Thread: Electronics

Default Electronics

So I have a Pathfinder 1900 that currently has a Lowrance HDS7 Gen 1 on it flush mounted. When fishing for stripers on Murray it is pretty small when you go split screen between chart and sonar. I don't really have much room on the dash to mount a bigger unit, but was thinking about two options. Is there a newer unit that would fit in the same hole that would have a bigger screen that might be touchscreen so minimizing the extra space for buttons but getting a bigger screen, or do any of yall run two units that would have one for sonar and one for charts? The boat used to have a unit mounted on top of the console before they installed the flush mounted HDS7 so there is an area there to add a unit. Any advice would be helpful

You'd probably enjoy having 2 different units. I've got a buddy that has a 2 unit set up and it is really nice when fishing because you don't have to struggle to see details, especially if you're not standing right next to it. I don't know exactly what your unit looks like but I can't imagine going to one with touchscreen is going to make a drastic difference in split-screen size.
    Last edited by fowlshot; 03-26-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Go with two units.

Bottom unit recently shit the bed and I upgraded to Gen 3 HDS9 through Lowrance warranty program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Thanks. My unit looks just like your bottom one. Was thinking about going with something like that. Any recommendation for a unit that would not need much install wise(like no transducer) that will still show great map detail. My current HDS7 has structure scan, which I rarely use, but is good on the sonar so would probably just go with the mapping option on the new unit.

Get the biggest touch screen your budget will allow
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I ran two 7" screens that then moved to one 12" and never looked back. Like Griffin said, get the biggest the budget will allow.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

The only problem that I have with going to one unit is that it would need to stay in the 7" range category because I don't want to leave a hole in the console and I will not be able to mount a bigger one there. Now I could mount another unit on top of the console and could go bigger on that but if I remember correctly I will not need to worry about a transducer currently if I'm only going to be using it for mapping purposes and not sonar/imaging

Also is there any benefit to adding a second Lowrance unit? Possible to link them together? Or will any of it matter since they will probably be on different screens (sonar on one and charts on the other)
    Last edited by theoldblackdog; 03-26-2018 at 10:59 AM.

All HDS units have interlink capability but I don't see why for your application. Link is normally for bow and console situation. Only way I'd do two units is with two 12" screens.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Post a picture of the space you have. I fabricate a bunch of different mounts for bass boat applications. Might be able to come up with an idea. Also for what it's worth the gen 2 touch 9 isn't much much larger than the gen 1 HDS 7 in terms of physical size

Will do this afternoon when I get home.

Leave your original HDS7 for nav, and then get the biggest you can fit or afford for a second and run down and side scan.

I have a HDS5 Gen1 for nav and sonar, then a HDS7 for side and down scan.

You can link the HDS7 Gen2 to the new touch screen easily. If you have things like Sonichub, Structurescan and other Lowrance units on your DSM1-2 then you might have to get the expansion module to link them up. I run two on the Pioneer and have the chart up on the HDS7 and sonar on the HDS10 with a split screen and bottom lock/zoom on one side.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Since you have a Gen 1, I would run charts on it since its a slower processor and you wont need to make adjustments except zoom in and out on it. I would get a Gen 3 HDS 7 for your new unit. They are fairly cheap($600) with no transducer.and the processor speed is fast. Do not get a Ram mount for it,....get a Balzout......you won't regret it.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/BalZo...page-BALZ.html

https://www.tackledirect.com/lowranc...4aAsJnEALw_wcB
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 03-26-2018 at 03:08 PM.

3B7558ED-E507-4439-8E32-D041BDE67C18.jpg

Here is the picture of my console. You can see the current Lowrance and then on top of the console where there was one mounted up there but when they did the flush mount they just put fishing line up there in the mount. Not a terrible idea except for how fast the line will rot out in the sun nonstop.

Take the glove box out and put an acrylic panel over the upper dash for two units. I can laser cut a panel for you that will make it look like there was never a glove box there. We could even incorporate the gauges and switches into the new panel.
    Last edited by sftull; 03-26-2018 at 03:43 PM.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Actually like the glove box and don’t really want to lose it. Holds all the wallets/IDs, phones, and whatnot

Build an electronics box that sits on top of your console, will give you more storage and as much room for whatever electronics you want.

I like two units, one for depth,radar, etc, and one for chart.

Ah heck, you gots mega room. Use the gen1 for gps and get you a big ass gen 3 and rock out

So we have one thread where a dude wants to know how to catch enough fish to keep his kids interested so they won’t play with their electronic devices all the time and then we have this thread......

I run an HDS 9 gen 2 touch and it works really well. I split my chart to the smallest size most of the time and run sonar and it works well. If I want side scan I go one screen and it’s pretty solid. I compared it to a buddies HDS 7 touch and it was well worth the money for a 9. If 12 was in the budget I’d get it. I have it on a Hewes but I did a ram mount so I can flip it around to bow. Doesn’t work great but good enough. I think the overall footprint isn’t that much more than your 7. Also I picked up a hot maps chip and it works great. 1 foot contours on Murray and Hartwell is nice.