Thread: Damn everybody is burning today

Default Damn everybody is burning today

RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

They need to burn something. I'm not feeling 80 degrees up in here so far today.

I noticed 4 or 5 different burns this past weekend.

Good day for it! I wish I could today....I've got 2 more small burns to do then I am done.
    Last edited by Johnny Reb; 03-28-2018 at 10:06 AM.

Yes it is. Getting a little iffy for the hen nest though I'm guessing.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Agree it's getting late. We burned about 3 weeks ago, which I thought was too late as it is due to some budding. I gave them a March 15 deadline due to nesting concerns.
    Carolina Counsel

Good call!!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

We burned yesterday and plan to burn tomorrow. While I understand your concern with nesting hens, multiple studies prove that they will re nest and habitat benfits outweigh potential lost nests. Do I think it's smart to burn a 1000 acres in May, no. You have to understand though that true hardwood control in a pine stand is hard to achieve while trees are dormant.
    More Ducks, Less People

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Agree it's getting late. We burned about 3 weeks ago, which I thought was too late as it is due to some budding. I gave them a March 15 deadline due to nesting concerns.
    SCFC do it?

I did a shitty burn that I thought didn't cook near hot enough due to humidity and fuel moisture but was surprised to see it kill 2" hardwoods (8-10' tall) This was done in early feb. they don't have to have green buds to kill em.

Quote Originally Posted by scquackaddict View Post
    We burned yesterday and plan to burn tomorrow. While I understand your concern with nesting hens, multiple studies prove that they will re nest and habitat benfits outweigh potential lost nests. Do I think it's smart to burn a 1000 acres in May, no. You have to understand though that true hardwood control in a pine stand is hard to achieve while trees are dormant.

This is precisely why I am waiting until after April 15 to burn our Quail Preserve. I don’t really care about the one or two nests I may burn because of these studies. I also have talked to numerous biologist at the NWTF and they all agree. I only have 50 acres left to burn. I want it to burn and kill any hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I did a shitty burn that I thought didn't cook near hot enough due to humidity and fuel moisture but was surprised to see it kill 2" hardwoods (8-10' tall) This was done in early feb. they don't have to have green buds to kill em.
    No but you will get better long term kills with a late season burn. One of the main differences is that tree you killed will root sprout. You will not get rid of all root sprout but I have less during late season burns.

I burned 109 acres this year to do a fuel reduction so I can burn it late to early summer. That way It will be less fuel and easier to manage this time or later next year.

No shit Sherlock

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    This is precisely why I am waiting until after April 15 to burn our Quail Preserve. I don’t really care about the one or two nests I may burn because of these studies. I also have talked to numerous biologist at the NWTF and they all agree. I only have 50 acres left to burn. I want it to burn and kill any hardwoods.
    I guess you aren't concerned about rabbits either. You arm chair habitat managers don't understand the big picture. That's why ya'll suck at quail management.

Air chair manager haha. Most of my burning is done as part of my job. I am not advocating only growing season burns simply saying you need to see the big picture. We start burning usually in October and burn through May. We burn many different habitat types and try to cater weather and time of year to what is best. Different stands need different types of burns. There can also be benefits from alternating time of year and wind direction you burn a stand. While you may lose a few trees and an animal or two at certain times this can be an acceptable loss to achieve a broader management goal. January backfire isn't the only acceptable burning option.
    More Ducks, Less People

stand down, the sun came out over here..

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I guess you aren't concerned about rabbits either. You arm chair habitat managers don't understand the big picture. That's why ya'll suck at quail management.
    Lmao.