Thread: Lace up

Default Lace up

I normally wear Chippewa's. They've worked well for me for about ten years now and I did not think I'd change.

Now I have a giant ass metal contraption on my knee because of a bad knee injury in February. I could go without the brace as I'm already going to get surgery but was just wondering if anyone had anything right off they would recommend in the lace up section of snake boots.

Is there a decent pair of lace ups that will last a summer that are somewhat waterproof? The issue at hand is fitting the Chippewa's over the knee brace. FWIW I have a pair of Dan's chaps but the brace and the chaps together is not a good woods walkin' combo...

TIA.
    Last edited by smitch320; 04-11-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

How much longer are you in a brace? Might want to consider gaiters.

Also- sorry to hear about the knee, I'm right there with you.
    Last edited by murraywader; 04-11-2018 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    How much longer are you in a brace? Might want to consider gaiters.

Also- sorry to hear about the knee, I'm right there with you.
    Trying to get surgery before class starts back in August, but after my internship.

acl, mcl, lateral and medial meniscus.

Hurt like hell for a few days then I just kept doing my thing. I can move around and stuff fine, just trying to get my ducks in a row!
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Sorry to hear about the knee. I've had both worked on, but neither was in as bad a condition as it sounds like yours is in.

As for lace-up snake boots, I've had good luck with my Danner Pronghorns, including staying waterproof. But I haven't given them the kind of daily test you will. Check with GBelly. He used to virtually live in his and swore by them, but I don't know if he still wears the Pronghorns or not.

One note to bear in mind, IMO, is that the weight of the Pronghorns might be hard on your knee and you might want to study the lighterweight models out now. You might go through an extra pair, but it could be worth it.

Do a search on this forum. There are a couple of threads on snake boots over the past few years that have some good info in them.

Good luck.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Snakeboots suck. All of them suck. SOme suck less than others but they all suck. I put a lot of miles on snakeboots each spring, and I like Danner. I wore the pronghorns for years until they reintroduced the Jackal. They are very very light and seem to hold up pretty good. I am on my 2nd season in these and they are about as good as snakeboots can be.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Pronghorns all the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Danner Sharptail is the most comfortable snake boot I've tried

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Snakeboots suck. All of them suck. SOme suck less than others but they all suck. I put a lot of miles on snakeboots each spring, and I like Danner. I wore the pronghorns for years until they reintroduced the Jackal. They are very very light and seem to hold up pretty good. I am on my 2nd season in these and they are about as good as snakeboots can be.
    X2.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Sorry to hear about the knee. I've had both worked on, but neither was in as bad a condition as it sounds like yours is in.

As for lace-up snake boots, I've had good luck with my Danner Pronghorns, including staying waterproof. But I haven't given them the kind of daily test you will. Check with GBelly. He used to virtually live in his and swore by them, but I don't know if he still wears the Pronghorns or not.

One note to bear in mind, IMO, is that the weight of the Pronghorns might be hard on your knee and you might want to study the lighterweight models out now. You might go through an extra pair, but it could be worth it.

Do a search on this forum. There are a couple of threads on snake boots over the past few years that have some good info in them.

Good luck.
    Thanks, believe it or not, my knee doesn't hurt at all. I just figure I bought the damn brace, I might as well wear it haha. I quickly may realize I am not going to wear it while at work, and just sport some new snake boots!

Thanks for the info. I wear Danner sharptails regularly so I might give the pronghorn snake boots a look.

Thanks everyone, I am going to try some on and see what fits the best.

I've heard some real good reviews on the Jackal II, but make sure you're looking at the II model, which has also been discontinued. The original Jackal model had problems with the ankle area breaking down and it was apparently redesigned in the II model. A Danner CR could tell you more.

The Sharptails are nice, and have a new pair sitting here, but haven't decided on whether they fit the way I want them to before I wear them outdoors. Might sell them and keep my older Pronghorns.

The new Pronghorns have a zipper up the inside, although Danner was getting complaints about the zippers breaking. I don't know if they've been changed since I talked to them last year when I picked up these Sharptails.

The Jackal II's are definitely the lightest weight model, if that helps.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 04-12-2018 at 08:07 PM.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I've heard some real good reviews on the Jackal II, but make sure you're looking at the II model, which has also been discontinued. The original Jackal model had problems with the ankle area breaking down and it was apparently redesigned in the II model. A Danner CR could tell you more.

The Sharptails are nice, and have a new pair sitting here, but haven't decided on whether they fit the way I want them to before I wear them outdoors. Might sell them and keep my older Pronghorns.

The new Pronghorns have a zipper up the inside, although Danner was getting complaints about the zippers breaking. I don't know if they've been changed since I talked to them last year when I picked up these Sharptails.

The Jackal II's are definitely the lightest weight model, if that helps.
    Thanks for the good info. After a quick search I noticed that the only snake boots they have now are Sharptails and Pronghorns. Im not sure the zipper would accommodate this brace.

Good chance I say screw it, and don't wear the brace. The damage is done, so I will figure something out...

Edited to add: Only snake boots on their website currently.
    Last edited by smitch320; 04-12-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    Thanks for the good info. After a quick search I noticed that the only snake boots they have now are Sharptails and Pronghorns. Im not sure the zipper would accommodate this brace.

Good chance I say screw it, and don't wear the brace. The damage is done, so I will figure something out...

Edited to add: Only snake boots on their website currently.
    You don't have to use the zipper. They lace up like normal and then use the zipper for ease of use...or not.

You may want to talk to your Orthopedist about how much extra damage you could by not wearing the brace before you decide. Just sayin' since I tore additional miniscus while awaiting surgery and not using a brace. Whether it still would have happened with a brace is unknown.

Another point... If you walk in rough areas, the Jackall II sole is like a sneaker and is easily punctured, according to the reviews.
    ~ George Washington