Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Farm pond Fixin'

Crappie gotta go. Watched a great pond go straight to Hell because of an introduction of crappie.

When good ponds go crappie...

This is who I received pond assistance from:

Mr. Hal Beard - SCDNR fisheries biologist
    Mr. Charles Davis - Clemson Extension

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    When good ponds go crappie...
    Ha

There is a lot more to it than I could comprehend. Algae blooms, water clarity, timing of putting in which fish and so on. Get a professional to assist you is my 2 cents. Dude that helped me retired from DNR fisheries. I was advised against crappie or catfish and weed control is expensive whether you go poison or carp. I got the hybrid bass and they have grown slower than expected, about 6 years to average 3 lbs. A lot of variables that I was unaware of. Feeding them is key and feeders are a pain to maintain.

I'd ask a real biologist but I think it might be better to hit it with Rotenone instead of draining, unless you can be assured of really drying it out. If I was going to the trouble of starting over, I wouldn't leave it to chance that any crappie could survive.

If you decide to kill all the fish in the pond, use dynamite. Make sure you take your surfboard to surf the waves after the explosion.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I'd ask a real biologist but I think it might be better to hit it with Rotenone instead of draining, unless you can be assured of really drying it out. If I was going to the trouble of starting over, I wouldn't leave it to chance that any crappie could survive.
    It's amazing what all survived after the dam busted. And it didn't look like anything more than a creek. Nature is resilient.

And I hope coonsqualler meant hybrid brem. 3# for hybrid bass after 6 years isn't right at all.

That is correct, it is hybrid bass (F-30s or T-30s or some such) and it is not what we were hoping for. The bream and shellcrackers are diesel powered. Bass are not.

Quote Originally Posted by coonsqualler01 View Post
    Feeding them is key and feeders are a pain to maintain.
    If you decide to feed them, get a Sweeney feeder. Mine has been absolutely trouble free for more than three years. All I do is fill it.

Just "push" every time you take a picture. Seems to be a pretty effective technique.

Drain it, seine what little water may be left, and have one hell of a fish fry/beer drinking snapping turtle round up.

Refill and then stock appropriately. Wait. Catch fish and enjoy.

We have had crappie in our pond ever since it was built 28 years ago. It is only 2 acres and loaded with fish of all varieties. I have always heard the crappie rumor but have never seen it in any pond around my house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Neighbors pond has bass bream and crappie. And the bass are commonly 8-9lbs

I've fished (and shot bass) in small ponds that had crappie and big bass, but they always were full of cover, vegetation, and a forage species other than bream. I agree with asking talking to a biologist, but draining and restocking will have you waiting 10 years to catch a big bass, and that's if you can keep it in balance.