Thread: Smoked. Blackfin

Default Smoked. Blackfin

I am gonna smoke some blackfin this week and tips would be appreciated. Do any of y’all have a Brine recipe you would not mind sharing
    For nothing will be impossible with CHRIST Luke 1:37

If you cook a piece of tuna anything other than rare you might as well throw it in the trash.

Not sure if I'm going against the rules but check out smokingmeatforums.com. Hell of a website. You can probably find a brine on there. You can cold smoke the fish to get the smoke flavor without it ever getting past rare.

Blackfin doesn’t freeze well

Smoked blackfin is a perfectly acceptable way to dispose of fresh blackfin. I have always gone 2:1 brown sugar to salt when making a brine (mix in warm water so it dissolves easier). Add a splash of soy or lemon juice if your feeling crazy. Let brine 24 hours then set on your smoker racks for at least a hour prior to putting heat on it. Smoke with non-nut woods for best results.
    Last edited by Canoegunner; 04-16-2018 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoegunner View Post
    Smoked blackfin is a perfectly acceptable way to dispose of fresh blackfin. I have always gone 2:1 brown sugar to salt when making a brine (mix in warm water so it dissolves easier). Add a splash of soy or lemon juice if your feeling crazy. Let brine 24 hours then set on your smoker racks for at least a hour prior to putting heat on it. Smoke with non-nut woods for best results.
    Good advice. You could bump the sugar to salt ratio up even higher and still be fine. Both sugar and salt act as a “cure”.

Pro tip: Canning and Pickling salt dissolves easily in cool water. Available in most grocery stores.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

thanks guys

Better off making tuna salad, than smoking it. Freezing blackfin makes for great crawfish bait! Ask ole boy that lives down by low falls, he will tell ya!
    "run and gun guide service"

Blackfin Tacos!