanged hugs, thanked them profusely, and still stunned walked into the arena. All told, we had spent exactly 60 seconds getting tickets to a sold-out show (actually The Colonial Center open up the box office to sell obstructed view tickets for $49.50 the day of, which were behind the front of the stage and behind the LED video wall.) So I thought I would post the happy lad with his sign and free tickets. So, now there is officially a good story for a change. MG

IMG_3006.JPG
    Dum Spiro Spero

He's ruined. I can see that poster now for numbers 18 & 21!!!

There is still plenty of good left in the world, it is just a little tougher to find some days. Congratulations on a great night with your son.

Sounds like a great night you will both remember forever. Glad yall had a great time.

That's awesome man!!!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Good deal!

Very nice gesture.

I wanted to go to that show. I kept dragging my feet on buying tickets, while I was waiting to hear back from my buddies on who all wanted to go. But had military duty this past weekend and forgot all about it in the shuffle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Awesome!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Thought I'd check on some Blake Shelton tix a couple months ago. Holy moly at the sticker shock.

That is a great story, and great memories for the two of you!
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

good stuff!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.