Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farm pond Fixin'

Default Farm pond Fixin'

Got a 6 acre fairly deep water pond that historical had decent bass and great bream fishing. There are also some crappie in pond. Plenty of fish have been taken over the last 15 years but fish have remained small for the most part. Now numbers seem low and size is still small. Would like to return it to its former decency. Who to call?

Ghost busters?

Catch and keep all the buck bass and crappie you can!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

I've always been told not to put crappie in a small pond. They'll overproduce and you'll end up with ...well, low numbers of small fish.

I will bet that a pond biologist will advise you to kill everything with poison and start over with bluegills, shellcrackers, redbreast and bass. Even with the right fish, you'll need to pull out a certain amount each year to keep it healthy.

With my new ponds, I was told to add the bream in November and then add bass in the spring. You may have missed your opportunity this year.

Go to the lake and catch you some big bass, transfer them to pond.
    867-5309

Derek long

Call Shane
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

or Cannon Taylor

Pee paw would have know what to do...RIP Pee Paw
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Maybe you just suck at catching the big ones? I mean that could be a possibility, right?! Other than that, I've got nothing for you! Good luck..

Kayak caught a 14 lb 10ozer out of that pond yesterday. I am not sure what the problem is.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

I would call KRT. He can fix anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I've always been told not to put crappie in a small pond. They'll overproduce and you'll end up with ...well, low numbers of small fish.

I will bet that a pond biologist will advise you to kill everything with poison and start over with bluegills, shellcrackers, redbreast and bass. Even with the right fish, you'll need to pull out a certain amount each year to keep it healthy.

With my new ponds, I was told to add the bream in November and then add bass in the spring. You may have missed your opportunity this year.
    Second.

If you have reliable water for re-fill: drain it, net and otherwise kill all fish left, add lime and fertilizer, let terrestrial veg grow while water is down, add structure and cover while down, start filling and add bream in late fall, bass in the spring

a useful reference: http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgi.../hgic1712.html

Thanks for tips and jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    Kayak caught a 14 lb 10ozer out of that pond yesterday. I am not sure what the problem is.
    And that was a shellcracker. I am guessing that the black bass in that pond may be big enough to kill a man.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

I think starting over would be your best bet. I use to have the pleasure of fishing a pond managed by Southeast Pond Management. Once it was established, every fish under 14" came out once caught. The owner didn't care if you threw it on the bank or threw it in hot grease, if it was under 14" you best not put it back in.

Crappie are never a good thing in small ponds, draining could/should get them out.

If you do drain it, stock it with F1 hybrid bass, the grow quick and are aggressive as can be.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Get in your bass boat and yelp at em on a Buice trumpet. They will float to the top and you can dip net em.......

That sounds like a perfect recipe for new child support payments in 3/4 of a year

Or drain it and net them out. You shouldnt have any problem filling it back up with all the tears you shed because kids cant run a trumpet.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post

Yeap. Crappie are out eating the bass.