Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: no dove field bc of pigweed?

Default no dove field bc of pigweed?

I have a dove club that has decided not to have a field this year. well, at least not one with sunflowers "in an effort to control pigweed." Farmer says he will plant other stuff....so he can "control the pigweed."

I dont like the idea. Doves like sunflowers. and clean dirt. Sure, I get that.

to the farmer folk:
    A) how can you control pigweed in clearfield sunflowers?
    B) If you didnt plant flowers, what the hell would you plant and how does that help control pigweed?

to the dove field people:
    A) wouldnt that piss you off?
    B) wouldnt you tell them so?

I'm an ass. I get that....but situations like this dont allow me to be anything else.

I need some fodder so I can have this discussion with the farmer. or, I'm gonna buy the shit and do it myself.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Pre emerge with dual magnum and post emerge with lightning , if you can still find it . From my experience,cadre seems to work better on sicklepod,but lightning seems to work a lot better on the pigweed .
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

I wish I had an answer. If I was paying money for a dove club and they didn't plant sunflowers, I'd be pissed too! That would be like showing up to a party and there's no beer or snacks!
    867-5309

Sicklepod killed our field last year.
    We plowed it under, tried our best to kill it and shot public fields,

Trying again this year
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I've got so much to say about this, and I'll try to come back to it. But that whole reason is just silliness.

I'd be mad. What does he care if there's pigweed as long as y'all are paying the money? Do the best you can then bushhog or burn the snot out of it when the time comes.

I'm not a farmer but I know some.

Why don't you split the field in half and rotate the crop. Doing the same shit and expecting different results doesn't make sense.

Doves love pigweed, dove hunters love sunflowers.
    cut\'em

If the farmer owns the land, ain’t much you can say. If you bitch to the landowner about the farmer, you will be hunting another dove club. This is why farmers/ landowners hates leasing/ renting land to hunters. Whinny and bitchin hunters

I’d be mad. But then I’d build a bridge and....well you know the rest
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by DUCK BUSTER 68 View Post
    Pre emerge with dual magnum and post emerge with lightning , if you can still find it . From my experience,cadre seems to work better on sicklepod,but lightning seems to work a lot better on the pigweed .
    this was my suggestion.

i would wager a fair amount of money that I can have a better dove field maintained like DB68 said than whatever the farmer is thinking he can do with millet or some such silly shit.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Hurricane season is going to fuck everything up anyway. Prayers sent.

A couple years ago, my dove club had a work day on which we manually whacked as much pigweed as possible in the standing sunflowers. A weedeater with a carbide brush blade will do some work on pigweed but it ain't fun.

It would seem to my uneducated mind that a backpack sprayer with some heinous herbicide would do a better job of surgically killing it down to the roots than cutting it or spraying over the whole field.

Pigweed is from the devil.

Southernduck typed what I was thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    A couple years ago, my dove club had a work day on which we manually whacked as much pigweed as possible in the standing sunflowers. A weedeater with a carbide brush blade will do some work on pigweed but it ain't fun.

It would seem to my uneducated mind that a backpack sprayer with some heinous herbicide would do a better job of surgically killing it down to the roots than cutting it or spraying over the whole field.

Pigweed is from the devil.
    Wouldn’t that cause more pigweed to grow?

He'll plant corn. Tell him to pick it for deer corn. Then take your lawn mower on an expanded metal floor trailer over to the "club". Get welder buddy to cut a 2-3" hole in the top of the deck and fashion a funnel above it. Get buddy to drive around the field while you "mow" it on the trailer with your oldest kid jambing deer corn into the hole. Sheesh...it aint that hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    this was my suggestion.

i would wager a fair amount of money that I can have a better dove field maintained like DB68 said than whatever the farmer is thinking he can do with millet or some such silly shit.
    They problem is that you have to have moisture, and someone ready to spray, when it is time for the post emergent.

I wouldn't step foot on the field if there isn't a beer filled refreshment cart going around....oh and sunflowers....lots and lots of them!
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 04-05-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Why don't you split the field in half and rotate the crop. Doing the same shit and expecting different results doesn't make sense.

Doves love pigweed, dove hunters love sunflowers.
    Makes sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Hurricane season is going to fuck everything up anyway. Prayers sent.
    This does too.

Only other thing I would suggest is pulling it by hand. It sucks but I've seen some big ass piles created. Pull it up by the root. And make sure the root doesn't get contact with the ground after the fact. Seen plenty pulled and sprout again. Give your kids some Verizon gift cards in exchange for weed pulling.

Half corn half flowers. Keep your corn 100% clean with post emergent atrazine and gly application

Any openings?