I am getting a Small Munsterlander pointer in May and have never trained a pointer type dog. I have trained a few golden retrievers/labs that are all great house dogs and decent in the dove field/duck blind (sit to shot, retrieve birds that they see fall).

I am wanting our new dog to not only be a good dog in the dove field/duck blind but I also want the dog to be able to hunt and find released quail at our family farm. What are the do's/don'ts of training a dog for both? I have heard people say do not teach a pointing dog to "sit" which is something I will definitely be doing for the dove field.. Are there any good books out there for a versatile dog? Any experiences with Small Munsterlanders?

How soon do I begin to teach the "whoa" command? How soon do I introduce the dog to live birds? How do I teach the dog the "whoa" command and also teach the dog "place" without him sitting or laying down during "whoa"? These may all be dumb/stupid questions for anyone that has ever trained one but I am needing some guidance.

Thanks for any help or advice.