Thread: Another Great One Passes

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Another Great One Passes

Pat McManus passed away at 84. If you read Outdoor Life growing up you read Pat's funny articles. I looked forward to reading those more than the other articles.

He wrote some funny books about hunting and fishing too.

‘Departure Of A Legend’–NW Outdoor Humorist Patrick McManus Passes Away
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

No question about it, he was a legend. His articles were always good for a few laughs.

Godspeed, Mr. McManus...
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

One of a very few authors that could regularly make me laugh out loud. I laughed so hard I cried at the Fourth of July firecracker story, with grandpa clearing the fence ahead of everyone else - in his wheelchair.

Kioti will not like this

What a loss. I have all his books several of which are signed, with a personal note. I read from them often and even though I know what is about to happen I still laugh.
    Home Of :

HRCH HR SHR Sunstar's Gigi The Boss's Daughter MH

Sunstar's Lookout 4 Miz Azie
    Sunstar's The Pro-Zak Attack

WWW.sunstarsduckdogs.com

Just a follow up. My wife and I promoted a sport show in Greenville back in the 90's and spoke with him on several occasions. To speak with him by phone you would never think he was a writer of humor. We were trying to convince him to come here and be a speaker at the show. One problem, he said he never flew. He would have been a blast to hear I'm sure.
    Home Of :

HRCH HR SHR Sunstar's Gigi The Boss's Daughter MH

Sunstar's Lookout 4 Miz Azie
    Sunstar's The Pro-Zak Attack

WWW.sunstarsduckdogs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Kioti will not like this
    You are right, saw it this morning. I used to literally have tears running down my face reading his stories. My wife likes for me to try to read them aloud because she knows I can't make it through it. Seems like another part of my youth has passed.

The Charleston newspaper actually had a good article in todays paper about his passing and his career. Many of us spent many years reading his column and books- he was a great storyteller and invented many colorful characters, especially Rancid Crabtree

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    Seems like another part of my youth has passed.
    Me too...he and Gene Hill.
    Last edited by Rubberhead*; 04-15-2018 at 03:35 PM.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Some funny stories in there. I don't have all of them but still quite a few. So many good memories- I used to read them out loud while on lunch breaks between morning and afternoon deerhunts w my dad. I've laughed so hard I cried many times on those stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

I used to wait on the porch for the mailman to bring my OL every month just for PFM's column. A great American.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Gene Hill was great also. He could be funny but he could also be tear jerking serious at times.

For a fellow that grew up in NJ, got drafted and served in the Korean War and was Harvard educated...he got "it."
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 04-15-2018 at 06:26 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I know we all pass but just daggumit, there is no one to replace these types, not now at least and certainly it doesn't look like such moving forward.
    Genesis 9;2

My oldest son just finished reading "they shoot canoes, don't they" by pat. My folks gave me that book a good many years ago.

And I agree strick9
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

An era is gone and will be greatly missed! A giant loss!!!!
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

McManus wrote some real good stuff and should be considered an American Treasure.
    I used to read his stories aloud at deer camp or family gatherings and could barely get thru them because I was laughing so hard. I can't think of another author that I ever felt inclined to read out loud to a group other than Pat's stories.
    RIP Mr. McManus.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I'm sure I've read some of his stuff because I definitely know the name. I'll have to check him out.

An American treasure for sure. I have most of his books and find myself revisiting them occasionally with a sense of nostalgia for the "good" old days. Reminds me so much of my youth. Should be required reading for every young boy in our school system today.