Thread: Islamorada or Venice?

Default Islamorada or Venice?

My bossman/good friend is wanting me to coordinate a fishing trip to Islamorada. We went to Venice in 2016, and it was the greatest fishing trip of my life. For those of you who've been to Islamorada (or Islamorada AND Venice), where would you rather go? Any charter recommendations? Wanna do at least a day inshore and at least a day off. Thanks in advance.

I have been to Venice and think about that place every day. Islamorada is on my list. I want to take a trip with Nick Stanzyk. (Spelling?) If I went back to Venice and only had two days to fish I want both of them to be offshore.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

What time of year? That will change the recommendation.

Both are great trips. It really just depends on what you want to fish for.

Never been to Venice but i go to Islamorada once a year and i always have a great time. If your heading to that area let me know i know a few captains in the area that will put you on some fish. That being said, i like to go september/october or feb/march cause the tuna fishing is good then.

Its like this everywhere but there are definitley alot of windy choppy days in the keys so that something to keep in mind when plannign

I prefer the Keys. Depends on the time of year of course.

Inshore at Venice means Reds and Trout. Inshore in the Keys means Tarpon, Bonefish and Permit, Snapper for the table are a bonus..

Offshore , the nod goes to Venice. Big yeller bastards, BFT, Maybe a Wahoo or a Mahi. We fish with Capt Mike Ellis on the Relentless. Lots of great skippers and boats in Venice. Short boat ride to the fishing. www.relentlesssportfishing.net

In the Keys, you can find all the charter boats you can want at Bud and Mary's. The Stanczyk's have always done right by us. They have the offshore dialed in and are on the Swordfish ... Sailfish are still an opportunity.

For inshore, I fish with Capt Ted Wilson and Dale Perez.. both will put you fish in the flats. Perez specializes in Permit.

Nightlife in the Keys is safer. I don't enjoy New Orleans much anymore.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Good stuff, y'all. I think Islamorada would be cool, because of the proximity to world-class inshore and offshore fishing, and the potential to mark a few more species off the list. However, as y'all know, these trips ain't cheap, so it'd be nice to bring home some meat. In that regard, I'm guessing Venice is unmatched?

And SCdiver, I'm anticipating the trip would be within the next 2-3 months.

If you are heading offshore in Islamorada, contact Capt. Ross Early, Early Bird Charters. Have no clue about inshore and have never been to Venice

Are you going with family or friends for fishing?

This package deal with james chappell (who is one of the captains I would reccomend for offshore out of Islamorada) is good for going with friends or family. When i go down with a main focus on fishing alot, we do this package and add a day of fishing. Comes out to like 1200$ each fishing and lodging. If you ask me you cant beat that for a week of vacation and 4 full days fishing.

It says gratuity included in that price, but we always tip some cash extra.

https://catchalottafish.com/islamora...charter-deals/

The best time for huge YFT in Venice is Sept- October. It's not Africa hot and the gulf is usually flat seas.. However, there are always tuna at Venice. 70-100 lbers will give you all you want on suitable tackle. Ellis charges $1700 for a full day, plus fuel - $400-$500 is a safe number.

In the summer, there will be plenty of Dolphin/Mahi to catch and bring home from the Keys. Maybe some BFT also. If you get on the right boat out of Bud and Mary's , you can try for a Swordfish and then go troll for other species. It's your charter.

Either place will surely provide a great time. One thing for sure, Venice is a great destination - we stay at Fin and Feathers Cabins. Cheap, clean and all the amenities you need if you want to cook some of your fish for supper. They cater to fishermen..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I just got back from Marathon and in case anyone is wondering, most of the keys are cleaned up and open for business. We passed Bud & Marys and they were hopping. I've never been to Venice but you can be in some deep water really fast in the keys which makes for a relaxing day.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

From Venice it's about an hour to the oil rigs and shrimping lanes.. 12 miles from the mouth of the MS River .. It's a unique fishery in that the tuna are most often caught sight fishing behind the shrimp boats. You can see the tuna crashing bycatch - pretty exciting fishing. When a giant YFT crashes topwater, it gets your attention.

There are times that you have opportunity to catch a Marlin also- we haven't done that, but it happens. Great places both of them. From SC, I would say the logistics of getting to the Keys may be a little easier.. I have flown and drove to Venice and driving there sucks. Flying hundreds of pounds of tuna home is spendy..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

We have only had to run 50+ miles out to the Midnight Lump once, and when we did it was amazing to see school after school of giant YFT on top crashing bait.. that is a memory I will cherish
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Done both, if you wanna catch fish then go to Louisiana. If you wanna vacation and get out on the water, go to the keys.

Been to both...Depends on what you are looking for...if fishing is the main focus Venice hands down, no matter the time of year. If you are looking for nightlife and entertainment with a couple of fishing trips, Then head to the Keys.

Don't take wives to Venice....

Quote Originally Posted by holdin down the fort View Post
    Done both, if you wanna catch fish then go to Louisiana. If you wanna vacation and get out on the water, go to the keys.
    Much better said....

Ross is good people.

Done both trips... Venice for straight fishing meat haul. Islamorado is setting matters at all

Quote Originally Posted by baydog View Post
    If you are heading offshore in Islamorada, contact Capt. Ross Early, Early Bird Charters. Have no clue about inshore and have never been to Venice

Quote Originally Posted by holdin down the fort View Post
    My brother is flying back from Guatamala as I type if you want to catch fish. They went crazy like 54 hook ups and a shit load of dolphin in 2 days of fishing. http://www.casaviejalodge.com/the-lodge/
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    My brother is flying back from Guatamala as I type if you want to catch fish. They went crazy like 54 hook ups and a shit load of dolphin in 2 days of fishing. http://www.casaviejalodge.com/the-lodge/
    Guatemala's definitely on the list. As are Panama and Costa Rica. Is he bringing all that meat back on the plane with him?

And for those who've asked, this is a FISHING trip. The "night life" days are far behind me, so clubs and all that crap hold no appeal. Tight lines and bent rods are the objective.

Not sure about the meat but the nightlife you ain't got to worry about he said. Just fishing. They stayed on the billfish. Mostly Pacific Sails
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"