Thread: fire v. chromecast v roku

Default fire v. chromecast v roku

My old Roku crapped out and they no longer offer service because it's so old. What device do you use to make a dumb TV into a smart TV? Do you like it?

My old Roku didn't have an internet browser. Is that an option on any of the new devices?

We have the firestick, haven’t had the others so can’t compare, but I like it. Especially the waypoint TV app. Endless fishing shows and decent hunting shows.
    Last edited by Cwaysvt; 04-18-2018 at 12:09 PM.

I'd skip the "stick-type" devices and go with something more like this. It's nearly as good as plugging your TV up to a PC.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F292443431087

I've had one running a while now and couldn't be more pleased.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

I'm bout to buy a Roku device solely because it's the only one I can seem to find that I can load the Spectrum TV app on. Even though I'm an employee and get 2 free boxes I have 4 tv's I want the ability to watch tv on. And with analog tv going away in a week, it's forcing my hand at either renting 2 more converters from my employer, or just buying 2 Roku's @ $40/each. Should pay for themselves in a few months.

Unfortunately, the Amazon fire box we already have is not compatible with the Spectrum TV app.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 05-12-2018 at 05:48 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Buy the H96 Pro+ and install the Spectum app.

Or, on your Firebox, install "downloader", install it, then directly download the spectum TV apk and then install.

If done this way, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

The app is available through Google Play. So...it word work on the H96 box.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

I saw where it's available in Google play, but it specifically says that Amazon Kindle is compatible, but Fire TV is not. I'm assuming it's cause Amazon wanted it that way. They want you watching their content I guess.

But I feel confident your work around would do just fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 05-13-2018 at 05:07 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Yes Amazon offers limited Android apps. For example no Google apps since that is their competition. Hence no YouTube or YouTube tv.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Yes Amazon offers limited Android apps. For example no Google apps since that is their competition. Hence no YouTube or YouTube tv.
    On the Firestick you just use the FireFox browser to watch YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba View Post
    On the Firestick you just use the FireFox browser to watch YouTube.
    Thanks. I'm familiar with the work around. Same for YouTube tv. Not a big deal for me but it would be nice if I could get the YouTube kids app.

Personally, I've used both Roku and Firestick. Firestick is much better for my needs. As for me, it's more user friendly. Roku is outdated. I just installed some great Kodi builds from https://www.firestickhow.com/best-kodi-builds.html on my Firestick that make it even more user friendly and couldn't be any happier. Works perfectly for me.
    Last edited by davidbarker; 03-27-2019 at 05:08 AM.