Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Level/lift issues....

Default Level/lift issues....

So I've heard mixed results on this. I'm not sure if I'm experiencing issues because of who I took the truck to get the work done, or just issues from the lift itself... I have a 2015 Silverado, and installed a 2.5 inch RC level/lift kit. Some say that it puts terrible strain on your suspension, others say they have 50,000+ miles with it and not a single problem.

Well, its only been on 2 weeks and it has been nothing but problems for me, naturally. The first issue was not the kits fault, for certain. I'll spare the details, but it ended up being that the upper ball joint was never properly torqued and it came out after driving for 1 day.

Fast forward 10 days. I finally get the truck back. I am absolutely terrified and have some mild PTSD from the ball join issue, so every time I get out of the truck after a drive, I crawl up underneath and inspect all of my suspension connections. WELLLLL, tunnel vision, I THINK is my down fall... It turns out, that the spacer that goes between the A-arm and the shock was installed backwards, and the spacer is literally almost touching my CV. The boot on the knuckle end is split at one of the bellows closest to the spacer, and I believe that after bouncing around in the gov't woods all day today, the spacer smacking and rubbing against the boot caused it to split. Now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if its possible that the CV shaft itself could have got smacked by the spacer too...

I've read that the angles of the CV being changed could cause the boot to tear, but I've also read that others have been driving for years with no issues.

In this case since I've already had issues, I'm 99.99% positive that the spacer caused the the boot to split. What do yall think?

Bringing it back to the service department at the crack of dawn... again...
    Psalm 23

levellift.jpg

This is the spacer, shown in blue. It is meant to be installed oriented as shown. Now picture it upside down, and installed reverse with the lip facing in towards the wheels, rather than towards the differential. It is very, VERY close to my CV's. I'm positive that this is what cause the boot to split, it bouncing around and hitting the boot. However in researching about the level kits, I've read that some guys are constantly having boots split, and I guess I'm just asking what are your opinions on it?

*Edit: just went outside and checked the clearance... I think the spacer is still too far to actually hit the shaft, but it is basically touching the boot with the wheels straight.
    Last edited by Scruggz; 04-13-2018 at 10:59 PM.
    Psalm 23

Have them installed on my 2010 Chevrolet.. Put em in, had it aligned, no problems in 40k
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

I’ve installed hundreds of that exact same kit with no problems ever...
    More fuel = more boost!!

Also hate to ruin any theories you have but the upper ball joint or control arm shouldn’t have been loosened to install that kit. In fact the lower either. You knock the strut loose, sway bar links and slide the spacer in then tighten the strut and sway bar links back.

Almost ALL leveling kits change the geometry of the front axles on independent front suspension trucks. Again I said almost. You could look at putting the spacer on top of the coil over or got actual lifted new coil overs for the front but again they would change the angles of the axles... maybe not as bad and more money.

At the end of the day the truck wasn’t designed for these kits and you’re altering the suspension. But like I stated, I’ve installed hundreds with no issues.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Put the 2" kit on wifey's Yukon last week. So far, she says she's noticed pretty-much no difference in ride quality. Hopefully, it'll stay that way.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Also hate to ruin any theories you have but the upper ball joint or control arm shouldn’t have been loosened to install that kit. In fact the lower either. You knock the strut loose, sway bar links and slide the spacer in then tighten the strut and sway bar links back.

Almost ALL leveling kits change the geometry of the front axles on independent front suspension trucks. Again I said almost. You could look at putting the spacer on top of the coil over or got actual lifted new coil overs for the front but again they would change the angles of the axles... maybe not as bad and more money.

At the end of the day the truck wasn’t designed for these kits and you’re altering the suspension. But like I stated, I’ve installed hundreds with no issues.
    Well, if you can install that kit without loosening the upper ball joint nut like you said, that would be a better way to go. But the instructions for this lift from RC say to loosen the upper ball joint nut... And thats what they did. Click the link below and click "installation info" and it will tell you.

http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-level...t-1305-10.html

Thanks for yalls input. I didnt think that split boots were a normal ooccurrence for these lifts, and all evidence points to it being the backwards spacer hitting the boot.
    Psalm 23

We install them just like I said. Knock the sway bar links loose, take bolts out lower strut assembly. Maybe having it on a lift helps.
    More fuel = more boost!!

If the boot is rubbing the spacer, that would be a good place to start.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Just damn.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Colin4 View Post
    Just damn.

We are talking about me here. Would you expect any less?
    Psalm 23

I'd blame the sick cat. Should have let me put it down. At least your tires haven't exploded yet. That's the upside

Theres still time. Ive only had them on for 100 miles.
    Psalm 23

I’ve been looking at leveling my Tundra. There are so many different ones I don’t know which one is best. Anyone have an idea which ones are best. Hate it for ya Scruggz. Hope I don’t get into the same mess.
    Last edited by whitty; 04-14-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    I’ve been looking at leveling my Tundra. Hate it for ya Scruggz. Hope I don’t get into the same mess.
    Sounds like you need to let KRT take care of it for you.

Trucks are designed to be higher in the rear to carry a load level- just add dirt if you want to level your truck- leveled trucks are for posers

I’ve been looking at leveling my Tundra. There are so many different ones I don’t know which one is best. Anyone have an idea which ones are best. Hate it for ya Scruggz. Hope I don’t get into the same mess.
    I would do your research on where to get the lift installed. Also i probably wouldnt get tge spacer leveling kit again. I would spend a little more and get some Bilstein 5100s or the like.

My truck does sit pretty with this level though...
    Psalm 23

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Sounds like you need to let KRT take care of it for you.
    I wish he was closer and I would.

I wish he was closer and I would.
    Kevin is worth the drive- or just add dirt

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Kevin is worth the drive- or just add dirt
    Thank you.
    More fuel = more boost!!