Thread: 4-2

Default 4-2

Got to hunt with a good friend Monday morning. He works crazy schedules so we don't get to hunt together much anymore. We set up in a field with a strutter decoy before daybreak. We heard a couple gobbles on the roost but nothing real close. About 30 minutes after daylight we got one to respond and it sounded like he was headed our way. He went silent and we didnt see or hear anything for a good 20 mins. Finally we catch a glimpse of him slipping through the woods on the edge of field but he wasn't interested in our setup.
    We waited another 20 mins and finally decided to move to a road bordering the property back in the woods. We found an area with some scratching sign and set up close to the road. We sat together and called a few times with no responses. Had a group of 3-4 does come trotting through that kept our interest up for 15 mins or so.
    There was a downed tree about 30 yards in front of us limiting our view in one direction. About 45 mins after we sat there a gobbler just appeared right next to the tree coming our way. Luckily i had my gun somewhat ready. The bird never made a sound but strutted a little as he checked out the decoy. He was getting very close and as soon as he walked past another downed tree i raised my gun. As soon as his head came into view i popped him at 20 yards.2018-04-07 07.23.34.jpg

Nice bird. Even had the footware to chase him down if needed.

Default 4-2

Nothing says turkey season like silence and strutter decoys
    Last edited by trkykilr; 04-07-2018 at 08:49 AM.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Ah the old trespassing footwear.... Nice work
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Congrats!

You were definitely ready with those go-fasters on.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter