Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog food

Pure being chicken and rice from Aldi.

Pumpkin puree, buttermilk, boiled chicken and plain white rice...it's hard for a dog not to eat that and will be easy on their guts.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Gravy Train and Ol' Roy....

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    If he's been sick the last couple of days I don't think I would blame it on the food he's been eating for a while. Especially if he isn't drinking.

Feed him some rice and cottage cheese if you want something bland on his stomach. And Gatorade.

But I'd spend $45 at the vet before I bought some fancy food made out of organic fed buffalo ass.
    He hasn't been keen on eating Purina for some time now. I wonder if there was something wrong with the food and that's why he hasn't been eating...and maybe that's why he got sick? I don't know...

I look at the shit my dogs eat on their own and wonder why we worry about what we feed them. Literally every dead animal they find in the woods comes to my yard for thorough picking through(rabbits, deer, coons, armadillos, coyotes, birds, etc). Corn from the dove field daily in the fall. A corn pile on our place is not safe from the dogs. Soybeans in the hull must be tasty to them. Seriously they are like garbage disposals except they throw everything down their throats not me. Their coats look great when you can keep them from swimming and rolling in mud and burrowing holes in the flower beds. They are quite happy with life. In short they were bred to digest anything and everything, the ones that don't or won't, weren't meant to make it.
    cut\'em

Victor and/or Pro plan Performance. I order from Chewy, and they have been Great. I used to get the pro plan from petco/petsmart but twice it bugs in it. Purina did make good on it even though it was actually more of the distributors fault. My older dogs who no longer train are eating Kirkland from Costco.

My mom had 2 labs with same symptoms and ultimate liver failure; vet thought it was poisoning. One got sick 1 year, the next got sick and died the year after. Both were 5-6 yrs old. She fed purina
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...uit/index.html

I feed diamond naturals, I'm not paying $45-50 for victor.
    Last edited by stgswampstomper; 04-10-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stgswampstomper View Post
    My mom had 2 labs with same symptoms and ultimate liver failure; vet thought it was poisoning. One got sick 1 year, the next got sick and died the year after. Both were 5-6 yrs old. She fed purina

Another good food for the money, Diamond Naturals that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by stgswampstomper View Post

Diamond has killed the hell out of some dogs with contaminated foods. I'm not saying they are the worst, but for a smaller dog food company, they have had alot of issues over the years.

Feed em whatever you want. I just thought it was interesting you blame Purina, but then brag on Diamond.

taste of the wild, through chewy.com. free shipping. set the auto ship date and forget about it... shows up every 3 weeks at my door.

Unfortunately they've all had their issues. We just know Diamond well because they're in our backyard and we all know someone who was effected by it. Blue, Purina, Pedigree, etc. have all had issues with causing dogs to become ill or even die.

Talk to your vet or go to a small locally owned pet food shop and talk to the folks who run it and know the food. I also suggest Dog Food Advisor in helping finding a new food. It's a unbiased source of info on your dog's food and gives a rating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

UGA- check your comprehension on bragging. I'm not bragging on diamond; I'm saying that's what I feed and have fed for 5-6 yrs previously to deer dogs, and now bird dogs without an issue. Purina obviously didn't work for us. Again, I'm not paying $45-50 for victor.

Different dogs do well on different foods. Pro plan is a good food, and Purina does more to support sporting dogs than most of the other companies combined. Victor is a good food, and comes in a real 40 lb bag. I'm not feeding a kennel full of dogs, so I don't mind a couple extra bucks for my working dogs that do better on a performance food. Like I said my old dogs have been eating Kirkland from Costco, which could be from diamond, and they do well on it. Lots of dogs do just fine on lots of different foods. Allergies, digestive issues, and energy level are some things I am concerned with. Fortunately food allergies hasn't been an issue.

Wellness.