Thread: Chinese Guitar

Default Chinese Guitar

Back in the mid-1980's I bought a mid-range Ovation acoustic/electric 6-string (Customer Balladeer). I think it cost me $350. It has the original Ovation deep round back, round sound hole and didn't have a cutaway. It did have Ovation's built-in pick-up and pre-amp. At the time Ovation had just introduced a shallow body guitar (designed by Glen Campbell) with asymmetric sound holes and a cutaway that I really, really liked but it was a $1,200 guitar in 1980 dollars - completely out of reach especially for a bedroom guitarist. The print ad for the shallow bowl beauty had Al Dimeiola with his hand in the cutaway of the new guitar and said "Reach for it"...I really wanted that guitar.

Not long after that I grew up, got married, had kids and sold my 12-string, solid body electric and Peavey amp just to unclutter the house but I kept the Ovation for therapy.

2018: The old American-made Ovation is as nice as it was when it was made other than the frets being worn down a bit from the years of supporting me after a bad day. I hadn't plugged her in in 20 years so I bought a Fender acoustic amp, put on new strings and changed the battery in the preamp - everything still works. I bought a looper and a harmonizer/octave pedal so I could do some over dubbing. At the Guitar Center I saw a shallow body elite Ovation hanging at the highest spot on the wall to keep it out of reach of browsers and asked how much...$449...really?...yep, they're made in China now...how do they sound?...really good and play well too - if you wait a week we're going to have a $100 off sale on guitars that are more than $500 so you can get the upgraded version with a maple top for the same $449...

I waited a week...

Okay, it's made in China but it is as well crafted as my American made Ovation and actually plays better. The sound is different because of the slim body but it's not bad - just different - "brighter" I'd say. Plugged in, it sounds better than the old Ovation. I did tweak the truss rod adjustment (about 1/8 turn) and take out the smallest shim so the strings hover closely and evenly over the finger board. It is so easy to play.

I had a problem with the original pick-up. They sent two replacement pick-ups with bridges and extra shims. I had it installed in less than 20 minutes.

I think the Guitar Center sale is over for now but if you've been thinking about getting a guitar or buying one for a kid it's a good place to start looking.

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Oh, and the preamp now includes a three-band equalizer, a built-in tuner and the battery is accessible from the outside.

Trade for a Rexcraft bugle?

built in tuner is nice. I just had my Martin's pre amp replaced with one.

I want a d28 martin bad. Just cant come off the dough
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I want a d28 martin bad. Just cant come off the dough
    Makes two of us

Ovations are just uncomfortable to hold for me. The curved back wants to slide down the whole time I'm playing it. I always thought a lot of woman played Ovations because the way the back was shaped.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    Ovations are just uncomfortable to hold for me. The curved back wants to slide down the whole time I'm playing it. I always thought a lot of woman played Ovations because the way the back was shaped.
    This one can sure play one.
    nancy w 1.png
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I've always felt the same way.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    This one can sure play one.
    nancy w 1.png
    Is that Nancy? Back in the day?
    I had an ovation that was a blast to play. Mine had a sound hole though. Rounded back. Still have it somewhere. I have a martin DCPA 1, which has the built in tuner and awesome electronics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Tis Nancy indeed. And she's aged well. Seen Heart twice and would like to see 'em again.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Nice! Wish I knew how to play.
    867-5309

I have no problem holding even my old, deep bowl Ovation...'course, I'm pretty thin so maybe that's the difference. One of the points of this post was that the super shallow bowl Ovations fit like any solid bodied electric guitar.

Nice Guitar.

I've had many but kept a mid-grade Alvarez for the last 30 years and finally broke down and bought a Gibson J45 last year. It's sounds and plays so much better. Every time i pick it up i wish i'd bought it 20 years ago.

As for the ovations, they have their place. There were several songs written with them from the late 70's to early 90's. If you were playing covers, you'd better have one on hand. I had the Glen Campbell Signature 12 string from 88-92. Moved over to an Alvarez Yairi 12 in 92. My uncle had the Applause, which was the "bargain" version of the Ovation. It always had a unique sound and sounded pretty good when playing things like the late 70's early 80's doobies, bad company, etc..

I was actually looking at the new Ovations last year and thought about ordering one. It was the blacked out one.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

thats my jenny...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.