Thread: Fried tv

Default Fried tv

Looks like lightning got the tv over the weekend. Internet modem was down when I got back home. Some of Thomas's peeps got that fixed. But I just noticed that the tv wont turn on. Fire TV was plugged up into router and then HDMI to the tv. All three are dead. So I'm guessing it ran through them all.

No lights or anything from the tv. Anything worth trying or just haul it off and buy a new one for a quarter of what I paid for this one?

Assuming there is no magic bullet, what brands should I look at?

Cheap enough to buy new. Samsung is about as good as it gets as far as TV's go.

I have a LG and it is badass. You can literally search for months on what TV to get.

Go to whatever store you like the most and ask the nerdiest looking fella you can find. Tell him what you want to use the TV for and your budget and he will tell you what to get.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Samsung all day every day and I hear those stupid surge protectors don't help much either, thats at least what the electric guy told me.

My aunt the last 3 storms has had a TV, cable/internet components and freezer fried during a lighting strike.

Lost 3 Samsung’s today as well. Red light is on but won’t turn on. All other things dead as well firestick,router ect. Blew the bark off pine tree 50 yards away.

My eyesight isn't perfect so my TV doesn't have to be.. I have a few different kinds, and honestly I can't tell them apart. I mean I think like a shade over two hundred bucks and you can get about all I need.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_11 View Post
    Samsung all day every day and I hear those stupid surge protectors don't help much either, thats at least what the electric guy told me.

My aunt the last 3 storms has had a TV, cable/internet components and freezer fried during a lighting strike.
    I can attest to the fact that a surge protector works. I saw a bolt hit the power line at the back of the farm a few years ago. Shortly after there was a loud pop behind the tv in the living room and a charred smell. The surge protector was shot, but everything plugged in was fine. The key is you have to get a true surge protector, not just an adapter.

In my case the lightning usually gets the telephone/dsl line. I won't have the new tv hard wired to the modem.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    My eyesight isn't perfect so my TV doesn't have to be.. I have a few different kinds, and honestly I can't tell them apart. I mean I think like a shade over two hundred bucks and you can get about all I need.
    This tv was 8 or 9 years old. I was shocked when I saw what you can get for a few hundred bucks these days.

KRT could probably fix it. Run it by his shop

Sony and Samsung have been my "go to" TV brands for years. Sony usually had the best sound and Samsung the best picture.
    I changed it up and bought this tv at a much lower price point a 3-4 months ago and have been very happy with it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I replaced it with the Toshiba fire TV. It's 4k and has the Amazon fire TV built into it. It even added dvr capabilities to my local channels on antenna. So far I've been very happy with it.

Samsung burned me once years ago when the TV died just a little under two years old. Pledged allegiance to Vizeo ever since, they haven't let me down yet

I have fixed a few with some parts from Radio Shack and You Tube Videos. It was just diagnosing the damaged resistor, or capacitor on the mother board, removing it, and sodering a new one in place. Not sure if it is worth the headache are trying to find a Radio Shack as the TVs are all pretty cheap now.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what they had to teach; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN

Nobody under the age of 35 knows what Radio Shack is or was.

probably the capacitor on the power supply. Cheap $2 dollar fix.
    "run and gun guide service"