Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Edibles...who else?

Somebody school me on Polk salad...when to pick and how to prepare.

Morels are prolly the easiest mushroom to id. The only lookalike, a false morel, is filled with a spongy substance when sliced in half. Morels are ALWAYS hollow. Even so, a false won't necessarily kill you after one bite. I know two older fellers that eat em just the same and have all their lives, but similar to heavy metal poisoning, they have a toxin that builds up and never leaves your system.

polk salad annie....now that's a song i haven't heard in a looong time

It's POKE.....not Polk
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Poke SALLET at that.
    Prepare like you would spinach or greens. Just don't eat raw as it is toxic.

boil in two waters
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Somebody school me on Polk salad...when to pick and how to prepare.
    Boil about two or three minutes drain and dry. Some do that twice. Brown some onions in butter or fatback/ bacon grease, add the poke salad, get it cooking hot then scramble in a couple of eggs salt and black pepper to suit. I like a little red pepper flakes in mine too

Im my most recent move I haven't found the box that has my edibles book in it.....I'm missing it for sure!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Baggy nailed it. You can pre-boil them twice if you are worried. The only thing I can add is unless you want extra protein from bugs be sure to look'em when you wash them, just like you would fresh picked collard greens. Also cook them down with a ham hock/pork knuckle or a meaty ham bone if you have saved one, otherwise just do what Baggy said. I like to use wild onions cause my grandmother did. If you use wild onions remember they are much stronger than domestic onions.

I eat poke salad every year. Just be sure to pick from young plants. Don't try to pick leaves off of plants with berries or when the veins have turned red. If you do you will shit your guts out. Pick plenty of it too, it will cook way down.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

This reminds me of one of my daddy's colorful expressions.

If something was very red, he would say it was "red as a fox's butt in pokeberry time."
    Hunting outside the box

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    This reminds me of one of my daddy's colorful expressions.

If something was very red, he would say it was "red as a fox's butt in pokeberry time."
    I like it.

I killed a nice 9 point buck in a clearcut one year and his face was red all around his mouth and underneath his chin. No doubt he had been eating poke berries. He must have been slobbering a lot too.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Oh hail yes! pulled some bird from '15 out of the freezer and had fried wild turkey, wilted ramps, and wild mushrooms twice last week. First batch was with some oyster mushrooms I found last year and froze. Second batch was with this nice mess of small grey morels I finally stumbled upon. I didn't much care for the morels I ate last year, as I battered and fried the one decent haul I brought home. I simply sautéed these in butter, and they are now up at the top of my favorite shrooms...awesome, nutty flavor.
    ;;
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 04-24-2018 at 06:24 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I am on call tonight and do not have to go in tomorrow. The temps have been perfect for morels to blow up if we could just get a little rain. It has rained the last two days, and tomorrow will be sunny with a crisp, pleasant mid 40s sunrise temp and a high of 60. Tomorrow is opening day of turkey season here. I have permission to hunt the one spot I know of in this entire county that actually has a large number of turkeys on it. Tomorrow has all the makings of an EPIC day...if I can just avoid screwing it up!

Update...
    Well, my 6 yo has decided he definitely wants to turkey hunt with my old youth 20ga single shot in the am. This is the first time he has wanted anything to do with a "loud gun," and he has never been still longer than 15 seconds in his life. This is going to be a hoot.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 04-24-2018 at 09:10 PM.

Well, Holleman would not get out of the bed this am. I figure this was probably best, as I need to get a blind/hide set up for us to get one close for him. Set up a little far away from the action, and after an hour of listening to the birds enjoying themselves somewhere over the rise in front of me, I slipped along the edge of the field I have permission to hunt in an irrigation ditch just on the edge of the trees. As I neared where I heard a hen yelping, I could tell that all the birds up on a hillside in the woods...the woods are a no go, so I had to hope the birds would get into the field. I found a decent hide on the edge, plopped down, and gave my new Spring Allure copper pot I received two days ago a nice, soft run. I put it down and called with my diaphragm call just to see if they wanted to hear multiple birds. As soon as I stopped my yelp run, I see two white heads coming thru a little corner of woods sticking out into the field. They blew up, let down, and cut back in the woods up the hill. I was thinking they were trying to cut around behind me, but they were just walking around the fence and they hit the field at 30 yards. I couldn't decide which was bigger, so I settled on the back bird and called. They lifted their heads in unison, and I squeezed. No flopping at all. The lead bird looked at his dead buddy, looked around, and eased back into the woods from where he came. As I was taking the pics, I could hear him and others gobbling 100 yards through the woods and could see them strutting in a grassy opening. I built a great blind/hide right there, and Saturday am, Holleman is going to get a crack at one of those gobblers...I hope its this ones twin that walked away...
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 04-25-2018 at 05:57 PM.

Then I picked up my boys from school and took them morel hunting...and they did indeed blow up (the shrooms). Saw a hen on her nest...she flew off after we nearly stepped on her...on the mushrooming ground, and no one has ever seen a turkey there before. Anyhow, this is a personal best for sure. 25.6 lbs (didn't have enough shrooms for the .6, so rounded up)
    Beard one is 9 7/8"; beard two is 11" paintbrush; left spur 1 3/8"; right spur 1 9/16".
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 04-25-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Nice!

And to top off the perfect day...my case of Curly Wurlys arrived from England! For the old fuggers on here...remember the single greatest candy bar ever invented? The perfect combination of milk chocolate and chewy caramel? The one and only Marathon Bar!

Much like the greatest canned pasta and meatballs....the Roller Coasters from Chef Boyardee...the Marathon Bar was discontinued...for no other reason than to piss off people who appreciate great tasting stuff. Cadbury makes the same bar, but only sells it in England. Amazon.com will get them to your door with free shipping at .50 a candy bar...HOW???
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 04-25-2018 at 08:33 PM.

Awesome! Congrats!
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I simply can not believe I didn’t get a LOT more love for the Marathon bar. WTF is wrong with you people...maybe I’m just old.

They still make whatchamacallits and I can pick em up at the corner store.....just sayin.